Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-11-2003, 11:36 PM   #1
zheng yun
Dojo: Peking University Aikido Association
Hapkido

Hi,everyone!

I was told that there is a Korean martial art called Hapkido, which is somewhat similar to Aikido.

Is there any relationship between Hapkido and Aikido?
Old 01-11-2003, 11:55 PM   #2
Williamross77

Dojo: aikido of shreveport
United_States
Yes from what i understand the founder of hapkido studied under Ueshiba's teacher Solaku Takeda.

I may be wrong but that is what i know sofar.

in Aiki
Agatsu!!
Old 01-11-2003, 11:55 PM   #3
Williamross77

Dojo: aikido of shreveport
United_States
sorry that is

Sokaku Takeda

in Aiki
Agatsu!!
Old 01-12-2003, 06:53 AM   #4
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
There are several huge and controversial threads on this over on http://www.aikidojournal.com/ .

I won't even attempt to summarize.

Best Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 01-12-2003, 09:30 AM   #5
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
~~I believe the philosophical base between the two arts is very different, hapkido being much more martially oriented. There is also more throwing, striking, kicking in hapkido. A much harsher MA. A very good 'all-around' art if that's what you're looking/training for~~

~~Paula~~
Old 01-12-2003, 10:32 AM   #6
Bob
Dojo: Dryden Aikikai
FWIW, I talked to a new aikido student at a seminar some years ago who was a longtime hapkido student and he said that the art was very 'big' in that it had its karate-like side, its aikido-like side, plus a weapons compnent and maybe something else (my memory is not that good) so that the amount of work to be good at it all was almost too much for the average person. In fact he said that many instructors just focussed on one aspect of the art so that he had to go to the karate-like instructor for the punch/kick and the aikido-like instructor for hands-on, etc.

Bob
Old 01-14-2003, 11:35 PM   #7
AikiRooster

United_States
Question

The history of Hapkido is very much a controversial subject to say the least. However, the techniques involved are very similar and for the most part, the only true difference I have found is the amount of kicking and striking in general included in Hapkido's curriculum. Other then that though, I would say they are defintiely from the same roots.

Last edited by AikiRooster : 01-14-2003 at 11:37 PM.

Some folks are truly alive only because it's against the law to kill them. . .
Old 01-15-2003, 12:17 AM   #8
Edward
Thailand
I think the Koreans have a tendency to adopt anything Japanese, and claim it's their own, maybe because of so many centuries of animosity between the 2 nations.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:22 AM   #9
AikiRooster

United_States
Question I have found and heard different Ed!

Quote:
Edward Karaa (Edward) wrote:
I think the Koreans have a tendency to adopt anything Japanese, and claim it's their own, maybe because of so many centuries of animosity between the 2 nations.
Hello Ed, or Mr.Karaa:

Whichever you prefer.

Anyway's, I have found with different Master's and Sensei's that the reverse is true. My understanding is that when the Japanese invaded Korea, they burnt alot of their history books and such, and alot of their history they [the Japanese] have claimed as their own. not being controversial, I promise, just sharing.

Old 01-15-2003, 01:07 AM   #10
Edward
Thailand
Re: I have found and heard different Ed!

Quote:
Timothy Nelson (Mr.Rooster) wrote:
Hello Ed, or Mr.Karaa:

Whichever you prefer.

Anyway's, I have found with different Master's and Sensei's that the reverse is true. My understanding is that when the Japanese invaded Korea, they burnt alot of their history books and such, and alot of their history they [the Japanese] have claimed as their own. not being controversial, I promise, just sharing.
Just Edward is ok

I am not aware of the above statement, so I cannot argue whether it is true or not. We both agree however (without taking sides) that these 2 nations haven't had the best of relations historically. But since Japan has been isolated for most of its history, I just find your statement not very convincing. But again I am no expert in the matter.

Cheers,

Edward
Old 01-15-2003, 01:22 AM   #11
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Hi Edward;

There is actually a lot of shared history between the two countries, especially pre-Tokugawa. The Jomen culture was supplanted by cultures originating in Korea in at least two waves, there was continuous trade and for a time Japan occupied part of the Korean peninsula. Most of the Chinese culture that found its way into Japan came via Korea. More interesting there is apparently evidence of the Korean origin of a couple of emperors.

I think it is incorrect to say most of its history since even during Tokugawa times there was trade. Written history has often been as much about politics than truth - the Japanese and Korean's being no exception here.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 01-15-2003, 02:48 AM   #12
zheng yun
Quote:
I think the Koreans have a tendency to adopt anything Japanese, and claim it's their own
HAHA,this sentence may be put like this:"The Japanese have a tendency to adopt anything Chinese, and claim it's their own."

Frankly speaking, that's what most Chinese really think. As for Aikido,I know some people in another forum(back here in Beijing) hold that Aikido is actually simplified Ba Gua.That's a very hasty conclusion ,as none of them have any Aikido experience. However, interesting that I also find some threads on their relationship on

http://www.aikidojournal.com(thanks,Greg!)Very intriguing ideas!
Old 01-15-2003, 02:59 AM   #13
leefr
Quote:
It's true that a lot of Japanese cultural influence in Korea is passed off as Korean, and I would say that Korean animosity towards Japan causes Koreans to refuse to acknowledge the source of such influence. Of course there are also plenty of scam artists(just as there are in every other country). I think(hope?) Edward meant the above statement this way, as it could also be interpreted more unkindly.

