Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-21-2006, 10:01 PM   #1
Dajo251
Dojo: Aikido Downtown
United_States
difference in bokkens

So I constantly forget to bring my bokken to class since our training with them is few and far between, but I find that the bokkens at the dojo whick are slightly shorter, and thinner, and alot lighter then mine are uncomfortable, any ideas on why this could be?

Dan Hulley
Old 03-22-2006, 06:23 AM   #2
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall
Re: difference in bokkens

If you constantly forget to bring your bokken to class, you do not have a mind to practice.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:24 PM   #3
Dajo251
United_States

if we trained with them, on a regular basis, I wouldnt forget, but it seems we do it very sporadically

Dan Hulley
Old 03-22-2006, 01:49 PM   #4
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

I learned very early in my aikido training to "always" bring my weapons. And the few times I did forget, that admonishment was always brought right home to me. Nowadays, I never wonder whether to bring them anymore, I always bring them.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:53 PM   #5
Dajo251
United_States

yeah I am starting tonight with always bringing my bokken, I need a new jo though, mine got lost when I moved

Dan Hulley
Old 03-22-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

I think Mark's advice is good...it's the same training I received, even in a completely different organization.

I have the same problem moving between different size/weight bokken...so I just bought my own, and always keep it handy. The cheap red oak ones don't feel right to me anymore. One I use for paired practice (hickory) and one for suburi (ebony).

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 03-22-2006, 04:03 PM   #7
Michael O'Brien
Dojo: Nashville Aikikai
United_States

Daniel,
At the risk of sounding obvious on why they feel uncomfortable I think you said it yourself. The ones in your dojo are shorter, thinner, and lighter than yours so it is going to feel differently and handle differently.

I also have a thicker and heavier bokken from bujin designs and when we train in class I always make sure to grab mine if we are practicing takeaways because I don't like the ones in the dojo either.

Like Mark and Ron pointed out also, even though we may only train with either bokken or jo once every couple of weeks I never walk out of the house without both of them with me.

Harmony does not mean that there are no conflicts,
for the dynamic spiral of existence embraces both extremes.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:19 PM   #8
akiy

Over the years, I've had a wide variety of bokuto and have gotten used to being able to switch amongst their different weights, styles, and shapes. Usually, when we start working on kumitachi, I'll check to see how heavy a weapon my partner is using and may switch to an appropriately weighted/styled one. So, sometimes, I use my yagyu shinkage ryu style bokuto; other times, I use my kashima shin ryu style bokuto; and, I sometimes use a middleweight bokuto as well. Some have tsuba; others do not. And so on.

I think it's worth it to start getting used to using different bokuto than your "preferred" one in the same way that it's fruitful, in the long run, to be able to work with different kinds of uke.

Just my thoughts.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 03-22-2006, 09:18 PM   #9
Dajo251
United_States

well I brought my bokken with me and was very happy I did when we worked on suburi tonight, it felt great

Dan Hulley
Old 03-22-2006, 09:51 PM   #10
Michael O'Brien
Dojo: Nashville Aikikai
United_States

Jun,

Hadn't really thought of it that way before; Very insightful. I'll stick bring my bokken to class everyday, but may not be so opposed to training with others as well from now on.

Harmony does not mean that there are no conflicts,
for the dynamic spiral of existence embraces both extremes.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:31 PM   #11
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

I remember when I first started and bought my own bokken I would swear sensei would notice when I didn't bring it. Yup, each and every time he'd say "grab your bokken"... Argh. Being somewhat thick skulled it took me a few times to realize that I was expected to always have my equipment with me.

And on different sizes... I'm a bit of a bokken collector. I've got a red oak, a couple white oak, a couple from different makers, a custom pao ferro piece, and a few others that escape me at the moment. At first I found that using the same one consistently helped me develop good basics. And later on I found that it really didn't matter much (for the most part) which one I used because if the basics are there I could compensate. There is one I have, however, that just doesn't bond well with me. Never have been able to figure that out... Just doesn't feel right.

Ya gotta bring the gi, belt, maybe hakama, etc. to class everytime you train. Bring the weapons too, it isn't all that difficult.

Old 04-28-2006, 08:47 AM   #12
david evans
Dojo: Newcastle Iwama Aikido
Australia

Daniel,

One mind, any weapon.