Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #51
Janet Rosen

Re: What exactly is an independent dojo?

Quote:
David Yap wrote: View Post
Originally posted during my 10th year in aikido (2003) and thread was revived 3 years later and now. Perhaps it will be resurrected in 2013 to mark my 20th year
David, you probably win a special Aikiweb award for being the rare OP on a resurrected thread to still be here!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 11-08-2011, 09:36 AM   #52
dave9nine
Dojo: Aikido Institute - Oakland
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Why is this being resurrected five years after the OP had a very specific question from three years before that that had been resolved already!?!?
hmm. maybe because the threads remain 'open' and available for people to continue to post and reply to?
Old 11-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #53
Hanna B
Sweden

Quote:
Nafis Zahir wrote: View Post
For example, my old instructor never to anyone about the aikikai blue books, nor would he let you have it. That was because they do not associate with any other dojos or instrctors and do not want their students training anywhere else. They teach that the Iwama style is the only true style and that anything else you learn is garbage. The one thing they do say that I agree with, is that they got tired of all of the politics. When I left, I asked for my blue book. My shodan ranking was marked by the Late Toyoda Shihan with whom the had links to.
What is this blue book? I'm an Aikikai nidan and I've never seen nor heard about blue books. I have a card with my rankings, and I had some kind of membership card I think. Neither is blue.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #54
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

My "blue book" is a passport-like booklet from Aikikai Hombu. It is inscribed "Aikikai International Yudansha Book" on the front and incorporates my Aikikai membership number, my Aikikai Foundation number, and my rank registration number. Mine is signed by Kobayashi Shihan and chopped by Doshu. I also received a membership card from the Aikikai Foundation at the same time.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 11-09-2011, 12:35 AM   #55
Hanna B
Sweden

Okay. I guess I should search it out in my drawers and see if it actually is blue. I remember it as just a folded piece of cardboard, but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:01 AM   #56
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Hanna Björk wrote: View Post
What is this blue book? I'm an Aikikai nidan and I've never seen nor heard about blue books. I have a card with my rankings, and I had some kind of membership card I think. Neither is blue.
when you buy "used" car in the U.S., you go and check the blue book value which shown the estimated worth of the car. same in this case, the blue book is to show you your aikido value over time, which will be less and less over the year, as older car worth less; unless it's a good reliable model or one of those old restored car, then it worth more.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 11-09-2011, 07:19 AM   #57
ShaderockLouis
United_States

I today bid you a good days.I will say,although my major athletic goal is to become best boxer,I trains in some Solidity techniques.I am currently seeking a boxer's licences(hope it's blue)and I hear it's a passport book;also called a bible.Let's celebrate our lovely craft.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:31 AM   #58
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Quote:
Okay. I guess I should search it out in my drawers and see if it actually is blue. I remember it as just a folded piece of cardboard, but maybe I'm wrong.
It looks probably like this (maybe without the presentations of the generations of Ueshiba).
http://www.aikikai.se/dan/diplom.html
Old 11-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #59
Hanna B
Sweden

Quote:
Peter Gröndahl wrote: View Post
It looks probably like this (maybe without the presentations of the generations of Ueshiba).
http://www.aikikai.se/dan/diplom.html
Oh, that's the dan diploma. We're talking about the yudansha card, where the shihan responsible for the grading puts his hanko. (At least I think we are.)
Old 11-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #60
grondahl
Sweden

Quote:
Oh, that's the dan diploma. We're talking about the yudansha card, where the shihan responsible for the grading puts his hanko. (At least I think we are.)
The yudansha card is also in pictures a little scroll down the page.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:03 PM   #61
Hanna B
Sweden

Rings a bell, maybe. OK so now I know what I should be searching for
Old 11-10-2011, 05:37 AM   #62
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom

"They teach that the Iwama style is the only true style and that anything else you learn is garbage. The one thing they do say that I agree with, is that they got tired of all of the politics. "

Just an observation (because I have heard this in different forms from lots of independent dojos) isn't this an oxymoron?
Old 11-10-2011, 07:33 AM   #63
grondahl
Sweden

Quote:
Philip Smith wrote: View Post
"They teach that the Iwama style is the only true style and that anything else you learn is garbage. The one thing they do say that I agree with, is that they got tired of all of the politics. "

Just an observation (because I have heard this in different forms from lots of independent dojos) isn't this an oxymoron?
Why? Most of the politic quarrels I have encountered in aikido seems to be internal affairs within an organisation or style rather than style vs style.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #64
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom

Quote:
Peter Gröndahl wrote: View Post
Why? Most of the politic quarrels I have encountered in aikido seems to be internal affairs within an organisation or style rather than style vs style.
What I was trying to say is that the first sentence is obviously political, but then the dojo says it has become independent to get away from politics.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #65
inframan
United_States

Quote:
Philip Smith wrote: View Post

I'd say its at least a little ironic.