Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-12-2006, 09:04 AM   #1
hgc31976
United_States
Re: Aikido3D

Can any I recommend any good software, books, or videos for beginners??? I just pass my 6th kyu and i want to work on my basics I practice Kokikai-Ryu Aikido
Old 01-12-2006, 09:53 AM   #2
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall
Re: Books/Videos for Beginners

An ultimate book to look for is: Aikido The Way of Harmony, by John Stevens. That was the first book i started with, more than 20 years ago, and it gave me a true foundation.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:02 PM   #3
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Re: Aikido3D

Quote:
Harry Carrington wrote:
Can any I recommend any good software, books, or videos for beginners??? I just pass my 6th kyu and i want to work on my basics I practice Kokikai-Ryu Aikido
Conventional wisdom: Styles differ, ask your teacher. Good luck.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 01-13-2006, 08:03 AM   #4
crbateman

Asking your instructor is good advice (thanks, Don). That said, you might also look at a few books on the library or bookstore shelves to see what might seem familiar to your style. Books are really not the way to learn techniques (particularly since naming conventions vary widely) but they are a good way to get in touch with the thinking and history of Aikido and some of its more influential players, as well as getting to know the differences and similarities between styles (which maybe you should wait a while before attempting). Good books, balanced in content and objectivity, include those by Stanley Pranin, John Stevens, Phong Thong Dang and Mitsugi Saotome. Although sometimes a little more style-specific, it's also a good idea to read what you can by Morihiro Saito, Gozo Shioda, Koichi Tohei, Gaku Homma and any of the Ueshiba family. Have fun, but don't sacrifice mat time for your reading.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:26 AM   #5
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote:
Have fun, but don't sacrifice mat time for your reading.
The best advice so far!

In the early days, books that deal with the history and philosophy of aikido are probably best. Reading Aikido in Daily Life by Koichi Tohei started me on my aikido journey, but I think " The Spirit of Aikido" by K Ueshiba was a great little book for giving a really good overall picture.

Good luck

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:15 AM   #6
Mark Uttech

'The Spirit of Aikido" taught me one great thing: "Don't buddy up to sensei."
Old 01-21-2006, 07:40 AM   #7
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote:
'The Spirit of Aikido" taught me one great thing: "Don't buddy up to sensei."
Hi Mark, I'm not really sure what that means, could you expand a little, thanks.

Mark

Old 01-21-2006, 08:40 AM   #8
Mark Uttech

I guess what I meant to say, is that reading the book "The Spirit of Aikido" , I distinctly remember reading a passage that advised: "don't buddy up to sensei." And so I never did. I never knew much at all about my sensei's personal life, I looked to them to simply teach me aikido. I think the arrangement worked very well. Even after 20+ years, our relationship is very cordial. Whenever we see one another, we bow. Sometimes we make small talk, sometimes we don't say anything.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:16 AM   #9
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote:
I guess what I meant to say, is that reading the book "The Spirit of Aikido" , I distinctly remember reading a passage that advised: "don't buddy up to sensei." And so I never did. I never knew much at all about my sensei's personal life, I looked to them to simply teach me aikido. I think the arrangement worked very well. Even after 20+ years, our relationship is very cordial. Whenever we see one another, we bow. Sometimes we make small talk, sometimes we don't say anything.
Thanks for the clarification Mark. The student teacher relationship in aikido is / can be a 'special' relationship in it's own right, so the advice is good. I have seen some pretty messy stuff going on when relationships get in the way of practice ( possibly the subject of a new thread?? I'm sure it must have been discussed before).

Anyway, cheers,

Mark