Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-12-2004, 12:30 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: Should the instructor be responsible for everything that happens on the mat during aikido training?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of December 12, 2004:

Should the instructor be responsible for everything that happens on the mat during aikido training?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Yes
  • No
Here are the current results.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:25 AM   #2
ruthmc
Dojo: Wokingham Aikido
United Kingdom
Re: Poll: Should the instructor be responsible for everything that happens on the mat during aikido training?

Ultimately, the instructor IS responsible. But as Aikido students I think we are all responsible for encouraging each other, watching out for each other, and helping each other along the path. There's nothing more contrary to the spirit of Aikido than a student who is only interested in his own training, and won't bother about his partner, or the other students.

So I don't think the instructor *should* be responsible - it's a shared responsibility.

Ruth
Old 12-12-2004, 05:07 AM   #3
mj
Re: Poll: Should the instructor be responsible for everything that happens on the mat during aikido training?

He is liable for everything.

He can't be everyplace at once on the mat, though.

Old 12-12-2004, 05:43 AM   #4
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada

Of course the instructor should be responsible - that's what being an instructor is all about. Or rather; what is at the core of instructorship - the acceptance of responsibility toward your students.
That does not, of course, absolve other members from their own responsibility; but as the 'captain of the ship' as it were; yes, the Sensei must hold ultimate responsibility.
Cheers!

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:02 AM   #5
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, to blame, no. But to ultimately be responsible and accountable, yes.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 12-12-2004, 06:12 PM   #6
Atomicpenguin

I think that the answer to this one sort of depends on your perspective. When I act as an instructor, I say yes, absolutely. When I function as a student, I say no, definitely not. At some point we have to take an active role in our own training. It shouldn't be just a matter of passively embracing what someone else says. Obviously, at the low levels this has to be the case because new people don't know what's going on. Somewhere you have to make the art your own and take some responsibility for your own progress. At the same time, the instructor needs be and feel responsible for what happens inside the school. I voted no, but I think that the answer could be either.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:56 AM   #7
Aikilove
Dojo: Lunds Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Re: Safety - Responsible for everything that happens on the mat? I feel that the instructor is responsible to show a safe way of training, and as long as the student do what the instructor tells them there should never be any injuries. It is therefor the students responsebility to do so. Unless the student do what the instuctor shows, the students are responsible if anything happens.

Re: Development - I think the student has a responsebility towards him/herself to take his/her aikido training to higher levels. It is the instructors responsebility to provide the platform to do so. The instructor can not make someone great. He/She can only pave the way for the student to make hem/herself great.

Jakob Blomquist
Old 12-14-2004, 10:19 AM   #8
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Although the instructor is responsible for whatever happens in his/her class, it doesn't let anyone else off the hook. In gassho, tamonmark
Old 12-15-2004, 09:20 AM   #9
Michael Neal

I don't see how it is possible for an instructor to be responsible for everything that happens on the mat.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:46 AM   #10
Rocky Izumi
Dojo: GUST Aikido Club
Kuwait

Absolutely.

Rock
Old 12-15-2004, 09:06 PM   #11
Jill N
Dojo: K-W Ki Aikido (Kitchener, Ont)
Canada

yup.
e ya later
Jill.