Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
Zoe S Toth
Dojo: Seidokan Aikido of South Carolina
United_States
Do you fold your Sensei's hakama?

Hi all (again),

I seem to be such a chatter box as of late, so I apologize for all the questions. Any way, here is another one spurred again by current events in my dojo. Sensei recently told me and another student we should learn to fold a hakama. I watched people on Monday and tried on Wednesday. (I felt I didn't do that bad of a job and the yudasha I asked to let me try to fold his hakama didn't refold it so I'll consider it a success.)

Anyway, to my understanding it is a tradition that the senior student present fold's the Sensei's hakama. This leads to a few natural questions:

1. Does this happen in your dojo?
2. If the senior student doesn't do it (ie has to leave early OR just dosen't do it) does it fall on the second most senior, ect.?
3. Do you only fold the Sensei of the classes hakama? (Ie if there are two yudansha would my boyfriend and I each fold one hakama?)

Thank you.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
Rob Watson
United_States
Re: Do you fold your Sensei's hakama?

Quote:
Zoe Toth wrote: View Post
Hi all (again),

I seem to be such a chatter box as of late, so I apologize for all the questions. Any way, here is another one spurred again by current events in my dojo. Sensei recently told me and another student we should learn to fold a hakama. I watched people on Monday and tried on Wednesday. (I felt I didn't do that bad of a job and the yudasha I asked to let me try to fold his hakama didn't refold it so I'll consider it a success.)

Anyway, to my understanding it is a tradition that the senior student present fold's the Sensei's hakama. This leads to a few natural questions:

2. If the senior student doesn't do it (ie has to leave early OR just dosen't do it) does it fall on the second most senior, ect.?
3. Do you only fold the Sensei of the classes hakama? (Ie if there are two yudansha would my boyfriend and I each fold one hakama?)

Thank you.
Fold your own danged hakama ... or as is tradition let the wife do it! Of course if you offer to fold someone elses that is totally different than someone asking you to fold theirs.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Everywhere I have trained (at least 11 dojos in 5 different styles if you include the ones I just visited) everyone just folded their own hakamas. Having said that, learning to fold one properly is pretty difficult, and when I got my black belt, it took me a while to get it right. Being able to practice on other people's might have been a good way to practice.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Generally our custom is to fold Sensei's hakama after class and it usually is performed by a mid-level student who will be wearing a hakama in the near future. No one is asked or told to fold the hakama, but we do it as a matter of respect. It is unusual for someone to fold a yudansha's hakama (unless he or she is teaching that class) but it sometimes happens if the individual is injured or something like that.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 03-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Where I train everyone folds their own hakama including sensei. If we have a guest instructor of high rank such as Heiny sensei then yes one of the students in the dojo will offer to fold her hakama for her.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
Janet Rosen

I have trained in dojos where each person did her own hak, where the instructor's was folded by a sr student, where all yudansha got their's folded by juniors....my personal preference is let each person do her own, but I am definitely a "when in Rome" person.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 03-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
Lorien Lowe
Dojo: Northcoast Aikido

A story that is frequently told around my dojo (I didn't witness it, but it's about as traditional as Little Red Riding Hood) is that Sensei and his senior student were at another dojo once for a seminar, and after class Sensei handed his hakama to this senior student and told him to fold it. This wasn't something that was usually done, and the senior student flamboyantly wadded the hakama up and threw it in a corner. It was greeted with both gasps and uproars of laughter, depending on the outlook of the individuals watching.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:15 PM   #8
GMaroda
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
Where I train everyone folds their own hakama including sensei. If we have a guest instructor of high rank such as Heiny sensei then yes one of the students in the dojo will offer to fold her hakama for her.
I think the one they're letting me borrow until my new one gets in used to be Garth's. So technically I'm folding his hakama.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:47 AM   #9
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States

I don't usually even fold my own hakama. The only way I'd fold sensei's is for the same reason I might fold anyone else's; as a favor or to help in a bad situation. To my way of thinking, it's rather like asking someone else to fold your pants. Oh wait...

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."
Old 03-30-2012, 01:40 AM   #10
Eva Antonia
Dojo: CERIA
Belgium

Hello,

her in Belgium I never heard of folding the teacher's hakama; even our old teacher folded his own when he was already 80 years old. First time that I saw at a seminar some student folding the shihan's hakama, it was a sort of minor cultural shock. I find that somehow disturbing - like Tarik's comparison to "asking someone to fold your pants".

Luckily, I fold my own in such an ugly way no teacher will ever risk his hakama to be put in my hands...

Best regards,

Eva
Old 03-30-2012, 03:14 AM   #11
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

We had it and viewed it as an honor to fold the teachers Hakama. It was fun and a chance to thank the teacher in silence.

