Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-30-2004, 11:32 PM   #1
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia
Another Hakama thread?

So there I was in practice as usual when the inevitable happenned...

Sensei said, "Say, Boon, when are you getting your hakama?". Suddenly the cat got my tongue and it took me numerous seconds before I could utter a reply.

Inside me, I was elated... hakama, the badge of honour to mark ones' milestone in aikido. I have as do so many of you all have, our show 'n' tell that we are aikidokas. Bruises, Bumps, dislocated this and that, thick callous at our sole of foot et cetera, but a hakama is a true badge of honour. Oh crap all that...

I am just a drag queen wannabe and I want to be an extraordinaire drag queen.

Anyway, back from my digression... all I could mutter was a soft, kiddi-like whimper, "Ermm, how much is it? I thought only a sandan or above can wear it?" Acting all dowey eyed, infantile and innocent-looking.

So anyway, I am getting one at my local retail martial art supplier after getting my next pay check. These suckers are real expensive.

Nah, this thread has no educational value whatsoever, it is only just for ranting off. Sorry,

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:08 AM   #2
Chuck.Gordon
United_States
Re: Another Hakama thread?

Hakam a badge of honor? Nah. They're just trousers. Big baggy trou with a complex system of tying them on, but only trousers in the end. No mystique, no cachet of expertise. Only pants that will trip you when you least expect it.

And shouldn't be all THAT expensive. You can get into a decent tetron hak for less than USD $75 generally. Cotton might be cheaper (or more expensive), depending.

Chuck

Old 12-31-2004, 06:25 AM   #3
Derek Webb
Dojo: MK Keihatsu & Phoenix Coventry
United Kingdom

Don't forget the anti-tripping devices

Delboy
Old 12-31-2004, 08:02 AM   #4
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
Derek Webb wrote:
Don't forget the anti-tripping devices

Delboy

Happy Birthday mate

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 12-31-2004, 02:36 PM   #5
Kent Enfield

United_States

Try either bogubag.com or e-bogu.com. Both have tetron hakama for under US$50 (plus shipping).

Kentokuseisei
Old 12-31-2004, 03:15 PM   #6
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Xu Wenfung wrote:
Sensei said, "Say, Boon, when are you getting your hakama?"
Next he's going to tell you to use more ki in your techniques

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 01-01-2005, 07:27 AM   #7
GLWeeks
Dojo: Aikido Society of Memphis
United_States

Don't let the Hakama-haters get to ya.... Oh yeah, you can also check out the selection at Bujin.....
Old 01-01-2005, 08:14 AM   #8
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

I agree with Kent, E-bogu and Bogubag have good prices. I have THIS HAKAMA from E-bogu and quite like it. It's $60 US but has a couple features that make the extra $10 worth it IMO. I also have two from Bujin, one with the traditional koshiita and one with the aikido koshiita, and I much prefer the $60 Tetron one mentioned above from E-bogu.

Bronson

Last edited by Bronson : 01-01-2005 at 08:17 AM.

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 01-01-2005, 02:24 PM   #9
pointy
Dojo: aikido of park slope

i have the same e-bogu hakama. it's the only one i have worn but i like it. comfy...for the most part.

when i called bu-jin the sales guy was a jerk to me so i told him to stuff it.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:53 PM   #10
Niamh Marie O'Leary-Liu
Dojo: Aikido of Ramapo Valley
United_States

Happy Birthdays Derek and Evan!

Boon, Mr. "Woe is me, hakamas are so expensive!" My heart really bleeds for you buddy. You are secretly just showing off to us lower ranks that you've earned your hakama already.

Happy New Year all!

Speak softly and carry a big jo.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:14 PM   #11
pointy
Dojo: aikido of park slope

ahh thank you it was a great birthday, thanks to my wife and parents

the dojo was even open, even though it was a holiday. i loved it.

peace

evan
Old 01-02-2005, 07:28 PM   #12
xuzen

Malaysia

Quote:
Bronson Diffin wrote:
Next he's going to tell you to use more ki in your techniques

Bronson
Ki??? Ki are for sissies.

Hah, Bronco my man, Happy New Year and <Darth Vader voice...> May the power of Ki be with you <end of special effect voice>

Oh Niamh,

Quote:
Boon, Mr. "Woe is me, hakamas are so expensive!" My heart really bleeds for you buddy. You are secretly just showing off to us lower ranks that you've earned your hakama already

Is it that obvious?

Boon.

Old 01-04-2005, 10:40 AM   #13
Fred26
Dojo: Budo Kai, Ki-Aikido
Sweden

Wasnt the Hakama originally the samurai's riding pants?
Old 01-06-2005, 10:17 AM   #14
Taliesin

Interesting thread. For myself I alway thought Hakama were really cool, were an Honor to wear and made your Aikido much better. I found that whilst it is definitely a Honor to wear one, the fact that you are in danger of tripping over the damn thing almost all the time means that they certainly ain't cool, as far as whether they make your Aikido better you are certainly more focused on your footwork, but I'm not convinced.

Xu

Have fun tying your new Hakama and remember Niamh's is dying to listen sympathetically to all the problems you have with your Hakama - I guarantee there will be plenty.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:37 AM   #15
Chuck.Gordon
United_States

Yep, hakama were pretty much samurai chaps, but evolved into something more like trousers, eventually. There are all kinds of hakama, too, for different situations, activities and stylistic preferences.

The 'standard' hakama we wear with the traditional budogi, I look at 'em sort of like khaki trousers, not real dressy, but maybe a step above blue jeans. Maybe office casual ...

As for tripping on them, basically, most folks wearing hakama wear them too long. Ideally, the hem ought to fall at about the ankle. Forget about the hiding the feet thing. It's a myth. Getting the length right reduces the trippage ...

Chuck

Old 01-11-2005, 01:52 AM   #16
xuzen

Malaysia

Quote:
David Chalk wrote:
Interesting thread. For myself I alway thought Hakama were really cool, were an Honor to wear and made your Aikido much better. I found that whilst it is definitely a Honor to wear one, the fact that you are in danger of tripping over the damn thing almost all the time means that they certainly ain't cool, as far as whether they make your Aikido better you are certainly more focused on your footwork, but I'm not convinced.

Xu

Have fun tying your new Hakama and remember Niamh's is dying to listen sympathetically to all the problems you have with your Hakama - I guarantee there will be plenty.
Hey David,

Thanks for your feel-good comment. Tonight at practice will be my first class with hakama on. Wonder how bad will the tripping be? Only problem... must learn how to tie and wear one first. Yoshibrute are poor with hakamas. Big Claws and such... <sigh>.

Boon.