The invasion mentioned by Mr. Nelson was undertaken by Toyotomi Hideyoshi after he unified Japan, which led to a seven-year war between the two countries that ultimately ended in the repulsion of the invasion. Toyotomi apparently had the megalomaniacal plan of eventually conquering China, and though he did not succeed, the Japanese looted and ravaged much of Korea and also carried off many of its skilled craftsmen - I believe this much is agreed upon even by Japanese scholars. But I don't know anything about the Japanese actively appropriating history.

The historical mess between the two nations is such that I think it would be much better to just concede that the cultural influence thing was a two-way street, with the traffic from Japan heavier during the twentieth century, and let the issue lie. Just the issue of hapkido's history alone is hugely controversial, and even among Koreans there seems to be no end in sight to the argument.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:04 AM   #14
AikiRooster

United_States
Smile Holy Batman!

Wow, you folks sure make good discussions hither. Peace be with you my friends.

Old 01-15-2003, 06:05 AM   #15
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Quote:
zheng yun wrote:
http://www.aikidojournal.com(thanks,Greg!)Very intriguing ideas!
You're very welcome.

Best Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 01-15-2003, 07:10 AM   #16
Edward
Thailand
Quote:
zheng yun wrote:
HAHA,this sentence may be put like this:"The Japanese have a tendency to adopt anything Chinese, and claim it's their own."
I do not understand the sarcasm. It is a historical fact that Japan has borrowed many of its cultural and religious aspects from China such as Buddhism (which China borrowed from India!), philosophy, morality, writing, clothing, military strategy...etc. But the fact is the Japanese never denied the origin of these elements, in the countrary they bragged about their knowledge of such and such Chinese scholars, poets, strategists or historical annals.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:14 AM   #17
Edward
Thailand
Quote:
Frederick Lee (leefr) wrote:
It's true that a lot of Japanese cultural influence in Korea is passed off as Korean, and I would say that Korean animosity towards Japan causes Koreans to refuse to acknowledge the source of such influence. Of course there are also plenty of scam artists(just as there are in every other country). I think(hope?) Edward meant the above statement this way, as it could also be interpreted more unkindly.
Hello Frederick,

By no means did I want my post to be understood in an unkindly fashion. Sorry for any misunderstanding. Now for the Korean animosity towards Japan, I had an unfortunate first hand experience a few years ago when I mistook a group of South Korean tourists to be Japanese, and approached them as such. All I can tell you is that I narrowly escaped being beaten up.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:23 AM   #18
Edward
Thailand
Quote:
Peter Rehse (PeterR) wrote:
Hi Edward;

There is actually a lot of shared history between the two countries, especially pre-Tokugawa.
Hello Peter, Thanks for the clarification. Actually I have no doubt that the cultural traffic was a 2 way street as Frederick nicely put it. Frederick's post expresses my own opinion better than my post, actually
Old 01-15-2003, 07:30 AM   #19
kung fu hamster
Did your aikido save you?

Old 01-15-2003, 10:17 AM   #20
leefr
Quote:
Hello Frederick,

By no means did I want my post to be understood in an unkindly fashion. Sorry for any misunderstanding. Now for the Korean animosity towards Japan, I had an unfortunate first hand experience a few years ago when I mistook a group of South Korean tourists to be Japanese, and approached them as such. All I can tell you is that I narrowly escaped being beaten up.
No offense taken, Edward. Just wanted to clear things up a bit before some of my more fiery countrymen took a crack at the topic. And I'm sorry you had such a bad experience - anti-Japanese sentiment does run quite high, especially with the older generations, but you seem to have stumbled across a particularly bad-tempered batch. To tell the truth, I myself sometimes have bouts of ambivalence about practicing a Japanese art - not often, but sometimes. And stuff like O'sensei making trips to Mongolia and hosting right-wing societies in his dojo seems to be a matter of only passing interest to most, but when viewed from the perspective of a country that suffered imperialist rule as a result of such activities, can hardly be brushed off lightly.

I am still with Aikido, though, and that is all that needs to be said.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:24 AM   #21
Edward
Thailand
Quote:
Linda Morimoto (kung fu hamster) wrote:
Did your aikido save you?

No, my instant apologies did
Old 01-15-2003, 10:47 AM   #22
Edward
Thailand
Quote:
Frederick Lee (leefr) wrote:
you seem to have stumbled across a particularly bad-tempered batch.
Intoxicated would be more accurate This and the fact that they were accompanied by their wives or girlfriends probably over-activated their adrenal glands
Quote:
when viewed from the perspective of a country that suffered imperialist rule as a result of such activities, can hardly be brushed off lightly.
Fully agree. Let's hope however that the past would be forgiven...
Old 01-15-2003, 10:49 AM   #23
zheng yun
Quote:
I do not understand the sarcasm. It is a historical fact that Japan has borrowed many of its cultural and religious aspects from China such as Buddhism (which China borrowed from India!), philosophy, morality, writing, clothing, military strategy...etc. But the fact is the Japanese never denied the origin of these elements, in the countrary they bragged about their knowledge of such and such Chinese scholars, poets, strategists or historical annals.
Hi,Edward,

I just wanted to point out something that most(or,better say many )Chinese take for granted ,no matter it's a fact or not.

I'm sorry if anyone ever felt offended.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:02 AM   #24
Edward
Thailand
Quote:
zheng yun wrote:
I'm sorry if anyone ever felt offended.
Not at all. Free exchange of (conflicting)opinions is what makes these forums interesting
Old 01-15-2003, 09:07 PM   #25
bob_stra
Australia
Is there a good site on Ba Gua that anyone can recommended? I'd love to see some mpgs, as I have a friend in Canada who swear black and blue by it and am curious to see what all the fuss is over.