Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #101
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Aikido attacks.

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
You want to? Why should I ''want to?'

G.
I'm guessing because he wants to learn first-hand what you're talking about and you like to teach. You both want to teach what you know; maybe a better question is why "wouldn't" you want to get together and compare notes?
In the spirit of "togetherness" () I would love to see you two get together, if for no other reason than to show how two apparently different ends of the spectrum (per the written medium, at least) can find commonality in training. I'd like to know your take on his way of moving as well as his on yours.
To be clear, I'm not interested in right or wrong here. I'm of the school of thought that all opinions hold validity, so even if you two came away with different opinions on the nature of "aiki," it would be valuable to the many many comments you've both had on the various topics related to aiki.
You both strike me as magnanimous people. Put that to the task and let aikiweb reap the rewards. You can always still agree to disagree.
Sincerely,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 02-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #102
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States

Quote:
I can see many reasons why you wouldn't want to. Not that Dan would hurt you. You'd just see that your "stuff" would have no effect on him and his "stuff" would move you easily and at will.

If I were seriously deluded about my abilities, I wouldn't want to meet Dan, either.

Sadly.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 02-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #103
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post
My point is that it takes more than just saying that what you do is all those things to make it so. The practice has to change accordingly and the ways that it changes are things that you have clearly said aren't a part of your practice.
Have I? Enlighten me if you would.

Regards.G.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #104
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
I'm guessing because he wants to learn first-hand what you're talking about and you like to teach. You both want to teach what you know; maybe a better question is why "wouldn't" you want to get together and compare notes?
In the spirit of "togetherness" () I would love to see you two get together, if for no other reason than to show how two apparently different ends of the spectrum (per the written medium, at least) can find commonality in training. I'd like to know your take on his way of moving as well as his on yours.
To be clear, I'm not interested in right or wrong here. I'm of the school of thought that all opinions hold validity, so even if you two came away with different opinions on the nature of "aiki," it would be valuable to the many many comments you've both had on the various topics related to aiki.
You both strike me as magnanimous people. Put that to the task and let aikiweb reap the rewards. You can always still agree to disagree.
Sincerely,
Matt
Ahh, music. A post I can understand and relate to. Thank you Matthew. I have to go training now but this is worthy of considered response.

I will so do.

Regards.G.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #105
chillzATL
United_States

Quote:
Have I? Enlighten me if you would.

Regards.G.
No, I'm not going to let you waste my time any more than you have already. You've been clear in what your practice is and is not many times before. In regards to what I was referencing, you said it in this very thread. If you don't remember what you've said or you don't care to be honest enough to own up to it, I'm certainly not going to waste my time hunting it down for you.

For someone who portrays himself as a non-aggressive, peace loving, spiritual guy, you are one of the most passive-aggressive personalities that I've encountered.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #106
chillzATL
United_States

Quote:
Ah, one of my old students. Well found.

G.
This Danny Dacosta was a student of yours?

http://www.shinjido.com/bio.html
Old 02-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #107
Janet Rosen

Quote:
This Danny Dacosta was a student of yours?

http://www.shinjido.com/bio.html
"My Aikido journey would have finished after 4 years training with a local group in Torbay. Thinking back it is surprising that I stayed with them so long. I knew that none of the instructors could impose their will on me unless I went along with them."

Last edited by Janet Rosen : 02-08-2012 at 03:03 PM. Reason: formatting

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 02-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #108
Gerardo Torres
United_States

Quote:
No, I'm not going to let you waste my time any more than you have already. You've been clear in what your practice is and is not many times before. In regards to what I was referencing, you said it in this very thread. If you don't remember what you've said or you don't care to be honest enough to own up to it, I'm certainly not going to waste my time hunting it down for you.

For someone who portrays himself as a non-aggressive, peace loving, spiritual guy, you are one of the most passive-aggressive personalities that I've encountered.
Hey, welcome to Humpty Dumpty's Playground errr I mean Aikiweb!
Old 02-09-2012, 04:31 AM   #109
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:

G.
Hi Graham,
Without getting into any debate about whether you /Dan or anyone is a good Ip/Aikidoka, here is my take on this. Dan has offered meet you, take you out for a meal .He ,I assume. has no hidden agenda. I do not believe he is out to prove anything. It seems to me Dan is being sociable.Whats the problem?Maybe both of you would gain from the encounter?If nothing else Dans visit to you would not cost you anything in monetary terms.Cheers,Joe.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #110
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Hi Graham,
Without getting into any debate about whether you /Dan or anyone is a good Ip/Aikidoka, here is my take on this. Dan has offered meet you, take you out for a meal .He ,I assume. has no hidden agenda. I do not believe he is out to prove anything. It seems to me Dan is being sociable.Whats the problem?Maybe both of you would gain from the encounter?If nothing else Dans visit to you would not cost you anything in monetary terms.Cheers,Joe.
I know it's not really my business, but...

