Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
dps

Iron Shirt

Does anyone practice this?

Iron shirt
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Iron Shirt (traditional Chinese: 鐵衫; simplified Chinese: 铁衫; pinyin: tiě shān; Cantonese: tit1 saam3) is a form of hard style martial art exercise for protecting the human body from impacts in a fight."

Example;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hdqt...eature=channel

David

Go ahead, tread on me.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
Hebrew Hammer

Dojo: Lava Fitness (The Boxing Club)
United_States
Re: Iron Shirt

Try this guy, he regularly posts in Kung Fu Magazine Forums...and you should be able to find some threads there.

http://www.bostonbaguazhang.com/

Stay Cut,

The Hebrew Hammer

Old 10-08-2009, 01:45 AM   #3
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Kevin Hagens wrote: View Post
Try this guy, he regularly posts in Kung Fu Magazine Forums...and you should be able to find some threads there.

http://www.bostonbaguazhang.com/
Heh. I wouldn't use that particular example, personally. Mike Patterson, who has been known to post on AikiWeb, would be a better source, IMO.

"Iron Shirt" is simply an offshoot of (and inextricably intertwined with) the ki/kokyu/qi/jin skills, when practiced correctly. For instance, someone practicing their Xingyi skills *correctly* will wind up with an iron-shirt without specifically training in "iron shirt".

FWIW

Mike Sigman

Old 10-08-2009, 10:32 AM   #4
Toby Threadgill
United_States

Hi

Oh my god. I saw the name John Painter on the Boston Baguazhang website.

Run.....Away.

I actually witnessed this guy doing a demo in Dallas over a decade ago. He was wearing a blindfold and claimed to be able to follow a person around the room by only feeling their qi.....Afterwards I surreptitiously inspected the blindfold. It was a magicians blindfold ....LOL

Toby Threadgill / TSYR

Old 10-08-2009, 10:59 AM   #5
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Toby Threadgill wrote: View Post
Hi

Oh my god. I saw the name John Painter on the Boston Baguazhang website.

Run.....Away.

I actually witnessed this guy doing a demo in Dallas over a decade ago. He was wearing a blindfold and claimed to be able to follow a person around the room by only feeling their qi.....Afterwards I surreptitiously inspected the blindfold. It was a magicians blindfold ....LOL

Toby Threadgill / TSYR
I don't mind if someone gets taken in by a Bogus bs artist... however, I Have little sympathy when someone is taken in by a guy who has "I am bogus" tatooed across his forehead.

Mike

Old 10-08-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
Dale Dugas
Dojo: Miyako Aikikai, Miyako Shi Iwate Ken Japan
United_States

Hello from Boston,

Thanks for the referral.

Iron Shirt or Iron Vest trains the fascia of the body in order to thicken it and strengthen it.

Combined with learning to become sung and filling with energy and breath you can create a drum like effect that causes people to be rebounded off you.

It is not magic, its internal conditioning that helps deal with external forces.

Baguazhang trains this along with Xingyiquan with all the twisting and turning actions you see.

I have an open door and welcome anyone to come test me out. I learned from Gene Chicoine as well as others before I met my current teacher Dr. John Painter.

Seems we have people here who like so many others these days, would rather snipe at people from across the keyboard rather than step up like men and say these things face to face.

Sad to see such cowardice accepted as the true actions of men.

Last edited by Dale Dugas : 10-08-2009 at 01:19 PM.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Dale Dugas wrote: View Post
Hello from Boston,

Thanks for the referral.

Iron Shirt or Iron Vest trains the fascia of the body in order to thicken it and strengthen it.

Combined with learning to become sung and filling with energy and breath you can create a drum like effect that causes people to be rebounded off you.

It is not magic, its internal conditioning that helps deal with external forces.

Baguazhang trains this along with Xingyiquan with all the twisting and turning actions you see.

I have an open door and welcome anyone to come test me out. I learned from Gene Chicoine as well as others before I met my current teacher Dr. John Painter.

Seems we have people here who like so many others these days, would rather snipe at people from across the keyboard rather than step up like men and say these things face to face.

Sad to see such cowardice accepted as the true actions of men.

Oh stoppit. No one said anything about Chicoine. And I've met both Gene and Painter, BTW. If you have something technical to say about iron shirt, other than the vague, please contribute it.

Mike Sigman

Old 10-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #8
akiy

I'm going to snip this discussion in the bud, as I can't see it going anywhere productive.

Thread closed.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!

Closed Thread