Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-09-2006, 07:20 AM   #1
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Consistancy of training

When do you train? On the mat? Off the mat? What sorts of things do you do/think if you train off the mat?
Take care!
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 05-09-2006, 07:46 AM   #2
SeiserL

United_States
Re: Consistancy of training

I train on the mat 3 days a week, for 11.5. years now. MWF 8:00 - 9:30 AM. Seminars as often as possible.

Off the mat, I watch videos/DVDs and read anything I can get my hands on.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 05-09-2006, 08:33 AM   #3
Richard Langridge
United Kingdom

Hehe, I looked up "MWF" and got "Multistage Wiener Filter".
Old 05-09-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
Eric Webber
Dojo: Aikido West Reading
United_States

In the dojo: 4-6 days per week.
Out of the dojo: swing bokken and other implements of disaster, try to avoid innocent bystanders.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:10 PM   #5
brunotex

Dojo: Brazil Aikikai - Instituto Takemussu
Brazil

I train on the mat 4 times a week (8 - 9 hours) every Monday, Wednesday, Thurday and Friday.
Sometimes I go to the Sunday class (+2 hours).

And I go to every Seminar I can (next month I will attend my first Doshu Seminar, and it will be huge - 1800 people!!!).

Off the mat: lots of videos, books, forums (this is the only one I post)
Old 05-09-2006, 01:04 PM   #6
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

I wonder when the idea of "how many times per week" became a popular way of describing martial art practice. It's the biggest of the three time spent training questions...the others being "how long per session" and "how many years".

Being involved in athletics of all sorts, this question doesn't come up as much for athletes until after they retire and start to teach.

I used to have an instructor who would, when asked how long he had been practicing, would make a dramatic face and say "every day for 5,000 years!!!" He thought that this was one of the most useless questions he encountered since he came to the states.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:03 PM   #7
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
I wonder when the idea of "how many times per week" became a popular way of describing martial art practice. It's the biggest of the three time spent training questions...the others being "how long per session" and "how many years".
While that certainly can be included under my questions, none of those three was what I was looking for. I should have only put one of my questions up there. The "how often do you train" is pretty easy to take simply as "how many times". I meant it a bit differently than that.

Quote:
I used to have an instructor who would, when asked how long he had been practicing, would make a dramatic face and say "every day for 5,000 years!!!" He thought that this was one of the most useless questions he encountered since he came to the states.
Ouch! Ok, let me rephrase that...I read somewhere that Bruce Lee said you could turn putting your pants on in the morning into a small moment of training. In this same light, how do you train off the mat?
Take care,
matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 05-10-2006, 05:30 AM   #8
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Focusing on breathing is an excellent way of training off (and on) the mat, if consistent training is what you are thinking of. The way of breathing that I learned and practice is 'focusing on the outbreath,' the exhalation, making it as long and steady without forcing it. A rhythymic type of breathing that I found works very well, is breathing in through the nose to the count of two, holding for another count of two, and breathing out through the mouth to the count of four.