Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-03-2001, 08:30 AM   #1
Dajo251
Dojo: Aikido Downtown
United_States
Politics in aikid

currently I am writing a paper on the politics of aikido for school and i was wondering if any one could offer their views on this subject. Just so you know you may be used as a sorce for this paper so inform me if you dont wish your name to be mentioned. Politics in this sense means "my aikido is better than your aikido" and why there a hard feelings between instructors at schools in the same area's.
Thanks in advanced for your contributions
Dan Hulley
Old 06-05-2001, 10:59 AM   #2
Erik
Re: Politics in aikid

I edited this puppy and realized I shouldn't post here until the caffiene kicks in and then I shouldn't post once too much has kicked in.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dajo251
Politics in this sense means "my aikido is better than your aikido"
The politically correct answer is that it's all Aikido and it's all good. It will be a rare individual who would comment on another style negatively in a public forum and like most other's I won't be that individual either, at least not today. However, the day is young in my neck of the woods.

So my answer is that it's all aikido and it's all good.

It's also the hypocrite's answer, at least most of the time, and certainly in my case. I've also seen, say at least one other person , give that answer in public and then in private give a much different answer. If you think about it for a second, isn't it natural for the harder style folks to look askance at the softer styles and vice versa? Of course it is. Each has chosen a practice and must have seen value in that practice.

I have opinions on the different styles that I've been exposed to or seen. I definitely think that the version of Aikido which I spend the majority of my time with is the best, at least for my purposes.

I'm betting everyone pretty much feels that way.

Quote:
and why there a hard feelings between instructors at schools in the same area's.
Thanks in advanced for your contributions
To paraphrase Henry Kissenger in talking about why political infighting is so brutal in schools

"because there is so little at stake."

Last edited by Erik : 06-05-2001 at 04:05 PM.