Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-01-2012, 03:48 AM   #1
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom
Mark's revised adventure

Anyone who read my thread posted last year, http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20207 will probably have concluded that my travel plans had come to naught. Well, plans sometimes change, and mine are no exception. So for a number of different reasons I won’t go into, here is my revised plan, which is for the next 3 months, all on to take place.

I have a flight booked into Seattle on the 21st of June. Then I have 90 days (the max I can stay in the US, without going through the costly and uncertain process of obtaining a Visa). So I will have 3 months of travelling to as many dojos as I can, meeting as many people as I can, learning as much as I can, along the way.

There are many aikiweb posters I have come to know from their writing over the years, that I would like to meet and practice with (many kind offers from my original thread, which I hope to take up). Quite when that will be is not too certain, as I have decided to ditch the idea of working to a fixed route and itinerary. I am going to try the ‘going with the flow’ approach and set off, in the vehicle that I have sorted out (a 1977 VW camper), and see where the process leads me. I probably have enough time and just about enough money, to see both coasts and some points in the vast interior. But, I do want the freedom to be able to stay somewhere, if I meet someone who has a good stuff I can learn from.

I would appreciate any suggestions of teachers you feel I simply ‘must’ meet. Although my aikido practice has been Tohei’s ki model based, I am looking forward to experiencing all styles. I have met Ikeda Sensei when he came to the UK recently, and enjoyed his teaching immensely. Are there any/many teachers there in the US who you feel are operating at a his or a higher level, and that I might get to feel?

Any suggestions on etiquette and the right way to approach my encounters, would be gratefully received. Is it OK to just turn up at a dojo and politely request to practice? Should I make contact with the sensei by phone/email before hand and request permission? As I will effectively be a ‘rankless ronin’ I will be carrying a black and white belt, it makes no difference to me, which one I wear. Should I mention the grade I hold in my own organisation?

Anyway, I am really looking forward to meeting many people on this little jaunt, so look out for an older Englishman in an old German bus, looking for new experiences. He maybe coming your way very soon.

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:25 AM   #2
MM
United_States
Re: Mark's revised adventure

Hi Mark,

If you find yourself near the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area, let me know. I'll buy you dinner and go over the training I do.

Mark
Old 06-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #3
Brian Beach
United_States

On your way down the coast I would stop by here and see Mike -

http://www.aikidoofashland.net/about_dojo/friedl.htm
Old 06-01-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States

Hi Mark -

Glad to hear the trip is still on. Our invitation's still open. Let Mary and me know when you're approaching western Mass. and we'll set something up.

Ron

Old 06-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States

If you make it up to the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area of New York, lemme know.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
DH
United_States

Hi Mark
Sorry I will be missing you in Seattle I will be there for a week and leaving June 15th.
Shoot me a P.M. if you are interested in meeting up with like minded Aikido people I know there. I would suggest avoiding their regular classes and opt for their IP nights or private get togethers.
Dan
Old 06-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
Allen Beebe
United_States

Hi Mark,

If you are in Portland Oregon feel free to look me and the guys up. I'll be playing host to some strange Dutchman at that time so be warned!

Allen Beebe

~ Allen Beebe
Old 06-01-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Hi Mark,

If you find yourself near the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area, let me know. I'll buy you dinner and go over the training I do.

Mark
Hi Mark,

will do, I have been interested in your posts for quite some time, so it would be great to meet and train with you (nothing too 'modern' though )

regards,

Mark

Old 06-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #9
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Brian Beach wrote: View Post
On your way down the coast I would stop by here and see Mike -

http://www.aikidoofashland.net/about_dojo/friedl.htm
Hi Brian,

thanks for the link, I will look him up. Do you train with him yourself?

regards,

Mark

Old 06-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Ron Ragusa wrote: View Post
Hi Mark -

Glad to hear the trip is still on. Our invitation's still open. Let Mary and me know when you're approaching western Mass. and we'll set something up.

