Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-10-2003, 04:42 PM   #1
Ninjachick
I am jinxed!!!

Went to training last night and once again had someone kick me in the head whilst I was being thrown! I seem to have a big red target painted on my skull. Just a headache this morning tho. Whew!!!
Old 11-10-2003, 05:15 PM   #2
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Michelle Polwarth (Ninjachick) wrote:
I am jinxed!!!

Went to training last night and once again had someone kick me in the head whilst I was being thrown! I seem to have a big red target painted on my skull. Just a headache this morning tho. Whew!!!
Michelle, I'm sorry, but it doesn't read like "jinxed" to an outside observer. Either your partners are consistently throwing you and/or everybody else "out of the lane" or your own ukemi is taking you at non-standard directions.

If the former, I suggest that there is a serious safety issue where you train.

If the latter, I suggest you confer with your sensei or a trusted sempai, have them watch you closely so they can suggest how to change your ukemi.

This is NOT normal and usual.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 11-10-2003, 08:50 PM   #3
Ninjachick
Hi Janet

I agree entirely. Last night there was another student had someone breakfall on her head as well. The class was fairly energetic with very big flowing movements. We have a fairly large dojo, so normally this wouldn't be a problem.

I myself was thrown by a VERY experienced Sandan, the guy whose foot my head collided with was a visitor (4th or 5th Dan), being thrown by another Sandan.

I spoke with my partner afterwards and he suggested I protect my head with my hands/arms when doing a backward breakfall in future (obviously not always possible, but still, can't hurt).

Whilst I'm the first to admit that my ukemi isn't the greatest, I went where I was put. It seems to me that people get over-involved with what they're doing and forget that there are others in close proximity. People need to be more aware on the mat and follow the simple safety rules that we supposedly have -ie. always throw towards the outside of the mat.

Mich
Old 11-10-2003, 09:53 PM   #4
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai
You mean those guys who have the bumper sticker that says "As a matter of fact, I DO own the whole !!**!! mat!!!

Jeanne
Old 11-11-2003, 04:32 PM   #5
Ninjachick
Hi Ian

Yes, I had a similar experience with one of my senseis recently. I was being used as uke and the throw had everyone gasping in horror, but was so perfectly timed that I couldn't help but breakfall well. Quite an experience, really wish it was always like that.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:34 PM   #6
Ninjachick
Yes Jeanne - and they do always seem to be...guys
Old 11-12-2003, 10:16 AM   #7
Janet Rosen

Michelle, I don't know what your other options are, but I for one would be looking for another place to train.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 11-12-2003, 10:42 AM   #8
Ninjachick
Hi Janet. Not a chance! Best club in NZ by a long shot.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:28 AM   #9
The Wrenster
my first bad breakfall experience was in the first few months of Judo. I had only been going for a short while, and the Sensei ussually had us newbies train with the dan grades untill we were confident in landing. Some guy, and i'm still wary when I fight him, as he performed a drop seoi-nage (SP) For an inexperiences uke, this was not good...I landed hard on my head, to various accompanying groans of sympathy. Strangely, my ashi waza improved immediately for the rest of that night!! I love the feeling of being thrown hard and fast and knowing that you are being thrown with such skill that you hardly have to worry about landing correctly. My favourite is a really fast Ippon seoi-nage where you fly straight over your partner rather than off the hip. Brilliant fun!!!

When you decide to cause harm, you are breaking the harmony of the Universe, and thus you are already defeated.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:10 PM   #10
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States
I've had that happen once. We were practicing our falls in class on a pretty crowded mat and I got hit in the head by someone's foot as they were breakfalling. I saw stars for a couple of minutes.

I'm going to ditto everyone else and say that you're nages also need to be more aware while throwing you.

I really don't think the solution is to leave the dojo. Accidents happen, but not like this. Don't be afraid to say something to your sensei or a sempai that you trust that you think people should be more aware.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 11-21-2003, 01:09 AM   #11
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
In crowded situations... you should practice the 1 tatami rule.

ie... throw uke down in your 1 tatami space. I think this was once discussed some time back about injuries/fatalities in Aikido. And someone was paralysed because of another person falling on her/him. Its not a good way to end your aikido career and ain't smart either to live with it.

If nage is insistent in throwing you around hard/fast where you can also become a nuisance to someone else, its your duty as uke to point him the error of his ways. Kaiten nage to a brick wall is SOP. :P

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.