Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Seminars

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-23-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
AikiWeb System
Takeda Yoshinobu Shihan 8 dan in Duisburg Germany 7/14-7/15/2012

Posted 2012-02-23 19:12:22 by Chicko Xerri
News URL: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...9&l=2b48707738

All Aikidoka are invited to attend and expand further on their perception of Aikido Join us in Duisburg Germany on the 14 and 15 of July, 2012 at 10 am each day at Friedrich- Alfred Str. 15. The Sportschule Wedau Judo Hall. Contact: OtomeAndre.web.de

Old 03-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Re: Takeda Yoshinobu Shihan 8 dan in Duisburg Germany 7/14-7/15/2012

Hi all

This seems like a great opportunity to get some new perspectives on my training - but could someone please inform me a little bit about Yoshinobu senseis relation to hombu dojo?

I can see from sources on the internet that he is with the Aikido Kenkyukai International, and my sources with relation to Hombu dojo tells me that he is not someone they have met there on a regular basis. However in different sources he is stated as a member of the board of directors in hombu dojo.

Just courious..

JJ

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 03-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
Chicko Xerri
Dojo: Aikido Kenkyukai International Fudoshin dojo Australia.
Australia

Dear Jorgen,
Yes Takeda Shihan has from the beginning of his Aikido experience been connected through Aikikai Honbu. He was a long time student of Yamaguchi Seigo Shihan ( deceased ) a Honbu Instructor. Takeda Shihan is a director on the Board for Aikikai Honbu. and is very close to the Doshu on Aikido activities. Also each year During May the A.K.I. celebrate with one whole day of Social activity with Doshu UESHIBA. An Enbukai followed by a big dinner with introductions and speeches Takeda shihan Shonan Aikido Renmei organisation Japan has expanded outside Japan and taken on the title of Aikido Kenkyukai International ( A.K.I ) which when translated means Aikido Research Group.
When you have the opportunity to experience his liberating and deeply connected Aiki experience then you will discover new opportinity in your own practise and direction. I believe so.
All the best to you Jorgen

Last edited by Chicko Xerri : 03-08-2012 at 04:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Jørgen Jakob Friis wrote: View Post
Hi all

This seems like a great opportunity to get some new perspectives on my training - but could someone please inform me a little bit about Yoshinobu senseis relation to hombu dojo?

I can see from sources on the internet that he is with the Aikido Kenkyukai International, and my sources with relation to Hombu dojo tells me that he is not someone they have met there on a regular basis. However in different sources he is stated as a member of the board of directors in hombu dojo.

Just courious..

JJ
Actually, the Aikikai has an organizational structure that is not well known outside Japan. The Aikikai (公益財団法人合気会) is the legal entity that sits at the top. Doshu is Chairman of this body and the President is a politician, I believe. Below this on the flow chart are three bodies: the Aikido Gakkou (the Aikido School), the Hombu Dojo, and the International Aikido Federation (IAF). Then the lines become more complex. Affiliated to the Hombu Dojo within Japan are (1) all the local organizations and clubs in Japan (including Takeda Shihan's Shonan Aikido Renmei), (2) all the organizations and clubs in the government and in companies, (3) all the clubs in the Japanese Self-Defence forces, and (4) all the organizations and clubs in the All-Japan Student Aikido Federation. This makes well over 2,000 organizations and clubs. My own dojo is part of (1). Some of these local organizations and clubs, which also have branches overseas, are part of the All-Japan Aikido Federation and it is this organization of which Takeda Shihan is a 理事 (Director).

The flowchart appears each year in the brochure distributed at the All-Japan Aikido Demonstration, held in May at the Nippon Budokan. Takeda Shihan usually gives a demonstration on this occasion.

I believe that Takeda Shihan is based in Kamakura. His teacher, Yamaguchi Seigo, also had a close relationship with the main dojo in Hiroshima, where I trained regularly, such that when I visited the Hombu Dojo, I also trained in Yamaguchi Sensei's dojo in Shibuya (no tatami here) and in his classes at the Hombu Dojo.

Best wishes, and apologies for the thread drift. I hope the training course is successful.

P A Goldsbury
Old 03-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
JJF

Denmark

Thank you very much to both of you.

For som reason I always finde it interesting to get more insight in the world of aikido politics... Some might think this is the same mechanism that makes me enjoy yonkyo

I will certainly see if I can get a group together and fill a car for the Duisburg seminar.