Ron
Hi Ron,

will do. As you can see, I am entering on the opposite coast. This is mainly due to me doing some research on buying and registering a vehicle in the US (Mary Malmros had warned me it was different in different states). It seems, post 9/11, it is very difficult for us 'foreign' folk to do. I have a good friend in Seattle, who can sort it all out for me, hence the change in plans.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing you and Mary, later in the summer.

regards,

Mark

Old 06-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #11
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Budd Yuhasz wrote: View Post
If you make it up to the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area of New York, lemme know.
Hi Budd,

will do, thanks for the invite,

regards,

Mark

Old 06-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #12
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Mark:

My previous offer is still good!

Travel safe,

Marc Abrams
Old 06-01-2012, 08:59 AM   #13
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Hi Mark
Sorry I will be missing you in Seattle I will be there for a week and leaving June 15th.
Shoot me a P.M. if you are interested in meeting up with like minded Aikido people I know there. I would suggest avoiding their regular classes and opt for their IP nights or private get togethers.
Dan
Hi Dan,

you can't get away from me that easily Dan, I will track you down somewhere over there and make sure I get some more hands on time with you! (maybe Orange County, Ca?)

I will be in touch by P.M as I am keen to work on the IP as much as I want to roll around and have fun doing aikido.

hope to see you pretty soon, I want your feedback on my progress, and more to work on

regards,

Mark

Old 06-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #14
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Allen Beebe wrote: View Post
Hi Mark,

If you are in Portland Oregon feel free to look me and the guys up. I'll be playing host to some strange Dutchman at that time so be warned!

Allen Beebe
Hi Allen,

I will definitely be in touch, if you can handle a strange Dutchman, then you can definitely cope with a Brit with a dodgy sense of humour

look forward to it,

regards,

Mark

Old 06-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #15
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States

Seattle and the west coast (SF Bay Area and the LA Basin) are great areas to begin with lots of good teachers. I hope we get a chance to meet, but if not, have a wonderful trip!

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."
Old 06-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #16
Jim Sorrentino

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia, Aikido Shobukan Dojo

Hello Mark,
Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote: View Post
I would appreciate any suggestions of teachers you feel I simply ‘must' meet. Although my aikido practice has been Tohei's ki model based, I am looking forward to experiencing all styles. I have met Ikeda Sensei when he came to the UK recently, and enjoyed his teaching immensely. Are there any/many teachers there in the US who you feel are operating at a his or a higher level, and that I might get to feel?
If you get to Baltimore, Maryland, I strongly recommend a visit to Baltimore Aikido [http://baltimoreaikido.com/]. Both Chuck Weber-sensei and Charlie Page-sensei are old students of Saotome-sensei and Ikeda-sensei, and have also hosted a wide range of teachers, including Bill Gleason-sensei and Mary Heiny-sensei. If you make it to Baltimore, then continue down the road for 40 miles or so to Washington, DC's Aikido Shobukan Dojo [http://www.aikido-shobukan.org/]. If you time your arrival on the east coast around early to mid-September, there is a stong possibility that Saotome-sensei will be in residence at the dojo. Of course, if you've made it that far, I hope you'll be willing to drive another 15 miles and visit my dojo in Arlington, Virginia [http://www.aikido-nova.org/]. Although I'm not operating at Ikeda-sensei's level, there are a couple of people on the mat whose work you may find interesting.

Quote:
Any suggestions on etiquette and the right way to approach my encounters, would be gratefully received. Is it OK to just turn up at a dojo and politely request to practice? Should I make contact with the sensei by phone/email before hand and request permission? As I will effectively be a ‘rankless ronin' I will be carrying a black and white belt, it makes no difference to me, which one I wear. Should I mention the grade I hold in my own organisation?
My experience both as a host and a vistor has been that a phone call or e-mail to the dojo contact listed on the website a day or two before you arrive is always appreciated. (If you PM me when you're getting near to the east coast, I'll do whatever I can to help smooth the way.) Some dojo charge a small mat fee, and others (like mine) do not. ASU dojo recognize ranks from other organizations, so if you visit any of the places I've mentioned, please wear your black belt and hakama.

See you on the mat, I hope!

Sincerely,

Jim

I mistrust all systematizers and I avoid them. The will to a system is a lack of integrity. Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols
Old 06-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #17
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Mark:

My previous offer is still good!

