Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-03-2018, 02:10 PM   #1
ninjedi

United_States
best gi/uniform

What brand gi/uniform is most comfortable and allows for the best range of movement? My current uniform is not cutting it. I find myself restricted my my pants in particular. I want to / need to widen my stance, but often I am caught up in the range of movement (or lack thereof) of my pants.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:50 AM   #2
lbb
United_States
Re: best gi/uniform

Depends on the brand, the model, your body, and a lot of other factors. In general you want to find pants with a gusset - these aren't street trousers - but I'd think every gi pants should have that.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:03 AM   #3
PeteDiscenza
Dojo: Twin Cities Aikido Center, St Paul MN
United_States

One of the lead instructors at Midwest Karate, St. Paul, can make you a gi to fit. I've found that stock 'judo weight' gi are a bit looser than stock 'karate weight', mostly noticed in the jacket.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:31 AM   #4
ninjedi

United_States

It's less about the gi and more about the pants. I think I may actually be wearing a size too big.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:51 AM   #5
jamesf
Dojo: Kitsap Aikido, Poulsbo, WA
United_States

I like the double layered "Aikido" trousers from both Tozando and Minamoto Shokai. Both options seem to be pretty resilient and I've never had mobility problems with them. Just remember, even though they say "pre-shrunk", they will still shrink (usually quite suddenly after the 5th or 6th time through the wash), so consider buying one size longer than the measurements seem to indicate.

GTMA (Golden Tiger Martial Arts) double-layer judo pants also seem to be decent. However, last I checked, they only come in a set with their double-weave jacket, and that jacket is a bit overkill, it's very heavy and stiff! I will not recommend the GTMA trousers that come with their single weave gi set, as the fabric is a bit fragile for aikido (once during a seminar, I had a nearly new pair start to split in a rather embarrassing location).
Old 12-13-2018, 01:55 PM   #6
ninjedi

United_States

Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much for the recommendations!!