See you all on the mat

JJ

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Old 03-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
Chicko Xerri
Dojo: Aikido Kenkyukai International Fudoshin dojo Australia.
Australia

If you can get a few people together. I guarantee you will all have a great conversation on the drive back home, about the seminar with Takeda Shihan.
Regards Chicko
Old 06-04-2012, 03:40 AM   #7
JJF

Denmark

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
The flowchart appears each year in the brochure distributed at the All-Japan Aikido Demonstration, held in May at the Nippon Budokan. Takeda Shihan usually gives a demonstration on this occasion.
Thank you for the description of the Aikikai structure. It renders me slightly less confused than I was before
Is there a chance that this flowchart could be found or distributed digitally? I would like to see it.

Best

JJ

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Old 06-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
JJF

Denmark

Hi.

Were planning to fill a car or two and come down for this seminar.

Can anybody please confirm that it's still on, and maybe give a little bit of info on the where, when and how of the thing?

Thank's

Jørgen Jakob

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Old 06-15-2012, 01:59 AM   #9
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

It's still on. Friend of mine will go there.

I found this:

Seminar Flyer

Takeda Yoshinobu Shihan 8.Dan
14.07.2012 bis 15.07.2012

Sportschule Wedau
Friedrich-Alfred Strasse 15
47055 Duisburg

Deutschland / Nordrhein-Westfalen

Kontakt: Andre Otome
Tel:+49-201-94677451
Old 06-15-2012, 02:19 AM   #10
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Takeda was one of my favorite Aikido guys - soft technique, but very sharp and clean. Something to look forward to at the All Japan each year.

Then again, sometimes he gets into this kind of thing:

http://youtu.be/Ltf6-Qqc40Y

A lot of "interesting" things here - but be sure to watch the distance stuff from around 07:30.

Best,

Chris

Old 06-15-2012, 02:21 AM   #11
JJF

Denmark

Thank you Carsten. They were also kind enough to reply to my e-mail after having written to the address I found at Facebook. I just wasn't able to find any additional information anywere.

I'll be going. And I will bring my iaito in case somebody want's to hear about Aiki toho (I seem to recall you took part in the weapons discussion )

Really looking forward to it.. just hopes my knee won't give me too much grief.

JJ

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Old 06-15-2012, 03:09 AM   #12
JJF

Denmark

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
A lot of "interesting" things here - but be sure to watch the distance stuff from around 07:30.
Hi Chris

Yeah.. i've seen a few examples of this in his videos. It's a little... interesting... as you put it. Then again.. I have a few examples in my past where i've experienced things I wouldn't have believed if I been a spectator so,, who knows. And the rest of what he is doing is so soft and well timed that I just have to experience him for myself. He also comes highly recommende by some I admire a lot.. so...

It's going to be interesting to see what he can do with european uke's I'll let you know.

JJ

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Old 06-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #13
Anthony Loeppert
Dojo: Aikido of Del Mar
United_States

Quote:
Takeda was one of my favorite Aikido guys - soft technique, but very sharp and clean. Something to look forward to at the All Japan each year.

Then again, sometimes he gets into this kind of thing:

http://youtu.be/Ltf6-Qqc40Y

Best,

Chris
It seemed to have started a lot earlier than the timeframe you mention. To paraphrase a comment by "unknown author" on the internet, translated from Spanish, "what is this shit?"
Old 06-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Anthony Loeppert wrote: View Post
It seemed to have started a lot earlier than the timeframe you mention. To paraphrase a comment by "unknown author" on the internet, translated from Spanish, "what is this shit?"
Oh sure, but I thought that the group stuff towards the end was especially perplexing.

Best,

Chris

Old 06-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #15
Anthony Loeppert
United_States

Quote:
Oh sure, but I thought that the group stuff towards the end was especially perplexing.

Best,

Chris
Ok, i confess, i only watched the first 2 minutes the first time.

I agree. It is perplexing. What makes grown (ass) men behave this way?
Old 06-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #16
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Anthony Loeppert wrote: View Post
Ok, i confess, i only watched the first 2 minutes the first time.

I agree. It is perplexing. What makes grown (ass) men behave this way?
Kool aid?

He was a student of Seigo Yamaguchi - now, Yamaguchi was soft, but he touched me every time he threw me that I remember.

I actually had a discussion about this with one of Takeda's contemporaries (also a Yamaguchi student). He started out with "brain-washing" and "hypnotism" and it went downhill from there - at the end he said "Well, it's not a very good way to train".

FWIW...

