Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-30-2003, 11:13 AM   #1
kensparrow
Dojo: Methuen Aikido
Yoshinkan

Hi folks,

I have a question for you Yoshinkan types out there. I'm in the process of reading "Angry White Pyjamas" which, if you havn't read it, is about a guy who goes through the Riot Police Aikido course at the Yoshinkan headquarters dojo in Tokyo. I was shocked by the physical and mental brutality (both in the Riot Police course and in the normal classes) the author describes and wanted to know if this was for real. I've read some other books about the Yoshinkan style and it didn't come across that way to me, but I've also never had the opportunity to train with any Yoshinkan people either.

What I read was so far removed from my Aikido experiences that I just can't wrap my mind around it.
Old 06-30-2003, 11:30 AM   #2
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
I recommend that you read the reviews of the book on this site and others to get some context. Twiggef was writing a book for publication...I think a certain license may have been taken. The reviews will offer a bit of perspective from some of the people he castigates in his book.

For what its worth, I did enjoy reading the book, but have met / trained with many of those castigated, and they do not strike me at all as they seem to strike Twigger. They have quite a different take on some of the things he has to say, of course. I trust them.

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 06-30-2003, 11:48 AM   #3
kensparrow
Dojo: Methuen Aikido
Thanks Ron,

I figured there had to be more to it. I'm sure there are individual people out there who are that egotistical and sadistic but it really disturbed me to think that there could be an entire system based on that (especially one calling itself aikido)
Old 06-30-2003, 01:55 PM   #4
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
You're welcome. Oh, and don't get me wrong...there are some (cough) bad eggs out there...but I've seen them in every art and just about every association.

RT

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 07-01-2003, 01:49 PM   #5
aikidodragongio

Dojo: Shinbeikan
Ken, I have to tell you something, Yoshinkai involves very rigorous training, but not to the point the author described. Keep in mind that the Riot Police Course is an intensive course with a very specific purpose. To teach these individuals proficiency in a very short period of time. I will admit that there are some dojos that will be tough on you, but that goes with the territory. If you a "Kreese" type teacher in the dojo, expect punishment. However, for the most part, Yoshinkai is just another form of aikido for all aikidoka to experience. It also happens to be my particular preference. ;o)

That which does not kill us can only make us stronger
Old 07-01-2003, 02:11 PM   #6
Eric Joyce
Dojo: Budoshingikan
United_States
Ditto to Ron and Giovanni. Take the book with a grain of salt.

Eric Joyce
Otake Han Doshin Ryu Jujutsu