Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-27-2004, 07:59 PM   #1
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Thumbs down Cool Experience

Just got back from class, where I had a really cool experience. Bronson from AikiWeb, and several of his students, came to Ypsilanti to train with me. Although the styles of aikido are quite different, we were able to practice in harmony and with a lot of joy. What fun to do something like this! AikiWeb enabled it, as I would never have met Bronson and his students were it not for this forum.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:15 PM   #2
akiy

Re: Cool Experience

Hi Rachel,

It sounds like you had a good time! I'm really glad to hear that these Forums can serve to bring people together. I have been very fortunate to have made a lot of "real life" aikido friends with whom I became acquainted on the Internet whom I may have never met otherwise.

Relatedly, I hope people are thinking about the upcoming AikiWeb Workshop. I'm excited at the chance to meet more folks from all over whom I may only know on the Internet. More information on the event here:

http://www.aikiweb.com/workshop/

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 04-27-2004, 08:26 PM   #3
Mel Barker
Dojo: University of Louisville Aikido Club
United_States

Hi Rachel, Glad you were able to meet someone else from Aikiweb. So far you are the one and only that I have met from the forum. I am planning to attend the Aikiweb Workshop, and I sure hope others will put it on their agenda.

Hey, maybe I should get some students together for a Michigan road trip

Mel
Old 04-27-2004, 08:36 PM   #4
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai

Mel! Absolutely! Grab some folks from Cincinnati on the way up too. You've guys have got a wonderful group of students at the dojo, and it would be a hoot.

I've met Anne-Marie from Florida, Amanda from outside of Boston, Karen from New York, Bronson, Mel, Bob from Chicago, others too who are escaping me right now. I think this is a terrific venue, although I do admit to blushing and wondering what on earth I've said that is inappropriate when someone meets me and says they read me from AikiWeb

Don't know if i'll make the seminar, although it sounds like a lot of fun; depends on the schedule for the rest of summer after the end of summer camp (booked through then).

I would love to have more folks from AikiWeb stop by and train. It is a lot of fun, and I thought Bronson and his gang were particularly nice, and hope to do more of these practices again!
Old 04-28-2004, 11:09 AM   #5
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

We had a great time!! I'm sure we got some strange looks from the security guards watching us from the parking lot cameras at Meijers while we were trying to reenact what we did in class

Rachel was very nice to us. We had the opportunity to do some stuff that we normally don't get to and it's always fun to do something different. Everybody had a great time and would go again in the future. Oh, and the restaurant we went to was great also If you're in the area see if you can stop in...and don't let what she says here about her dojo being small worry you, it was very nice. It had many aspects that I wish I could have at the place I teach.

I've been very lucky when it comes to meeting other aikidoka. I've yet to have a bad experience. I haven't had the opportunity to meet many but the ones I have met have been open, friendly and genuinely interested in sharing what they have.

If an AikiWeb meet is something that might happen in reality let me know. I MIGHT be able to get Southside Dojo in Kalamazoo MI if there is a enough notice. We've got a 30' x 60' mat area and another approx. 30' x 15' slightly padded floor that the karate class uses. Big locker rooms and a dry sauna....I was told the shower is hooked up now but it's outside and I think it only has cold water hooked to it, heeey we could do misogi with it

Thanks again Rachel,

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 04-28-2004, 08:44 PM   #6
robbsims
Dojo: Hakodate Aikido Dojo
Japan
Thumbs down Re: Cool Experience

I am not sure how many other people do this but...

When ever I go on vacation, I look for an Aikido Dojo at the place I am going. It has been an excellent experience so far. I have been to Aikido classes in Winnipeg MB, Saskatoon SK, Calagary AB, Souel Korea, Guam USA, Hachinohe Japan, and Yokohama Japan. I am lucky because my wife is also a Yudansha, so I have her permission to do Aikido on our vacations.

From now on I will be sure to use the forums when looking for my next vacation spot.

Robert Sims
Old 04-28-2004, 09:16 PM   #7
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Hi Robert;

This summer I am headed to Northern Greece with a stop-over in Crete. Already have contacts in the former from previous visits but last night I sent e-mails to Crete. One positive response so far.

I try to do this when ever I travel. Sure there are dojos that didn't impress me that much but I have always come away with something positive.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 04-29-2004, 07:38 AM   #8
aikidocapecod
Dojo: Shobu Aikido Cape Cod
United_States

Are any folks from AikiWeb coming to Boston this weekend to see and learn from Saotome Sensei?

Hope to see some of you there!!

Larry
Old 04-29-2004, 11:32 AM   #9
j0nharris
Dojo: Kododan Aikido USA
United_States

Quote:
akiy wrote:
Does that mean you'll be there, Jun? We're the Kodokan's sister dojo, so a number our students will be there to have a good time.
-jon

jon harris

Life is a journey...
Now, who took my @#$%! map?!
Old 04-29-2004, 12:08 PM   #10
akiy

Hi Jon,

Yes, I am very much planning on being at the upcoming AikiWeb Workshop. I hope to see you (and others) there!

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!