Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-07-2002, 06:06 PM   #26
guest1234
I think each sub group within Aikido has a certain look or feel that marks it, ASU included, and I wouldn't say that flexibility or variation was a mark necessarily for any of them, each of them displays that, and it is not, in my mind, the hallmark of ASU. The person who mentioned 'atemi' was not too far off the mark, in my opinion.

I think it comes from years and years of training and progression in that group, that to stay for any extended period you will be confortable with a central theme or feel put out by your sensei. There is one shihan I admire who displays a genuine desire to teach, and his students reflect that in their teaching of their own students. Another seemed to embody respect for the tradition of Aikido and love for the founder; I see that very distinctly in his students. One teacher I had had himself trained both in Yoshinkan and then under a particularly demanding Aikikai shihan in CA before starting his own style...another dojo's teachers told me they always know when they get one of his students, by the excellent ukemi (yeah, I laughed, our survival tactics)

I think, both consiously and subconsciously our teachers influence us, and we gravitate to that which is comfortable. So even if, through personality or size, we don't look like our teachers on first glance, there will be a basic thread in us that resembles the basic thread in our teacher. I can see that in ASU as easily as in Iwama or Yoshinkai or Ki Society, and it has nothing to do with how many variations of technique, or even the flow from one to another, since I've seen that in all of them. It seems to me to be something a lot deeper.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:41 AM   #27
ScottyC
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Goldsbury
4. Finally, I would sound a note of caution. In principle, I think that cross-training and experiencing other ways of practising aikido is a very good thing. But I think it depends on the student (and to a lesser extent his/her instructor). It should not be done too early. At present it would be very unwise for some of my own beginning students here to train elsewhere yet, because they have not yet internalised the basic movements and principles I am teaching them.[/b]
I couldn't agree more. I'll be one of the first to extol the virtues of cross-training, and being open to the things one can learn from other styles.

However, I'll also be one of the first to say, like you, that beginners (and semi-beginners) should not stray outside their initial instructing paradigm.

For people who are still trying to acquire the basics, exposure to significantly different styles and methodologies would be confusing at best, and downright detrimental at worst.

Best,
Scott

Scott Crawford