Whatever Graham or Dan do - why not provide Dan your practice location and times if he wants to pay a visit if he's up Newcastle way?
If I had a dojo and he was passing through my community I'd happily welcome a visit (no matter how rusty I am)...
Purpose - gnaw on some raw fish and rice, exchange ideas about training... not necessarily in that order.
Britain's only a small country - you can get pretty much anywere in a few hours on a train. Going from Toronto to Vancouver (say) is four hours or so at 36,000 feet, or 3 days on the train.

Cheers,
W
Old 02-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #111
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

London to Newcastle, hardly a stroll up the lane, and doubly horrible with our public transport system.
Just saying, not something I'd want to do on a whim.
Of course, let me know when Dan's visiting Newcastle, and don't get off anywhere near Manchester.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #112
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
Michael Douglas wrote: View Post
London to Newcastle, hardly a stroll up the lane, and doubly horrible with our public transport system.
Just saying, not something I'd want to do on a whim.
Of course, let me know when Dan's visiting Newcastle, and don't get off anywhere near Manchester.
Ok, this is OT...
Maybe.. But.. when my dad turned up his toes in Edinburgh, the rellys shipped his belongings back to Toronto - after all, it didn't look that far on the globe (from Winnipeg). They said "you can drive there on a Sunday and pick it up".. Yeah, right - 1,500 MILES...each way..

Nothing's far away in the UK. According to Google Earth Directions it's only about 5 hours drive from London to Jordieville
It might take some doing to get from A to B, but it's not far away. (I'll be driving from Calgary to just outside of Cambridge ON next month - If I get good road conditions and no storms, it should only take 3 or 4 DAYS...)

Cheers,
W

Last edited by Walter Martindale : 02-09-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #113
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States

Quote:
Michael Douglas wrote: View Post
You Brits are so cute, complaining about your horrible public transportation system.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #114
Stephen Nichol
Dojo: Aikilife, Canberra
Australia

I have been curious to learn what Dan has to show and offer for awhile now. To see how much of it I already understand even though I may not be able to produce tangible results myself while training (yet) and if possible get some direction as to how to achieve those results.

I am going to go out on a limb here and figure that #1. Enticing Dan to come all the way down to Australia to pay our little dojo a visit to watch, listen and learn by actually getting to 'feel' it is not going to happen any time soon.

#2. Seeing as how he is almost going out of his way to offer Graham a visit and to even buy dinner afterwards I am honestly shocked at Graham not taking him up on this offer.

So now my plan is change my 'way' and try to write posts more along the lines of Graham, study his 'path' and see if maybe that will bring Dan my way... just maybe.

Ok, most likely I will have to buy dinner but thats cool too.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #115
Gerardo Torres
United_States

Quote:
Hugh Beyer wrote: View Post
You Brits are so cute, complaining about your horrible public transportation system.
Heh, no kidding. The public transportation where I live can be useful... as long as you have no concern for time whatsoever. Couple that with some of the worst traffic in the US. Oh well, at least we have our weather.

My aikido class is 1 hour by car. My weekly weapons training is 2 hours by car. For seminars I often drive 7 hours to Southern California (or 8 hours North to Oregon). I struggle to understand why would any alleged Budo follower avoid a well-regarded Budo teacher who wants to come to their area to train with them and buy them dinner!
Old 02-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #116
gates

Quote:
Stephen Nichol wrote: View Post
I have been curious to learn what Dan has to show and offer for awhile now. To see how much of it I already understand even though I may not be able to produce tangible results myself while training (yet) and if possible get some direction as to how to achieve those results.

I am going to go out on a limb here and figure that #1. Enticing Dan to come all the way down to Australia to pay our little dojo a visit to watch, listen and learn by actually getting to 'feel' it is not going to happen any time soon.

#2. Seeing as how he is almost going out of his way to offer Graham a visit and to even buy dinner afterwards I am honestly shocked at Graham not taking him up on this offer.

So now my plan is change my 'way' and try to write posts more along the lines of Graham, study his 'path' and see if maybe that will bring Dan my way... just maybe.

+1

Last edited by gates : 02-09-2012 at 10:48 PM.

Enjoy the journey
Old 02-10-2012, 02:21 AM   #117
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Walter Martindale wrote: View Post
I know it's not really my business, but...

Whatever Graham or Dan do - why not provide Dan your practice location and times if he wants to pay a visit if he's up Newcastle way?
If I had a dojo and he was passing through my community I'd happily welcome a visit (no matter how rusty I am)...
Purpose - gnaw on some raw fish and rice, exchange ideas about training... not necessarily in that order.
Britain's only a small country - you can get pretty much anywere in a few hours on a train. Going from Toronto to Vancouver (say) is four hours or so at 36,000 feet, or 3 days on the train.

Cheers,
W
Dear Walter,
You must be a good tennis player,You have quietly bounced the ball/shifted the emphasis away from Graham /Dan and hit the ball into my court.Nice one. i have no problem meeting Dan or anyone else for that matter.
Incidentally I do not hide behind philosophical /political barriers. I have never avoided anybody in my martial arts quest.Just in case you think I am Superman, I have been turned over many times.So if Dan happened to show up in Newcastle upon Tyne I would buy him a beer, have a meal and I am sure we would have a good time.Same applies to you if your in my neighborhood you call me.If I land in your backyard I will look you up.Maybe we would end up duelling with feather dusters at fifty paces?
Have a nice day, Joe.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:52 AM   #118
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
.Maybe we would end up duelling with feather dusters at fifty paces?
Have a nice day, Joe.
Now there's a contest that would need to be up on youtube! We could all decide who (if any) has the real cleaning ki

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:19 AM   #119
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Quote:
Stephen Nichol wrote: View Post

That's a really good idea. Maybe if all the Aussies on here really antagonize Dan, he will come and visit us, AND buy us all dinner!
Old 02-10-2012, 06:06 AM   #120
gates

Quote:
Robin Boyd wrote: View Post
That's a really good idea. Maybe if all the Aussies on here really antagonize Dan, he will come and visit us, AND buy us all dinner!
I doubt Dan would want to come to Aus, it would be too hot. I don't think IP skills work very well in the heat. Plus all the fresh fish, pristine beaches, amazing wildlife, great people wouldn't be up his alley.

Enjoy the journey
Old 02-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #121
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote: View Post
Now there's a contest that would need to be up on youtube! We could all decide who (if any) has the real cleaning ki
Ribbons!
Oh wait, that's an Olympic "sport"...

Just watched IP Man for the first time. (yes, I know it's only a movie)

I love going to other dojo to practice - not with any thought toward challenging anyone. The purpose for me (I don't know about others) is to get a workout and learn from others.

I know I'm slow, heavy, and too old and out of shape to present anyone with a "challenge"... If I ever do get to "the old country" as my parents called it, I'll make it to as many aikiweb dojo as I can.

Cheers,
W
Old 02-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #122
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
Dear Walter,
You must be a good tennis player,You have quietly bounced the ball/shifted the emphasis away from Graham /Dan and hit the ball into my court.Nice one. i have no problem meeting Dan or anyone else for that matter.
Incidentally I do not hide behind philosophical /political barriers. I have never avoided anybody in my martial arts quest.Just in case you think I am Superman, I have been turned over many times.So if Dan happened to show up in Newcastle upon Tyne I would buy him a beer, have a meal and I am sure we would have a good time.Same applies to you if your in my neighborhood you call me.If I land in your backyard I will look you up.Maybe we would end up duelling with feather dusters at fifty paces?
Have a nice day, Joe.
Does badminton count? Played that for a few years when I was in high school Isn't that deflection/redirecting stuff what aikido folks are s'posta do?
Must find (or found) a dojo - really missing training.
Cheers,
W
Old 02-12-2012, 08:27 AM   #123
SteveTrinkle
Dojo: Aikido Kenkyukai International
United_States

Quote:
Keith Gates wrote: View Post
I doubt Dan would want to come to Aus, it would be too hot. I don't think IP skills work very well in the heat. Plus all the fresh fish, pristine beaches, amazing wildlife, great people wouldn't be up his alley.
I think all the spirals go the other way in Australia.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #124
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Stephen Trinkle wrote: View Post
I think all the spirals go the other way in Australia.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 02-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #125
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Quote:
Ah, one of my old students. Well found.

G.
Graham:

Sensei Danny Da Costa has e-mailed myself and several other people. He has stated that he does not remember ever meeting you and that you were never one of his teachers. Would you be kind enough to explain this apparent discrepancy to us.

Marc Abrams