Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-22-2003, 07:04 AM   #1
ChristianBoddum

Dojo: Aarhus AiKiKai
Names of techniques ?

Hi everybody !
At the time I am preparing for my 2. kyu testing and actually know more techniquies than I do names, so I am hoping for some help here.

A straight forward throw from ex. an ushirowaza is that a kokyunage ?

A bodyturn that turns into a choke - one hand on top op neck and one under - what could the name of that be ?

When you're in position to iriminage but grab uke's collar by the neck and make a reverse tenkan and pull him down on the backside -
what could that be ?

And finally rokkyo is that like a reverse shihonage where uke's elbow is on top of your shoulder (elbow crusher)or is a kind of bodyturn.

I may add that I'm trainig in aikikai/Nishio style and these techniquies are not from the
iaido katas - as far as I can see.

Thaks in advance - yours Chr.B.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:28 AM   #2
Jay Vigilla
"A straight forward throw from ex. an ushirowaza" and "iriminage but grab uke's collar by the neck and make a reverse tenkan" I believe are both kokyunages.

Rokkyo is as you have described, but my Sensei has said that that name is not often used (at least in his experience) and it is refered to as something else. I think Katagatame, but I could be dead wrong.

The body turn to a choke sounds like (as it has been taugh to me) a similar motion as kaitennage. The actual name sof chokes, however, I have not been explicitly taught.

Best of luck on your kyu exam. Gambate.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:41 PM   #3
ChristianBoddum

Thanks a lot Jay !!

By the way does anybody know if jujinage

qualifies as a kokyunage ?

I've been looking around a little,I think

the reverse tenkan with a grab in the neckcollar may be called a tenkanho -

a choke could be called shime but I'm not sure it's precise enough.

Chr.B.
Old 02-26-2003, 03:38 PM   #4
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Quote:
Christian Boddum (ChristianBoddum) wrote:
Thanks a lot Jay !!

By the way does anybody know if jujinage

qualifies as a kokyunage ?

I've been looking around a little,I think

the reverse tenkan with a grab in the neckcollar may be called a tenkanho -

a choke could be called shime but I'm not sure it's precise enough.
The basic problem with your question is that terminology varies quite a lot from place to place and style to style.

Where I train, we dont use the term "kokyunage", and I can tell you from my early attempts to find out what it means that almost *any* technique qualifies as a kokyunage to somebody somewhere. (If you throw somebody, and you're breathing, voila! )

The reverse tenkan collar grabby thing would, I think, be called "ushiroate" in my dojo. I can pretty much guarantee that isn't the name your instructor uses for it.

The choke/strangle probably is called something or other shime/jime. But that isn't normally considered an aikido technique, so maybe the name you're looking for is borrowed judo terminology.

I'm not sure I understood your description, but it sounded like it could be juji-jime, or maybe hadakajime. (They're very different techniques, but your description kind of could have been either, if you see what I mean.)

I realise that was no help at all.

Sean

x
Old 02-26-2003, 04:09 PM   #5
ChristianBoddum

That's okay Sean !

There is indeed a lot of variation in the names,I studied a board of names when I was training at Multnomah aikikai this summer,

but couldn't really make heads or tails of it,

there you go !!

The techniques for this testing are a bit cloudy,for example shomenuchi-yonkyo - I haven't figured that one out just yet.

We have tech's that are not strictly aikido,

but more streetlike , and since the techs for this testing are not all that clear,I guess

I'll "juice" it up a little with what I have learned by now.

Yours - Chr.B.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:28 AM   #6
Jay Vigilla
Sean, excellent point. I had forgotten that the names do vary. I guess that really complicates assisting with the naming via the internet, not to mention not being able to see the techniques claerly by our typed descriptions, but it is great to know that there are people out there that love to try.

Also a good point about the kokyunage. The distinction I had learned from my sensei (not saying any one definition is any better, but this is what has kept me from wondering) is that if you do a type of joint lock as you would in tenben, then it is not a kokyu.

Christian, for me I had learned that nikkyo, sankyo, yonkyo, and gokyu are all there as long as you can get to ikkyo. The hardest part I have found in learning yonkyo is consistantly locating the nerve. But that is the fun of training with different people each time, isn't it? You always find something new and always feel something different about the training.
Old 02-28-2003, 02:22 AM   #7
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Hi Christian!

Why didn't you bring it up yesterday in the dojo ? I think I could have helped you a little - at least with the 'yokomenuchi - yonkyo'. I've been pondering that one too, since I might go for the 2. kyu same day.

With regards to the choking technique and the roukkyu they are in my opinion both outside the curriculum for this grading.

Have you found an uke yet ?

Peter and Trine are going for 2. kyu as well, so I guess I might as well try to tag along, though I have been concidering skipping the test this time

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 02-28-2003, 06:12 AM   #8
ChristianBoddum

Hi Jorgen !

Basic stupidity I guess !

I can see how you can do somenuchi yonkyo ura

when in position to ikkyo,but doing it omote I can only see it as a takedown with a yonkyo pressure,maybe that will be accepted.

As for uke I've chosen Anders Arndt though he doesn't have much time for preparation,

I think his ukemi (attack) is quite good , I hope I'll allign the height differences well enough - technically speaking.

Keep the inputs coming and a nice day to you all.

yours - Chr.B.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:53 AM   #9
Aikilove
Dojo: Lunds Aikidoklubb
Sweden
Yonkyo? ehum... Yonkyo omote - 1. Ikkyo omote (whatever the attack might be). 2. You don't go all the way down, just untill ukes balance is broken forward and uke has one hand down. 3. Your hand on ukes elbow slides down and grip together with your other hand as if holding a sword. 4. Cut the 'sword' down, and pin ukes shoulder still holding the sword.

Yonkyo ura - 1. Ikkyo ura. 2-4 as yonkyo omote.

Yes.. yes.. there is much more to it than that, the indexfinger inside base nuckle use, the balance breaking, ashi sabaki, te sabaki etc. but hey, that's what training is for!

Jakob Blomquist