Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-03-2011, 08:44 AM   #1
dapidmini
Dojo: Surabaya Aikido Dojo
Indonesia
how to affiliate with an organization?

Hi, I'm very interested with Yoshimitsu Yamada Sensei's Aikido. his movements looks so clear and balanced. how do you make an affiliation to his organization? if I start my own dojo, I want to be in his organization..
Old 12-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
tenshinaikidoka

Dojo: Aikido Of Benton County Richland, Wa.
United_States
Re: how to affiliate with an organization?

I have often wondered this as well (not necesarily with that Shihan but other Shihans). I am a NiDan but came from an independant dojo and thus my "rank" is not recognized I guess when it comes to orginazations etc. So I would be interested if anyone has insight onto how to affiliate with "recognized" organizations etc. Also is there an evaluation period or something for rank recognition or do you just flat start over?? I am in an area where I am it as far as Aikido and I have been asked to teach at a couple dojo's that offer Judo etc.

Last edited by tenshinaikidoka : 12-03-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
kewms

Contact the organization's main office and ask them.

Or, alternatively, contact the head of an existing dojo in that organization and ask them.

Or, even better, go to a seminar taught by a senior instructor in that organization, meet people, make connections, and *then* ask.

Katherine
Old 12-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
dapidmini
Dojo: Surabaya Aikido Dojo
Indonesia

afaik, in my country Yamada Sensei's organization hasn't existed yet. that's why I want to become the first dojo to affiliate with him.. is there no other way than to attend his seminars and talk directly to him? I don't think there are any of his seminars in my country...
Old 12-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States

I'd suggest doing the Japanese thing--find somebody who can perform an introduction. Have any of your instructors trained with him? Anybody you've trained with? Anybody you've been on the mat with? Failing that, is there anyone teaching a seminar nearby who is in his organization and who you could meet?

Then find a seminar of his you can go to. You're not going to join his organization without meeting him. Write a letter (in paper) introducing yourself, giving your history, and saying you'll be at such-and-such a seminar and you hope to meet him in person there. If your history includes things that are politically problematic (you trained with another Shihan who was out of favor with Hombu) include it but with language making it clear you wish to leave that influence to come over to him.

The letter can be enclosed by your go-between or sent by you directly if you really can't find anybody.

Be warned, depending on how Hombu is dividing up the world these days, it may not be possible to affiliate with him officially.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
David Yap
Malaysia

Quote:
David Santana wrote: View Post
afaik, in my country Yamada Sensei's organization hasn't existed yet. that's why I want to become the first dojo to affiliate with him.. is there no other way than to attend his seminars and talk directly to him? I don't think there are any of his seminars in my country...
You can affiliate through Donovan Waite shihan who visits your country regularly.