Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-21-2005, 09:12 AM   #1
dj_swim
United_States
ASU kyu test/general technique question

Okay, so immediately after I clicked on "New thread" I totally spaced the name of the technique I was going to ask about... hopefully someone will be able to follow me through this...

On the 6th kyu test for ASU, there is a technique and I have no idea what it is... it's like "kokyu tanden ho" or something like that.

I tried to break it down and translate it using the glossary in the back of the book, but that just made it sound like a breath exercise.

It's not a "...kyo" technique, so I'm guessing this is some sort of throw?

Can anyone tell me what this is, and ideally direct me to a photo or video clip of it? Thanks!

-Doug
Old 11-21-2005, 09:42 AM   #2
bhutchy23
Dojo: Central Illinois Aikikai
United_States
Re: ASU kyu test/general technique question

It's a technique done from seiza, and probably the only one you know if you are just starting out. While both sitting seiza uke grabs both your wrists. You then extend and toss him to one side. I don't know of any video clips of the technique. The community in general seems, in my opinion, to regard this as more of an exercise than a true technique.
Kokyu is breath. The technique is much like a breath throw (kokyunage) in that there is no grabbing other than the attack. I don't really know what "tanden ho" means.
I hope that helps.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:55 AM   #3
6th Kyu For Life
Dojo: Oberlin Aikikai, Oberlin Ohio. Utah Aikikai, Salt Lake City, Utah.
United_States

Actually, this is a suwari waza type technique, or maybe "excercise" is a better way to put it. The name of the technique breaks down like this: kokyu: breath/breathing action (the definition of "kokyu" is almost as nuanced in aikido as "ki" but, breath or breathing is the most succinct definition, I think) tanden: your center, synonymous with "hara" ho: means either "direction" or "method," but I'm not sure which character is used here.
Basically, two people sit in seiza facing each other, uke grabs both your wrists, you do some stuff, uke falls over. Of course the "you do some stuff" part is the hard part to describe, and there are multiple variations, so you'd better ask someone to show you. At our dojo (also ASU), we usually do this at the end of class as a sort of cool down excercise, but the principles involved are generally said to be pretty fundamental to Aikido.
Hope that helps.

Peace,
Tom Newhall
Old 11-21-2005, 02:35 PM   #4
Simbo
United_States

Ahhh, that's where I've been messing up, the "you do some stuff" step *slaps forehead* It makes so much sense now. Everything makes sense now. People are going to have to call me O'Steve because of my new found insight.
(I'm going to have to use that "you do some stuff" step in the future, priceless )
Old 11-21-2005, 04:39 PM   #5
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

It is also the technique known in many dojos as "Kokyu dosa". Hope this helps.

In gassho.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:40 PM   #6
dj_swim
United_States

Alright, I know exactly what you're talking about... yeah, I didn't realize it was a technique, I thought it was just an exercise.

I'm horrible at this... btw... don't know if anyone else caught on real quick when they started, but I'm super bad at it.... oh well... if I just practice "doing stuff" I should be fine

Thanks all!

-Doug
Old 11-21-2005, 10:31 PM   #7
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

My observation is that the people who catch on real quick usually don't stay past six months; it's the struggling plodders who are still around after several years. So don't let that bother you.

We have this technique (we call it kokyu dosa) on *all* of our tests, the only technique that's on every test. My teachers give several reasons, but privately I think that it's because uke's ability to resist increases faster than nage's ability to throw, so it's one of the few techniques that get harder and harder as you gain experience, rather than easier!

I got to see my head instructor try kokyu dosa with a seventh dan uke. It's the only time I have ever seen her completely baffled. The guy seemed to have turned into a boulder.

Mary Kaye
Old 11-21-2005, 10:40 PM   #8
dj_swim
United_States

Ironically, we did this today in our training. I actually did alright, I'm not sure what it's called standing up, but we did some of that too... the only problem was that I kept wanting to spin uke around first (it's easier to absorb the energy of the attack, in my opinion), but that wasn't what we were practicing

Sensei: "It's not wrong, it's just different..."

So diplomatic...

-Doug
Old 11-22-2005, 04:52 AM   #9
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States

LOL, Doug. Yeah, my sensei says, "It's not wrong, it's just not what we're doing..."

We do kokyu dosa/kokyu ho at the end of pretty much every class. From standing, it's kokyunage at my dojo, but easier to explain to newbies as "the same as kokyu dosa, only standing." The standing one can be way fun, once you can breakfall out of it.

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda