Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
dapidmini
Dojo: Surabaya Aikido Dojo
Indonesia
ushiro shikko?

I've been practicing aikido for almost 3 years now but I was practicing it in my first dojo for 2 years and about six months in my second dojo (present). one of the things I realized is that the instructors of the 2 dojos teach different procedures of doing ushiro shikko.

the first dojo teaches to drag the left knee back so it's side by side with the right knee (assume I start with the left knee points forward, sitting in kisa), drag it backwards, then spread the left knee again to make L shape with the right leg and so on.

but the second dojo teaches to drag the right ankle back (still assume I start with the left knee points forward) so that my right foot is facing to the back while lifting my left knee (front leg) and bottom off the ground, then drag the left leg backwards to make an L shape with the right leg while lowering my bottom to touch my ankles again.

which procedures is correct? I hope my description is clear enough.. I've tried the second procedure but I feel weird.. is it just my imagination?
Old 04-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: ushiro shikko?

Correct is a hard thing to get at. The easy answer is: in the first dojo, their method is correct, in the second dojo their method is. You should ask lots of questions to each, and see what it is that they are trying to teach with their method.

Aikido is a system, it points to a series of valuable lessons. These lessons can be understood and interpreted many different ways. The real goal for you is to get at the heart of what Aikido is pointing at, then you can practice and share your interpretations.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
Basia Halliop
Canada

Take the opportunity and learn both ways.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
Basia Halliop wrote: View Post
Take the opportunity and learn both ways.
Yup... the more "ways" you can do something (specially without having to think about it) the better.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:49 PM   #5
dapidmini
Dojo: Surabaya Aikido Dojo
Indonesia

ic... since my first dojo is located in another island I guess I'll have to wait awhile to ask them..

my next question is: do you slap the mat when doing ukemi? whether it's mae or ushiro or simple fall to the back. because again, my second dojo insists that we don't make any noises at all when falling. but every video I've seen so far uses slapping to dissipate the force. my guess is that they don't want to disturb the neighborhood but doesn't that make the aikido training incorrect?
Old 04-02-2011, 12:49 AM   #6
akiy

Hi David,

Please start new threads for new topics, as doing so helps keep the discussions separate and tidy.

Thank you,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!