Best,

Chris

Old 06-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #17
Anthony Loeppert
United_States

I mean, enjoy the seminar guys!
Take care,
Anthony
Old 06-18-2012, 03:36 AM   #18
JJF

Denmark

This is going to be sooo interesting. Yes.. I was a bit put of by the long distance bokken techniques in the video, but this type of hyper sensibility between Uke and Nage can be the result from training very intensely for many years. No doubt the man has very soft but extremely well timed and powerful technique.

One thing that made me decide to go is this review by a person who should be well known to all the users of this forum: http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244

Also I've been watching some videos of some of Takeda senseis students. Lia Suzuki for one. It's easy to see the influence of his technique, but she is also showing much more basic bodywork and footwork quite similar to what I know from our own line of Aikido. I just think what Takeda Sensei is putting on display is the level he and his 'study group' (literal translation of the name of his organization if I understand it right) has reached. It is beyond basic technique but I believe it is routed in sound and sincere practice for many many years.

So.. I expect a great seminar with emphasis on being soft and moving your body not to mention using atemi with a minimum of power and maximum of impact.... however.. if he starts us out on meditation exercises for levitation and invisibility then I might consider going out for a beer instead.

If what he is doing has any thing to do with Yamaguchi senseis aikido, then I will be more than happy. As example see this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxvg4...eature=related

JJ

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Old 06-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #19
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
J�rgen Jakob Friis wrote: View Post
This is going to be sooo interesting. Yes.. I was a bit put of by the long distance bokken techniques in the video, but this type of hyper sensibility between Uke and Nage can be the result from training very intensely for many years. No doubt the man has very soft but extremely well timed and powerful technique.
Of course, and it's a common training paradigm in Aikido. I do have my doubts as to how well conditioning yourself for exaggerated reactivity really works for most people in the long run, not to mention that it encourages demonstrations that makes us look like idiots.

Best,

Chris

Old 06-19-2012, 02:30 AM   #20
JJF

Denmark

Quote:
... it encourages demonstrations that makes us look like idiots.
In some of my relatives point of view I crossed that border once I began putting on a skirt not to mention waving a stick around at imaginary attackers..

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Old 06-19-2012, 05:29 AM   #21
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Jørgen Jakob Friis wrote: View Post
So.. I expect a great seminar with emphasis on being soft and moving your body not to mention using atemi with a minimum of power and maximum of impact.... however.. if he starts us out on meditation exercises for levitation and invisibility then I might consider going out for a beer instead.

If what he is doing has any thing to do with Yamaguchi senseis aikido, then I will be more than happy. As example see this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxvg4...eature=related

JJ
Hi JJ,

I don't know if you have seen Takeshi Yamashima, but he is another student of Yamaguchi Sensei and a teacher I can recommend highly. Definitely meets your first expectation (and likes a beer afterwards as well). Also definitely not into the "no-touch" stuff...

He is visiting Europe over the next few weeks - in England on the weekends of 30 June/1 July (Manchester) and 7/8 July (Bath), and he usually teaches in Holland, France and Germany too. It may be worth a Google if you are interested.

Alex

PS, that's one of the best films of Yamaguchi Sensei I have seen - thanks for posting...
Old 06-19-2012, 07:27 AM   #22
JJF

Denmark

Thanks Alex. He has now been thoroughly google'd, and youtube'd.. Very interesting.
A bit of almost no-touch in this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPyNw...eature=related
but otherwise very different from Takeda sensei albeit still very soft.

regarding you PS.. you might want to note that it is filmed by Nishio sensei. Interesting for us who (try to) follow his line of thought in Aikido

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Old 06-19-2012, 07:38 AM   #23
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom

Here's another clip that I like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lo1DW9a7GM

Yamashima Sensei is the only teacher that I have taken ukemi from who has had anything like the feeling of "nothingness" that I got from Yamaguchi Sensei back in the 1980s.

Alex
Old 06-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #24
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Alex Megann wrote: View Post
Hi JJ,

I don't know if you have seen Takeshi Yamashima, but he is another student of Yamaguchi Sensei and a teacher I can recommend highly. Definitely meets your first expectation (and likes a beer afterwards as well). Also definitely not into the "no-touch" stuff...

He is visiting Europe over the next few weeks - in England on the weekends of 30 June/1 July (Manchester) and 7/8 July (Bath), and he usually teaches in Holland, France and Germany too. It may be worth a Google if you are interested.

Alex

PS, that's one of the best films of Yamaguchi Sensei I have seen - thanks for posting...
And he'll be back in Hawaii again at the end of July. Very down to earth guy - definitely worth a look if you haven't seen him (or even if you have!).

Best,

Chris