Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-20-2008, 05:25 PM   #26
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States
Re: Aikido in Tight Quarters (eg an Elevator)

Quote:
Mike Mansy wrote: View Post
Does Aikido teach how to defend yourself in tight quarters like an elevator?
Depends on your version Aikido - go back to the Daitoryu roots of Aikido and just use small techniques and drop Uke instead of throwing; I know a handful of techniques that would work very well within the confines of even the smallest elevators.

Greg Steckel
Old 11-20-2008, 08:04 PM   #27
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom
Re: close call???

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
No, I was talking about a no rules situation. You are simply just lucky your attacker was worried more about his nuts and couldn't keep his cool. A trained attacker would of kept his cool and choked you unconscious while defending his groin (which is fairly easy to do if you give it a shot). But luck is as good as technique in my book.

I have people try to test this stuff from time to time. It never ends how they expect and it really is disheartening for me.
A trained attacker would have choked from the rear but before doing so would unbalance one from behind before applying the choke as I have found to be effective on many occasions..... taking balance disables the victim from gaining any real purchase if executed by taking the head backwards and slipping into a rear neck choke swiftly...... In the case I encountered the head chancery was applied from their right side which facilitated easy access, for me, to their groin area followed up with what we call gyaku gamae/gedan ate which can facilitate easy dumping flat on their back with quite an audible thump when hitting the deck (concrete pavement /sidewalk) that hard!!..... no problem for a reasonably skilled martial artist...... not forgetting there was two assailants, required quick thinking and of course a little luck on my part...... same as for most.... given most nasty situations..... moral of the story is try and avoid getting grabbed into a neck or head lock!! Not as easy as it sounds when you are getting someone's change for them!! ya can't always tell unless you are telepathic!!
Take Care

Tony

Last edited by Tony Wagstaffe : 11-20-2008 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:26 PM   #28
DonMagee
United_States

Quote:
Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: View Post
A trained attacker would have choked from the rear but before doing so would unbalance one from behind before applying the choke as I have found to be effective on many occasions..... taking balance disables the victim from gaining any real purchase if executed by taking the head backwards and slipping into a rear neck choke swiftly...... In the case I encountered the head chancery was applied from their right side which facilitated easy access, for me, to their groin area followed up with what we call gyaku gamae/gedan ate which can facilitate easy dumping flat on their back with quite an audible thump when hitting the deck (concrete pavement /sidewalk) that hard!!..... no problem for a reasonably skilled martial artist...... not forgetting there was two assailants, required quick thinking and of course a little luck on my part...... same as for most.... given most nasty situations..... moral of the story is try and avoid getting grabbed into a neck or head lock!! Not as easy as it sounds when you are getting someone's change for them!! ya can't always tell unless you are telepathic!!
Take Care

Tony
Ahh here is where we had our communication lines crossed. I was talking about chokes, you are talking about side headlocks. Yea, no reasonable trained attacker will do a side headlock. It's a pointless and vulnerable position. I was talking about either a choke from head on (the guillotine choke). In that position, while you have full access to the groin it doesn't do you any good because in a second or two it's all over for you anways.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 11-21-2008, 04:28 AM   #29
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
Ahh here is where we had our communication lines crossed. I was talking about chokes, you are talking about side headlocks. Yea, no reasonable trained attacker will do a side headlock. It's a pointless and vulnerable position. I was talking about either a choke from head on (the guillotine choke). In that position, while you have full access to the groin it doesn't do you any good because in a second or two it's all over for you anways.
Well Don he was using my head as a punch ball so it takes willpower not to go down as most would from this type of scenario.... but then again my head is used to punishment from my boxing days which sadly are over for me at 55 yrs..... think he was quite shocked that an older feller dumped him so easily on his butt........ as his buddy did a runner!!! Thought I was easy pickings you see......

Tony
Old 11-21-2008, 08:53 AM   #30
Nathan Wallace

Dojo: VA tenshinkai
United_States
Re: Aikido in Tight Quarters (eg an Elevator)

never tried in an elevator. i usually use the stairs. i have tried in the shower though. i would say stick to kokyu and irimi not so much tenkan. at least it didn't work out so well for me. LOL

Cpl. P. N. Wallace

Kijinkan school founder & instructor
Aikijujutsu
Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage ryu kenjutsu