Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-25-2007, 08:56 AM   #1
Suru
United_States
Aikido in High School

I have been teaching Aikido at a local high school. I was unsure if they would have enough maturity, but I decided to give it a try. They are terrific! The students are in a Japanese club. We train on carpet in a makeshift dojo, which is a sectioned off part of the cafeteria. Without mats, I'm not going to be able to teach ukemi. We take each other to the point of falling/pinning then stop.

I believe that introducing high schoolers to the path of Aiki is essential, for they are in a vulnerable stage in which they are deciding which attitudes and directions they will take into adulthood. Aikido is better at keeping someone on a righteous path than altering a negative path.

There are many collegiate Aikido clubs, but I hope that sensei will teach even seventh and eighth graders in the future.

Does anyone teach middle school or secondary school Aikido in your towns?

Drew
Old 11-25-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
crbateman

Re: Aikido in High School

Not here, to the best of my knowledge... Too bad, too. It would make a nice addition. I do know that there are Aikido classes as part of the HS athletic curriculum in Australia. The book "Aikido: Basic and Intermediate Studies" by John Litchen, was written as a course guide for some of these.

Last edited by crbateman : 11-25-2007 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:38 PM   #3
Pierre Kewcharoen

Dojo: Aikido at NJIT
United_States

Quote:
Drew Gardner wrote: View Post
I have been teaching Aikido at a local high school. I was unsure if they would have enough maturity, but I decided to give it a try. They are terrific! The students are in a Japanese club.
Maybe they appreciate aikido more because they are in a japanese club.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
Aiki LV
Dojo: VEGAS VALLEY AIKIDO
United_States

Good for you Drew! I think what you are doing is a really great thing. I began studying aikido at the age of 13 (middle school) I'm now 29 and I can tell you from first hand experience Aikido had a huge impact upon the person I have become. As you know when you are a teenager you have so many different influences and message running around in your mind you aren't always sure which way to go. I think Aikido can help these kids find clarity and help them discover the kind of person they want to be. Hey, if nothing else it provides a positive outlet for them. What kid doesn't want a place to go where people aren't going to ridicule or make fun of them. In addition I'm sure most would agree that there is nothing wrong with teaching our young people some ettiquette and to respect each other. Anyway I just wanted to say great job. You will have more of an impact on these kids lives than I think you realize, so teach them well. -Mindy-
Old 11-25-2007, 09:44 PM   #5
Ryan Sanford
Dojo: Northwest Aikido
United_States

Great to hear of your success Drew! As a high schooler myself, I'm glad to know that my generation is leaving a good impression on you.

I would love it if there was more Aikido awareness for people my age. Out of the 2,400 or so students at my High School, only one other person besides me does Aikido. I attend the dojo closest to my school so I'm assuming that they would go the the same dojo, of course. But still, even 5 of 2,400 is not a very good ratio.

Keep up the great work in giving us teens some discipline.

"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self." - Aldous Huxley
Old 11-26-2007, 12:18 PM   #6
Peter Chenier
Dojo: Summerland Aikikai
Canada

Hey Drew,

Just thought you might like to know that in my home town Aikido is taught as an elective course in the high school. :0).

Cheers

Peter
Old 11-26-2007, 05:10 PM   #7
Suru
United_States

Quote:
Peter Chenier wrote: View Post
Hey Drew,

Just thought you might like to know that in my home town Aikido is taught as an elective course in the high school. :0).

Cheers

Peter
Peter, this is great news! I, myself, began in college, and Aikido greatly strengthened my positive attitude. However, there were other college students in the class who ascended the ranks and became even more egomaniacal than they were in the first place! Junior high/high school is the perfect time to present the beautiful Way that O'Sensei found. I hope more schools follow your lead.

Drew
Old 11-28-2007, 09:57 PM   #8
charyuop
Dojo: Ponca Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Ryan Sanford wrote: View Post
Great to hear of your success Drew! As a high schooler myself, I'm glad to know that my generation is leaving a good impression on you.

I would love it if there was more Aikido awareness for people my age. Out of the 2,400 or so students at my High School, only one other person besides me does Aikido. I attend the dojo closest to my school so I'm assuming that they would go the the same dojo, of course. But still, even 5 of 2,400 is not a very good ratio.

Keep up the great work in giving us teens some discipline.
UFC and MMA attract more...sadly because all youth sees in them is violence and not the essence of a Martial Art that I am sure it is similar in BJJ as well.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:41 AM   #9
Roman Kremianski
Dojo: Toronto Aikikai
Canada

I started Aikido early on in highschool. Aikido was very much a learning experience for me. No one can really say that teens should take up Aikido instead of MMA. Martial arts are part of nature, and nature will always weed out what doesn't belong. It's good to introduce Aikido to people, but past that point it's their job to explore it if they wish. Aikido is not going to set a young person onto some kind of better path then MMA, so there really are no limitations at that stage of life.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:53 AM   #10
ficklampa
Sweden

Quote:
Peter Chenier wrote: View Post
Hey Drew,

Cheers

Peter
how do they grade it?
that seems like a very hard thing to do.

anyhow a couple of schools come to the dojo where i train during the day for special class-courses.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:51 PM   #11
Peter Chenier
Dojo: Summerland Aikikai
Canada

Hi Michael
The kids get graded just like any other course. Not only did the teens train and take the usual beginner tests. They had to write exams and essays, and make presentations as well!
Our Shihan at the last seminar met a few of them and mentioned that they were very well mannered and worked hard at Aikido. :0)