Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-17-2002, 12:58 PM   #1
Kevin Masters
Dojo: Woodstock Aikido
United_States
Straight Face Irimi Nage Ukemi help

Hi there.
I've been training for about 3 months now and am having trouble taking ukemi in Irimi Nage. I've been told to relax and "go with it" and also to keep my posture and lower my hips. Meh. My knees are killing me and I feel like I'm a pain in the butt to my (very patient) nages.
Is there anything specific I can work on to help my training in this area? Or is this just something that everybody eventually "gets" in time?
I understand that there's some breathing involved. Breath in: Attack; Breath out: entering; Breath in: lifting; Breath out: nage extends/uke falls.

Domo Arigato
Old 12-17-2002, 02:00 PM   #2
shihonage
United_States
Don't worry about your nage's, it is good training for them to work with beginners.

You will get better at this, don't give up.

I almost quit after 3 months, myself.
Old 12-17-2002, 02:10 PM   #3
akiy

Hi Kevin,

Perhaps you can grab someone after class to work over the ukemi for imiminage more slowly? It's often helped me when I encountered a piece of unaccustomed ukemi to work at it slowly to see where it was falling apart...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 12-17-2002, 02:18 PM   #4
Williamross77

Dojo: aikido of shreveport
United_States
Maybe start on the ground and do a modified "kipp " in which you start on your back, with your legs over your head, extend them sorta sraight up and get use to your weight comming back down to the mat while using both hand to break fall, over time(several more months) this will build your timing untill you can lift off of the mat a few inches and land with control on your upper back and your legs sorta spring to your forehead area, then stand up and extend your rear foot back and across your body until you can easily set backside on mat without a big "kerplump", ease into everything, i still think three months is too short to really take that type of ukemi unless you do it really slow.

but try the two steps above, remember its' almost a back flip to keep yourself fromgetting hurt if the do it for real.

in Aiki
Agatsu!!
Old 12-17-2002, 02:46 PM   #5
kung fu hamster
Is it the initial 'cut-down' that gives you pain? Gotta bend your knees. Saw someone rip their acl as they went down, wasn't pretty. Sometimes you even have to scramble horizontally with one hand down to get back up again to be thrown, sort of a version of the Curly 'woo woo woo' breakdance rotation on the floor.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:32 PM   #6
Darrell Aquino
Dojo: Kailua Aikido Club
From what I understand of iriminage is that it's called the "20 year technique". So not only doing the technique but taking ukemi for 20 years. Hang in there! Try just practicing the art without the nage and see what you come up with.
Old 12-18-2002, 09:02 AM   #7
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Sounds like you are having trouble blending with the movement because your mind is resisting letting down your guard so that it takes advantage of the Iriminage, but instead you are using force to fight it?

I could give you four of five things to do, but not seeing what you are doing, who you are, how you approach practice, and the reason you are having problems, it is kind of a fruitless effort to use words when being there would be easier.

Get some athethletic knee supports, stretch a bit during the day to strengthen your knees, and relax!

Practice is practice, and it should be fun, not a chore, or a struggle.

Get two or three patient partners who will work with you over the next three months, and if you relax, it will happen.

Ask some of the other people in the dojo what they did to relax, or what they did when they were having problems blending, tuck it in the back of your mind as their human flaws, and make sure you picture everyone in their underwear ... oops, scratch that...

Most people take about one to two years to begin to get irimi in a smooth transition ... sometimes they even oops after twenty years of practice too.

Relax, let it happen.

Did I tell you to relax?

Don't be afraid to laugh at silly mistakes, laughter is always the best medicine.

Last edited by Bruce Baker : 12-18-2002 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:51 PM   #8
Kevin Masters
Dojo: Woodstock Aikido
United_States
Thanks for all your help.

Yes, Bruce, resistance is a big problem for me. I'm only trying to maintain my balance long enough for my partner to complete the technique. I feel like sprawling out right at the initial cut when Nage enters.

The Curly "Woo-woo-woop" maneuver had me cracking up.

I can be a serious martial artist while laughing at my own silliness, right?

Thanks again.

Relaxingly,
Old 12-18-2002, 06:31 PM   #9
VegasJody
Dojo: Desert Wind Aikido Las Vegas
Quote:
Kevin Masters wrote:
I can be a serious martial artist while laughing at my own silliness, right?
Absolutely. Train in the spirit of joy.

I SAID JOY - DERN IT!!