Travel safe,

Marc Abrams
Hi Marc,

thanks, I will be in touch. My anti clockwise west coast start, will probably have me up your way in late summer. However, I know you travel around a fair bit, so if you keep me informed, I may see you 'away from home'.
regards,

Mark

Old 06-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #18
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Jim Sorrentino wrote: View Post
Hello Mark,

If you get to Baltimore, Maryland, I strongly recommend a visit to Baltimore Aikido [http://baltimoreaikido.com/]. Both Chuck Weber-sensei and Charlie Page-sensei are old students of Saotome-sensei and Ikeda-sensei, and have also hosted a wide range of teachers, including Bill Gleason-sensei and Mary Heiny-sensei. If you make it to Baltimore, then continue down the road for 40 miles or so to Washington, DC's Aikido Shobukan Dojo [http://www.aikido-shobukan.org/]. If you time your arrival on the east coast around early to mid-September, there is a stong possibility that Saotome-sensei will be in residence at the dojo. Of course, if you've made it that far, I hope you'll be willing to drive another 15 miles and visit my dojo in Arlington, Virginia [http://www.aikido-nova.org/]. Although I'm not operating at Ikeda-sensei's level, there are a couple of people on the mat whose work you may find interesting.

My experience both as a host and a vistor has been that a phone call or e-mail to the dojo contact listed on the website a day or two before you arrive is always appreciated. (If you PM me when you're getting near to the east coast, I'll do whatever I can to help smooth the way.) Some dojo charge a small mat fee, and others (like mine) do not. ASU dojo recognize ranks from other organizations, so if you visit any of the places I've mentioned, please wear your black belt and hakama.

See you on the mat, I hope!

Sincerely,

Jim
Hi Jim

Thank you for that information, that is really helpful. I hope to be over your way around late August (I have to be back in Seattle by mid Sept).

I look forward to the opportunity of meeting and practicing with you and your colleagues.

regards

Mark

Old 06-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #19
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Tarik Ghbeish wrote: View Post
Seattle and the west coast (SF Bay Area and the LA Basin) are great areas to begin with lots of good teachers. I hope we get a chance to meet, but if not, have a wonderful trip!
Hi Tarik,

thanks, keep your eyes open for a white VW bus

regards,

Mark

Old 06-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #20
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

if you happen to be near my way, please give me a ping. i don't operate at Ikeda level, but i can operate at Phi's level which usually beats out Ikeda's level in term of foods and drinks and company.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 06-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #21
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Quote:
Hi Marc,

thanks, I will be in touch. My anti clockwise west coast start, will probably have me up your way in late summer. However, I know you travel around a fair bit, so if you keep me informed, I may see you 'away from home'.
regards,

Mark
Mark:

Dan will be at my place 8/17 & 8/19. I will be gone 7/5-7/8, 7/17- 7/23, 8/9-8/12 , 8/21-9/2.

Marc Abrams
Old 06-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #22
Nicholas Eschenbruch
Dojo: TV Denzlingen
Germany

Mark,
in the Bay area, if you get down there, I have found great training and hospitality at Kayla Feder's dojo in Berkeley and Linda Holiday's in Santa Cruz. Both nice towns, too.

In SF, I strongly recommend you check out Robert Nadeau, if you have not seen him before. His stuff and personality dont agree with everybody, but he is definitely impressive in his way.

Have a great journey.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #23
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Hi Mark,
It would be great to meet you if you can make it to Tsubaki America! Cool place to see at the least, if you have the time.
Happy journeys!
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 06-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #24
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
if you happen to be near my way, please give me a ping. i don't operate at Ikeda level, but i can operate at Phi's level which usually beats out Ikeda's level in term of foods and drinks and company.
Hi Phi, (that always sounds so good)

Phi's level is good enough for me, I love food, drink and company with a well developed sense of humour. Watch out for that ping!

regards,

Mark

Old 06-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #25
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Nicholas Eschenbruch wrote: View Post
Mark,
in the Bay area, if you get down there, I have found great training and hospitality at Kayla Feder's dojo in Berkeley and Linda Holiday's in Santa Cruz. Both nice towns, too.

In SF, I strongly recommend you check out Robert Nadeau, if you have not seen him before. His stuff and personality dont agree with everybody, but he is definitely impressive in his way.

Have a great journey.
Hi Nicholas,

thanks for the recommendation, duly noted. I have stayed in Santa Cruz before, a lovely place.

regards,

Mark