Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-01-2006, 05:07 AM   #1
Jory Boling

Dojo: A.K.I.,Misakikai Dojo
United_States
Osaka & Kyoto recommendations

Hi,
Can anyone recommend something to do in Osaka for a few hours during the day? I'm meeting an aikibuddy (and friend) at the airport. The problem is, he will be coming in the evening and i'm arriving early that same day. Can anyone recommend anything to do for a few hours (training or just sightseeing)? I've never been there at all.

Also, we're going to be going to Kyoto for a few days. Can anyone suggest some training there? Or any great places for budo-related shopping or off the beaten path sightseeing?

Thanks again,
Jory

Old 03-01-2006, 05:39 AM   #2
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
Re: Osaka & Kyoto recommendations

Despite spending a lot of time in Kobe, I don't know much about Osaka I'm afraid. Kyoto however.....

I've heard good things about Okamoto Sensei in Kyoto
http://aikidokyoto.com/e-index.htm

As for off the beaten track tourism, I recommend Saga nr Arishiyama on the Western edge of Kyoto. Tenryuji at Arashiyama is one of my favourite all time temples and there are some lovely walks through the bamboo forest of Saga, with some nice shops hidden away.

Not so off the beaten track, you of course have Kiyomizudera, Sanjusangendo, Ryoanji, Kinkakuji, all well worth a visit if you haven't been before.

When are you going? I'll be in Japan from 30th this month to 16th April, will be based in Kobe but will visit Kyoto during the trip.

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 03-01-2006, 07:08 AM   #3
Jory Boling

United_States

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I'll be in Kyoto from the 31st of March to the 3rd or 4th of April. I've been to Kyoto once but my friend has never been. We will hit the major tourist spots and spend some time at Hiei-yama.
I did see the bamboo forest in Saga.

I might be able to hit Okamoto Sensei's morning class at the Kyoto Budo Center or another class at Tambabashi Fushimi Seishonen Katsudo Center (if it can be found).

One of my good friends back in the USA is from Kobe. I'm guessing you already know your way around but if you need any info, I'm happy to ask.

Thanks again for the info!

Jory
Old 03-01-2006, 07:31 AM   #4
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

I'd recommend Ryoanji, and just walking through the beautifull neighborhood just down the hill from it. Absolutely fantastic place to stroll in good weather. Also, get over to the parks in Nara if you get a chance. I know it's kind of sappy, but I did enjoy feeding the deer, and having them bow. I didn't really like Osaka too much myself, but I don't like big cities.

I think Kyoto has a really neat market place about 4 stories of second and first hand stuff...I got a beautifull haori there.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 03-01-2006, 08:50 AM   #5
Jory Boling

United_States

Ron,
thanks for the reply
do you know where that market place is? or is it wellknown enough that any local would know?
and i'm kinda with you on bigger cities. it's just i have no choice but to sit around for about 7 hours.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:53 AM   #6
Brad Darr
Dojo: Aikido of Flagstaff/Seibukan Aikido Kobe
United_States

As I currently live outside Osaka, you should definately go to the Aquarium in Osaka if you have time, its well worth it. In Kyoto I definately recommend Arashiyama, as Bryan said Tenryuji has an amzing garden and pond, if you are on the other side of town by Kyomizudera, definately see that, and Sanjusangendo is just cool. You should be getting here for the beginning of Cherry Blossoms maybe or the end of the Plum Blossoms so Kyoto will be amazing. There are a few other things to see and do in Osaka but mainly its just a big city. If you want to train I have heard good things about Fujitani sensei teaching in Juso, which is right outside Osaka. Or if you have time you can drop by Kobe and train with Nakao sensei in the early morning. Let me know if you need any other help.

the edges of the sword are life and death
no one knows which is which
-Ikkyu Sojun
Old 03-01-2006, 08:59 AM   #7
Ron Tisdale
United_States

I think the market should be well known by locals, but I may ask my instructor tonight if I get an opportunity...he may remember the name.

If you can get to Kobe, Nakao Sensei is a 'must train with'. I trained with him once, here in the states, and he is amazing. I would not pass up that opportunity.

Brad, how long have you trained with Nakao Sensei? Please tell him the African American Yoshinkan student he trained with in Pennsylvania sends his regards and best wishes. And thanks for a wonderfull time on the mat. I doubt he remembers my name...

Best,
Ron

Last edited by Ron Tisdale : 03-01-2006 at 09:01 AM.

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 03-01-2006, 10:00 AM   #8
rottunpunk
Dojo: koteikan aikido centre
United Kingdom

shopping!!!
theres some good cheap budo stores in kyoto.
and lots of koryu iai dojos (if you are interested in them)
and a museum
and stuff

take me take me.
im only ickle, i could hide in your hand luggage
Old 03-01-2006, 12:31 PM   #9
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States

My suggestion is to EAT AS MUCH FOOD AS YOU CAN! Try everything - it's all delicious - even Japan's versions of Europe's, India's, and China's best - soooooo tasty! I suggest you not just eat to eat but that you make eating a central aspect of your touring. You won't be let down if you do, and you'll have some powerful memories to take home with you.

