Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
NagaBaba

Visiting Hawaii

We will be visiting Hawaii 29.10 -- 12.11.2011 with my wife.

29.10 -- 1.11 we will be in Honolulu and visiting around island and 1-11 November we will be visiting Kauai with Kapaa as a base.

Hopefully we will have a good chance to meet Chris Li, any other possibility to aikido&beer&sake practice? I know there are some aikiweb members from Hawaii. It would be fantastic for us to meet you guys. We love very much good Japanese food, and Nature, planned some light trekking, and already bought solid boots. Now I'm looking for advices where to go as addition to our plans (yes we did our homework! ). I got some from Trip Adviser forum; we are not funs of crowded tourist places.

I.e. many friends suggest strongly rent a jeep instead of small car, is it really a must? Apparently one can't drive to many places because of the state of the roads. So with small car you drive up to certain point and then have to walk few miles to the beach…However such upgrade is quite expensive.

What should we be aware of?

Thanks!

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 10-18-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
jamie yugawa

Dojo: Sapporo
Japan
Re: Visiting Hawaii

There are so many great dojos on Oahu. On Kawaii, there is Shimokawa Sensei's dojo Lihue Aiki Kai. As far as the car it depends on what you want to do there. A car is fine for the most part unless you are taking the back roads somewhere.

One little candle can light 10,000 candles- Koichi Tohei Sensei
Old 10-21-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
NagaBaba

Quote:
Jamie Yugawa wrote: View Post
There are so many great dojos on Oahu. On Kawaii, there is Shimokawa Sensei's dojo Lihue Aiki Kai. As far as the car it depends on what you want to do there. A car is fine for the most part unless you are taking the back roads somewhere.
Thank you Jamie.

No other advises? What about utility of GPS?

Nagababa

Old 10-21-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
Rob Watson
United_States

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post
No other advises?
7 to 10 days after the full moon avoid the beaches or you will experience the fun of the jellyfish stings.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
jamie yugawa

Japan

The use of GPS or any other location device is great, especially if you are unfamiliar with the Hawaiian names of areas. As far as places to eat, I don't frequent Oahu enough to recommend any great Japanese restaurants other than genki sushi. But I am sure there are much better places for that!!!

Old 10-22-2011, 09:57 PM   #6
jamie yugawa

Japan

Yeah if you hit the Big Island sometime, please let me know. It is bigger, smaller towns and a lot of nature things to do here. Plus we love to drink and eat with visitors!!!!!

Old 11-05-2011, 11:34 PM   #7
NagaBaba

Quick update:
We met Chris, practice some extensive esoteric stuff. Now we are on Kauai, is so much more fun and beautiful then Honolulu...
more to come

Nagababa

Old 11-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States

Szczcpejstezept-- You're in Hawaii? I thought you were in the wild, deep, deadly north?
Old 11-13-2011, 11:06 AM   #9
NagaBaba

Its good to change sometimes North to Hawaii

Back home now with tons of pix and video. Definitely Kauai is the most beautiful island I've ever seen. Some folks here do camping for 5 $ per night! (fresh water and electricity included) You can buy from locals the fruits, depending of the season (apple bananas, mango and papayas...i.e. 3 items for 2$, super fresh and aromatic ooouuhhhhh, the best we've ever eaten...) No mosquito or other fierce beasts.

We did some hiking, this time almost only easy trails. Waimea canyon is a breath taking! There are some wild beaches, spectacular and ....empty. No tourists, you can have one only for you...why all this ppl go to extra crowded Waikiki??? Mystery....

And I agree, travel is killing, but well,I suspect there is no other way to enter into the Paradise...

Nagababa

Old 11-14-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post
Quick update:
We met Chris, practice some extensive esoteric stuff.
Szczepan:

Care to elaborate on the esoteric stuff?

marc abrams
Old 11-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #11
NagaBaba

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Szczepan:

Care to elaborate on the esoteric stuff?

marc abrams
Hi Marc,

I suppose it was typical IS/IP training, but I can be wrong, I've never seen one. What I can say it was not aikido training. We were not surprised because Chris warned me it will be special practice. Chris did great job trying to explain very many details, but my brain is so limited, I'm afraid I forgot a lot. Also his students were very kind and enthusiastic trying to help us.

We did something like typical katate ryote dori kokyu ho but standing, or more precisely walking step by step forward and backward while doing kokyu down and/or up. We did also something that resembled tenchi nage if I remember correctly and some kumi tachi with bokken. In the end it was very strange exercise from seiza also from attack katate ryote dori where nage simply raised forearms one million times without moving the elbows.

I regretted we didn't do some warm-up and rolling; we were so sour stiff and broken after 20 hours in the plane and needed it badly.

Nagababa