Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-30-2008, 08:29 AM   #26
DH
United_States
Re: Evasions in Aikido

Hi George
Has he given actual verbal training tips and steps as to what students should be doing to float someones weight-up, either in say a grappling move? And how to sustain it in a moving motion. Or is he doing it in wrist grabs? How about how to capture their body ?
Cheers
Dan
Old 01-30-2008, 10:17 AM   #27
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Hi George
Has he given actual verbal training tips and steps as to what students should be doing to float someones weight-up, either in say a grappling move?
"Working! Not working... Working! Not working... OK you try!"

That's from a few years back, apparently he's now exploring different teaching models, but that's about as much explanation as I ever heard from him.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
Old 01-30-2008, 10:31 AM   #28
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

I am at an Army Operations Conference today in Germany, where we are developing what we call a "common operational picture" or COP.

I spent 2 hours briefing a room full of senior officers on the importance of terminology and why we must spend effort in ensuring that we all have the same understanding.

It is amazing how fast we forget, and assume everybody is on the same sheet of music!

I always liked the phrase "take care of the prisoners", what exactly does it mean? can mean two things very polar in nature!

Anyway, Terminology in the communication process is very important!

Old 01-30-2008, 12:25 PM   #29
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Hi George
Has he given actual verbal training tips and steps as to what students should be doing to float someones weight-up, either in say a grappling move? And how to sustain it in a moving motion. Or is he doing it in wrist grabs? How about how to capture their body ?
Cheers
Dan
Hi Dan,

Actually, I would say that he is increasingly developing a verbal method for describing what he is doing. It's quite an improvement over the "just catch it" that one got for many years. But it's still not as detailed as I would hope for. He will show something and give it his explanation but I actually see three separate elements functioning simultaneously and if you don't know that, you will still have trouble reproducing what he is doing.

Ikeda Sensei has a fairly standard repertoire for seminars. He will do this stuff mostly from grabs. He is quite good at capturing the whole body from whatever contact point he has. He doesn't address a grappling application in the usual seminar venue. I think he is still trying to get people to understand what is happening in the most basic sense. I am sure that he does a much broader and deeper presentation to his students. He has an advanced class in Boulder that is only open to a small group and that's where he works on stuff for himself. That's where I suspect he goes a bit off the grid.

When I teach, I do cover those things. My verbal / physical explanation is much more involved than his. This is probably due to the fact that I am a very verbal person to begin with and English is my first language. Anyway, I do show the principles functioning from a grappling connection, from strikes, as well as grabs. I experiment with getting the float from any possible point of contact. I even connect these principles to the sword. It's an on-going process.

I don't know who's way works better... He keeps it fairly simple and sticks with one set of attacks to show the principles functioning and I am more apt to show how the principles function via a variety of connections in the hopes that people begin to see what they all have in common. I have no real sense of which is a more effective approach in getting people to do this stuff.

I am finding training with Howard Popkin Sensei to be quite helpful in this regard. He has a very detailed system of explanation from Okamoto Sensei, who clearly is not using the "steal the technique" model of non-instruction. If I had access to Dan Angier Sensei I'd go after it but I really only get to see him every few years. But Howard is coming to my dojo twice this year and I am headed to Florida to see Okamoto Sensei and I expect my ability to both do and teach this material will be drastically enhanced by the end of this year.

Once you make the first breakthrough it comes faster but there are still many layers. The structural training aspect is also important as has been discussed. Without it you can do power neutralization of the attacker but you can't generate the kind of power in your own movement which we have been discussing on the forums here. I am pursuing some investigations in that area but haven't arrived at any consistent practice yet... still experimenting.

I'd have gotten to your one of your seminars but they've all been back east and my travel schedule is already crazy... Maybe we could get together sometime when you visit Woodinville, if you have any spare moments and the inclination.

Last edited by George S. Ledyard : 01-30-2008 at 12:38 PM.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 01-30-2008, 12:47 PM   #30
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote: View Post
"Working! Not working... Working! Not working... OK you try!"

That's from a few years back, apparently he's now exploring different teaching models, but that's about as much explanation as I ever heard from him.
He is still using that one... it's fairly useless for anyone but the uke who can actually feel the shift when his power disappears. It's virtually invisible to those watching unless you already have the skill and can see it. I am personally not a big fan of explanations which require that you understand the answer before you can understand the explanation.

But he is changing... I think that Ushiro Kenji Sensei has had a huge influence on both Ikeda Sensei and Saotome Sensei in this regard. Both have changed their presentation drastically since Ushiro Sensei first appeared at Rocky Mountain Summer Camp.

Anyway, I still think that the Americans who have the skill uniformly explain it better. I haven't trained with Dan Hardin, but Mike Sigman, Toby Threadgill, Don Angier, Howard Popkin, etc all are superb in their ability to give clear and sequential explanation of some very complex material. I don't mind going to the top Japanese Senseis to see it and feel it but I'll take the American Senseis any day for helpful instruction. I model my own process after these fellows.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 01-30-2008, 01:40 PM   #31
Tom H.
United_States

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
He is still using that one... it's fairly useless for anyone but the uke who can actually feel the shift when his power disappears.
Yes, it's not so useful for the audience, but this kind of feedback (in addition to being coached through steps) can terribly valuable while you learn how to differentiate the feelings of "working" and "not working" in your body.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:43 PM   #32
gregg block

United_States

avoiding a strike by getting offline is definately the way to go. problem is there are time when you just have no choice but to block. I love Aikido but all attacks are not commited attacks. Go fighter use feinting and misdirection. You need to be able to block and sometimes you will get hit. everything changes when you get hit. And if youve never been hit, you wont react well to it
Old 02-04-2008, 09:12 AM   #33
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Greg:

Ushiro Sensei will be teaching a seminar at my school on 5/10 & 5/11. Working with him should certainly provide you with another perspective than the one you just wrote about.

Marc Abrams