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:42 PM   #10
batemanb

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
If you can get to Kobe, Nakao Sensei is a 'must train with'. I trained with him once, here in the states, and he is amazing. I would not pass up that opportunity.
I will be training with Nakao sensei as much as possible during my trip, although the first week is taking a hit because of commitments to visit family members and friends in Tokyo and such. I will be around 1 and 2 but then disappear for 4 days , back on 7, out on 8 (Peter, Peter, Michael ), and then as much as possible until 16 .

Hope to catch up with Brad at the Seibukan, happy to catch up with Jory too if you're down Kobe way 1 or 2, good keiko on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

regards

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 03-01-2006, 02:44 PM   #11
batemanb

Quote:
Deborah Bell wrote:
shopping!!!
theres some good cheap budo stores in kyoto.
and lots of koryu iai dojos (if you are interested in them)
and a museum
and stuff

take me take me.
im only ickle, i could hide in your hand luggage
Deborah,

did you go to the course on Sunday? You didn't introduce yourself!!

rgds
Bryan

Old 03-01-2006, 02:59 PM   #12
koz

Dojo: Kaiso Dobun Kenkyukai
New Zealand

Every time I went to Kyoto, the first place I'd head to was the Maruzen bookstore.

My only piece of advice to you regarding Kyoto is, if you're driving, make sure you know the international symbol for 'no parking'. My first visit there I was dropping a friend off at the train station and had some time to kill. Arrived early in the morning (like before 6am) parked in the central city (where there were plenty of other parked cars) and spent the next few hours wandering around.

When I got back to where I left the van (with all my friend's luggage), it just wasn't there. I checked the landmarks I had used to orient myself, was pretty damned sure this was the place but then spent an hour wandering up and down looking for the van.

Then I happen to look down and see a large piece of paper taped to the ground with both Japanese and English. "Your vehicle has been taken to the Gojo-dori Police station." Great! Spend another 30 minutes trying to find it only to discover I had parked right outside it.

Spent all the money I had for book buying to get my vehicle back and it still wasn't enough! Had to phone my Sensei to vouch for me and promise to pay off the remainder at my local police station!

True mastery can be gained
by letting things go their own way.

Lao Tzu - Tao Te Ching, Ch48
Old 03-01-2006, 03:02 PM   #13
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Ouch! I've heard stories like this...hey, at least they didn't ask for you first born male child...

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 03-01-2006, 08:52 PM   #14
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States

Quote:
Jim Sisley wrote:
Paul,

You might be saddened to know that the Maruzen is no longer in business in Kyoto. Yeah, I couldn't believe it either. Closed down last summer.

Jim
SHOCKING!

What is there now?

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:11 AM   #15
Duarh

You should definitely not miss the opportunity to train with Okamoto-sensei - her classes are both fun and intense. Also, to me she seemed different from other Japanese instructors in Japan in some interesting ways, perhaps since she spent a long time training/teaching outside Japan (she founded Portland Aikikai).

Okamoto-sensei teaches at the historic budo center among other places - an interesting location to visit in itself. A number of other martial arts are practiced at the center and might be interesting to watch; I loitered in the vicinity of the kyudo range for a little while and was invited in by the sensei to sit down and observe part of the morning class. Fun if you haven't seen kyudo done formally before.

Also right outside the center, on the same street, is the Meirin sword store - excellent place to obtain iaitos/kenjutsu/kendo equipment. There are other gear stores just around the corner.

In Kyoto, I felt like I didn't even need to look for sightseeing locations; I'd just walk around and run into one after the other. . .
Old 03-03-2006, 03:07 AM   #16
koz

Dojo: Kaiso Dobun Kenkyukai
New Zealand

Quote:
Jim Sisley wrote:
Paul,

You might be saddened to know that the Maruzen is no longer in business in Kyoto. Yeah, I couldn't believe it either. Closed down last summer.
Actually, yes. That place was always my first stop in town.

Is the one in Osaka's Shinsaibashi still there or has the chain closed?

True mastery can be gained
by letting things go their own way.

Lao Tzu - Tao Te Ching, Ch48
Old 03-03-2006, 06:36 AM   #17
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Tokugawa Leyasu's palace in Kyoto is worth seeing, Nihonji I think it's called? My memory is shocking! Theres some really good bars/restaurants that overlook the river with balconies too, sitting on a tatami mat with a bar meal and a cold beer looking out over a river is a pretty good way to kill some time

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:42 PM   #18
Dillon
United_States

Getting some good food is a must.
The Aquarium in Osaka is fantastic. Definetly worth a visit if you have the time.
Any of the temples or shrines in Kyoto are great. If you can hop over to Nara, a visit to Todaiji would be an excellent way to spend a couple of hours. It's not far from the station in Nara, so it's easy to get to.

If you get the chance to train with Okamoto Sensei, take it. She's great. Any of her three dojo are nice. The Tambabashi dojo is my favorite, but that's where I spent most of my time, so I'm biased. The butokuden in Kyoto (where she teaches the morning classes) is worth checking out anyway, so if you're in the area you could catch a class there. There are usually a fair number of foreigners in her dojo, so it's easy for an outsider to fit in relatively well.