Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-25-2004, 12:01 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
AikiWeb Poll for the week of January 25, 2004:

How often does your main aikido teacher relate weapons work to empty handed work?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Always
  • Almost always
  • Very often
  • Often
  • Somewhat often
  • Seldom
  • Almost never
  • Never
Here are the current results.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:00 AM   #2
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA
Jun, you left out a category:

"we don't have weapons class in our dojo"

It irritates me no end when one of my teachers says "its just like with a sword..." and we don't have the opportunity to explore Why and How, with a sword. It is hard to imagine a tactile experience one has not actually felt.I can "visualize holding the sword" but that will not help my technique one bit if my visualization is technically incorrect!

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 01-25-2004, 09:16 AM   #3
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX
In our practice the two are intertwined. Referance to the "other" is continually made ......."cut hands like with a sword" as Jo said. "drive shoulder towards the ground like thrusting a spear" etc.

I would be amazed if there was a SINGLE instance where the weapons and open hand work were not referanced together.

I love the feel of a sword in hand.....

Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 01-25-2004, 09:41 AM   #4
SeiserL

United_States
Every Friday we have weapons class. Sensei Phong always relates the two.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 01-25-2004, 10:58 AM   #5
akiy

Hi Jo,
Quote:
Jo Adell (Qatana) wrote:

Good point; I've added that. I thought about resetting the poll results, but since I think that people who didn't have weapons classes would have answered "Never" and since there was only one person so far who answered that, I'm going to just leave the poll results as is.

As far as getting weapons classes in, since you're in an area rich with aikido dojo, I'm sure you could visit other dojo that do have weapons classes...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 01-28-2004, 05:51 PM   #6
Doka
Spot on Jo! How can you make reference to something you haven;t taught? Maybe he cannot and it is a throw away line!!??
Quote:
Jo Adell (Qatana) wrote:

It irritates me no end when one of my teachers says "its just like with a sword..." and we don't have the opportunity to explore Why and How, with a sword. It is hard to imagine a tactile experience one has not actually felt.I can "visualize holding the sword" but that will not help my technique one bit if my visualization is technically incorrect!
I introduce students to the bokken and jo as soon as I can, showing solo prsctice, so they can train outside of class, absorbing themselves in their Aiki!!!

Aikido does come from the sword, but you mst know the sword to learn from that.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:12 AM   #7
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom
Almost always and I love it, otherwise we wouldnt know why we do a particular technique that way. I love doing Nikkyo or shihonage with a bokken!

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:48 AM   #8
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA
"How can you make reference to something you haven;t taught? Maybe he cannot and it is a throw away line"

I assure you that my Sensei and many of my sempai are Fully Qualified and Able to teach weapons. However we rent space from a ballet school,it is way too small for weapons work, there are time restrictions both on using the space and other obligations by my teachers.

When i become financially independent and can afford to support two dojos i have every intention of attending regular weapons training, since i am not willing to quit training with my sensei.He totally supports me in this...

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1