Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Announcements & Feedback

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-18-2002, 02:56 AM   #1
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Word explanations

Hi Jun!

A couple of years ago some friends and I made an 'interactive website' as a project for the university. One of the features was a 'parser' that found all instances of words in the HTML that was listed in a vocabulary, and sourounded them with a tag, thereby creating a reference to the vocabulary where the particular word was explained. We also added an extra feature which made it possible to see the explanation of one of these words by putting the cursor on top of the word which produced a 'short' explanation in a box (setting the alt-tag if I remember right).

Since this board is often used by newcomers and since many different types of aikido are represented, perhaps such a vocabulary/word explanation feature could be a help to avoid some of those 'what do you mean by...' questions which often make a discussion run by a tangent.

Just a suggestion. Otherwise thank you for a great site, which as it is allready steals far to much of my time.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 06-18-2002, 03:38 AM   #2
Tim Griffiths
Dojo: Nes Ziona Aikikai
China
Of course, it should be easier as we already have an extensive dictionary for you to cross reference to, Jun. Assuming, that is, you could get people to agree a consistent use of romanji...

Or if that's difficult, you could just add a pop-up for when someone clicks on a word they don't know that says "Go and look in the AikiWeb (TM) dictionary".

Its not a bad idea though.

Tim

If one makes a distinction between the dojo and the battlefield, or being in your bedroom or in public, then when the time comes there will be no opportunity to make amends. (Hagakure)
Old 06-18-2002, 08:55 AM   #3
akiy

It's an interesting idea, one that probably wouldn't be very difficult to implement. I do wonder, though, about the overhead that would be necessary for parsing each and every document and creating the tags necessary. Also, I wonder how much larger each page would become, thereby increasing the load-time for the pages.

In any case, thank you for your suggestion! I'll put it on my list of new features to think about (which is actually pretty long at this point!) for this site.

Regards,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 06-18-2002, 11:24 AM   #4
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Helper tool?

Couldn't it be like a spell check, or a dictionary type tool?

You know, so that the screen remains while a query is posed about a suspect word that is highlighted?

It would seem to be an excellent idea, if the window can be access from the screen without the data taking up all your memory to use the feature.

Of course, I use a MAC which is quite a bit more friendle than the Windows format for jumping screens, but I have a spell check and dictionary that I use for normal Email, even though spell check does not have dictionary feature.
Old 06-19-2002, 04:16 AM   #5
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Quote:
Originally posted by akiy
It's an interesting idea, one that probably wouldn't be very difficult to implement. I do wonder, though, about the overhead that would be necessary for parsing each and every document and creating the tags necessary. Also, I wonder how much larger each page would become, thereby increasing the load-time for the pages.
The overhead would obviously depend of the extend of the dictionary, but in my experience, it shouldn't be much of a delay. A properly indexed table with a few hundred records is quicly searched. However it could be made possible to toggle/untoggle the feature for each user.

The increased size of the page would also be insignificant with regards to load-time, unless of course you wish to include the complete Webster's definition of each word...

The task that would really scare me if I were to implement this would be to come up with definitions that wouldn't p... somebody off

Quote:

In any case, thank you for your suggestion! I'll put it on my list of new features to think about (which is actually pretty long at this point!) for this site.
Your'e welcome and thank's again for a great site.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration