Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Language

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-10-2004, 11:16 AM   #1
Jonathan Cole

Dojo: Salem Budokai
United_States
call to attention?

In my new dojo, bowing in is always preceded by a sharp "kyatski" (sp?), which is the signal for us to come to attention prior to the bow in. Can anyone tell me the actual spelling of this word, and perhaps a bit of its etymology? I've looked in the usual places, but haven't had any luck - probably due to my uncertainy about the spelling. The word is pronounced kee-yah-tskee.

TIA

JC
Old 08-10-2004, 11:40 AM   #2
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Re: call to attention?

Ki-O-Tsuke. I've never heard it in an aikido dojo before.

Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 08-10-2004, 11:59 AM   #3
Jonathan Cole

United_States

Aah. Thanks. I wonder how the words break down? Ki-O-Tsuke isn't what I expected - so would Ki mean spirit, O mean large, or over-riding, and tsuke. . . well, what does tsuke mean? My command of the language is obviously not up to par.

It's not really an Aikido dojo, per se. It's a Danzan Ryu Jujitsu school which also has Aikido and Judo curricula. This particular phrase is only used in the Jujitsu class.

Thanks very much for the help, by the way!
Old 08-10-2004, 12:23 PM   #4
akiy

See: http://www.aikiweb.com/language/ki_phrases.html

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 08-10-2004, 01:18 PM   #5
Chuck.Gordon
United_States

Ki-o-tsuki. Basically it asks: Please extend your spirit (attention).

Chuck

Old 08-10-2004, 02:11 PM   #6
Jonathan Cole

United_States

Thank you all SO MUCH for your replies! That clears things up - and I can get the meaning down in my notebook.

JC
Old 08-11-2004, 12:50 AM   #7
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

If I just heard the word kiotsuke, I'd side with the one of Jun's options Ki wo tsukeru (the wo pronounced o) and the tsukeru shortened to tsuke, meaning be careful, but that's just the way I've heard and used it (ki wo tsukette kudasai - please be careful). There's always more than one meaning and more than one context when it comes to Japanese language though and I am by no means an authority.

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 10-11-2004, 07:14 PM   #8
sarah07
Dojo: Shodokan Himeji
Japan

My take on 'Ki o tsuke' is similar to the above responses.

Ki being spirit / care / awareness / alertness. In kanji - the ki that is used in 'genki' ( in top spirits / fine).

O is an object particle, often written 'wo'. It merely marks the relationship of object to verb here and has no honorific associations (that is the prefix 'O' that is found in words such as 'ohashi' - chopsticks, or 'Obasan' - Grandma. It is written differently in Hiragana)

...and Tsuke is a form of the verb 'tsukeru' which means something like to use or apply. In this abbreviated form it indicates quite a strong command and can be seen as a bit masculine I think (well - I wouldnt use it to my superiors anyway). The polite form of the phrase would be 'ki o tsukete kudasai' or 'ki o tsukete' - this is often used in Japanese in the same way that 'Take care' or 'Be careful' is used in English.

The phrase as a whole therefore means something like 'use your alertness' or 'draw on your spirit' but of course these seem a little odd in English, maybe something like 'Look alive!' is more appropriate?

I encounter the phrase mostly at school here in Japan - classes begin with a student calling the class to stand and then 'ki o tsuke!' before the bow and greeting between students and teachers. Actually - at school it is always used when asking a body of students to bow. I think it has some specific relationship to posture aswell - a little like 'attention!' in the military.

I cant recall hearing it used in our dojo at all, but then again I have not been there long.

Hope this helps
Old 10-11-2004, 08:20 PM   #9
stuartjvnorton

Dojo: Aikido Shudokan

Quote:
Greg Jennings wrote:
Ki-O-Tsuke. I've never heard it in an aikido dojo before.
Is it mainly a Yoshinkan thing?
I've got it at both dojos I've trained at.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:28 PM   #10
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

Quote:
Stuart Norton wrote:
Is it mainly a Yoshinkan thing?
I've got it at both dojos I've trained at.
It's definately a Yoshinkan thing. As for mainly, I don't know but it is common in all of our training. In fact, I don't think I could teach a class with calling it out.

Of course, I call the same thing out at dinner for my two year old so that he knows its time to say "itta dakemasu" before eating. And I got that from his daycare...not the dojo.

cheers,

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 10-11-2004, 09:33 PM   #11
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Yup, I used it in my dojo too. Never bother with the etymology, but it is something nice to know. So now everybody Kiotsuke!

Ossu!
Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:45 AM   #12
sarah07
Japan

Just a note to add that I was mistaken in posting that "ki o tsuke" is used at the beginning of class before the aisatsu / greeting - I just taught a lesson and it is in fact "Kiritsu" (though the former is used at assemblies and sports events).

Just goes to show I should be doing more teaching and less net-surfing!

-Sarah Moon
Old 10-12-2004, 09:43 AM   #13
John Matsushima

United_States

Some people here are confusing "kiyosuke" with "ki wo tsukete"...kiyosuke means "ready...." and ki wo tsukete means "take care (and be careful)"

-John
Old 10-12-2004, 06:33 PM   #14
sarah07
Japan

Quote:
John Matsushima wrote:
Some people here are confusing "kiyosuke" with "ki wo tsukete"...kiyosuke means "ready...." and ki wo tsukete means "take care (and be careful)"

-John
Really? I was under the impression that it was the same phrase but with the verb conjugated a different way to produce a different meaning...

I have just checked with a Japanese language teacher here at school and she informs me that the parts of speech are the same and that it is 'ki o tsuke' and not 'kiyosuke'. (The kanji can be found on the site posted earlier in this thread.) But then again - she could be wrong...

-Sarah Moon
Old 10-15-2004, 12:34 AM   #15
saltlakeaiki

Dojo: Salt Lake Aikikai

You and your teacher colleague are right, of course, Sarah. Kiyosuke could possibly be a man's name, but if it can mean "ready" or something like that, I'm gonna be real interested to hear the derivation "Ki o tsuke" is the same as "ki o tsukete", just less polite...

If it wasn't for the goat, you couldn't get in here for propaganda!
Old 10-17-2004, 11:38 PM   #16
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

Ki-o-tsuke (Ki-wo-tsuke) is the imperative form of - to pay attention - so it means - PAY ATTENTION! So in the dojo context it means: GET READY! (for training)

Kiritsu means 'stand up,' and is what might be said by the class 'prefect' when the teacher walks in, and thus could be interpretted as STAND TO ATTENTION.

Some dojos use them, many don't.