I don't know whether it was traditional or not but just seemed very natural.

Nowadays though I do not ask for the same. It is interesting though as to whether it was an old tradition or not.

Peace. G,
Old 03-30-2012, 06:48 AM   #12
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

many moons ago, i went to a seminar where, besides the teaching sensei, i was the other asian. after class, everyone was folding his/her/its hakama; the entire floor of folks was folding. i walked into the dressing room, took out my hanger, and hung up my hakama and walked out. folks looked up and saw me with a hakama hung on the hanger and a grin on my face. it's kinda like you go to a chinese restaurant in the US, and all the western folks use chopsticks and the asians use folks and spoons.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 03-30-2012, 07:12 AM   #13
Walter Martindale
Canada

yeah, mixed bag. I've seen a guy from Singapore who never folds his hakama and I've seen where visiting shihan at seminars have a queue of yudanskis who want to fold his hakama for him. regular dojo sensei fold their own or (as in the case of the guy from Singapore) roll it up and put it in his gym bag...
Cheers,
W
Old 03-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #14
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Quote:
Greg Maroda wrote: View Post
I think the one they're letting me borrow until my new one gets in used to be Garth's. So technically I'm folding his hakama.
Hmmm come to think of it I wore that hackama for a while before I got my own as well.....It's a very well trained hackama. Practically folds itself.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #15
morph4me

United_States

The last time anyone asked to fold my hakama they did such a great job that I was reluctant to unfold it the next time I put it on. It was a thing of beauty,

We fold our own hakama or put it on hangars, depending on our preference.

"Logical consequences are the scarecrows of fools and the beacons of wise men" - Thomas Henry Huxley
Old 03-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #16
akiy

Here's a poll I took back in 2003:

Who folds your aikido teacher's hakama after s/he teaches class? - 3/1/2003
http://www.aikiweb.com/polls/results.html?poll_id=154

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 03-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #17
kewms

Some teachers expect it, some don't. The idea is that having someone else fold their hakama frees the teacher to do other things, like answer questions after class.

IMO the idea of junior yudansha having their hakamas folded for them is ridiculous. But then, everyone in the ASU wears one after their first test, so yudansha aren't up on the pedestal that they are some places.

Katherine
Old 03-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #18
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Zoe Toth wrote: View Post

Thank you.
Hi Zoe!
At our school, who ever the available senior student is will fold sensei's hakama and everyone else folds their own; when senior students teach, they fold their own hakama.
Take care,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 03-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #19
Garth Jones
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

Somebody has only ever offered to fold my hakama once. I just get no respect! :-)

Seriously, I like sitting on the mat chatting with everybody while we fold our hakamas. It's a nice way to wind down from class.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #20
Malicat
Dojo: Suenaka-Ha Aikido of Bloomington
United_States

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
many moons ago, i went to a seminar where, besides the teaching sensei, i was the other asian. after class, everyone was folding his/her/its hakama; the entire floor of folks was folding. i walked into the dressing room, took out my hanger, and hung up my hakama and walked out. folks looked up and saw me with a hakama hung on the hanger and a grin on my face. it's kinda like you go to a chinese restaurant in the US, and all the western folks use chopsticks and the asians use folks and spoons.
My Sensei keeps his on a hanger as well, but I've been told that the kyu ranks all fold hakamas during summer camp and none of the yudansha fold their own, so he has been letting me fold his for practice. So far, I have determined that I should start apologizing to whomever owns the hakama I touch, because I am really lousy at it.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #21
amoeba
Dojo: Aikido Netzwerk
Germany

We fold our own, but after seminars someone normally folds sensei's. Just a nice gesture, the Swedish teachers that visit us fold their own hakama at home, I've trained there and witnessed it...
Old 03-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #22
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

No. I have only seen at big seminars with foreign (japanese and american) instructors, dont belive that it´s common here.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #23
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States

After class, usually the most senior student will fold our sensei's hakama. This seems to me right and proper.

After a class taught by our most senior student, I heard someone offer to fold his hakama. He responded, "Go away. You're embarrassing me." This also seemed to me right and proper.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:03 AM   #24
Hanna B
Sweden

Quote:
Alissa Götzinger wrote: View Post
We fold our own, but after seminars someone normally folds sensei's. Just a nice gesture, the Swedish teachers that visit us fold their own hakama at home, I've trained there and witnessed it...
Nobody calls them "sensei" at home either. Not when talking Swedish.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:57 PM   #25
lbb
United_States

This is always such a great "this is how it's done and you're a dolt/oaf/cult member if you do it any other way" topic.