Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-08-2000, 02:05 AM   #1
shadow
Dojo: Aiki Kun Ren (Iwama style)
Well I'm sure this topic has been broached before but for the sake of someone not only new to this forum but also new to aikido I'd like to ask again.
I have recently started aikido, I'm in my fifth week of training now and really enjoying it.
My question is about the different styles....where I have started training it is iwama stlye aikido. I am just asking about what is the difference in stlyes and wether if you hold a grade in one...say 4th kyu, will it count again in the others? For example I am going to travel overseas soon (I am in australia) I am travelling to japan and I would not like to stop aikido for the period of time that I am away, so if I start at a dojo that practices a different style will I have to start again? is there much difference?

Thanks to anyone who helps me with this query

-damien
Old 08-08-2000, 02:25 AM   #2
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Well.... erhhh.. yes! .... and.... erhhh No ?

Hi' Damien!

Since I'm also a kind of a newbee in Aikido (aren't we all ?) I might not be the most qualified to answer but I'm vain enough to think I might be of a little help to you.

From what I have read and found out by talking to people from my style and other styles can be put as simple as this: The better you get, the less you will notice difference between the styles.

In you case I think you should do your best to find a dojo that match your needs and pay less attention to style and grading. You might find a bad dojo in your style where you will learn very little and feel bad about training - and you might find a dojo in another style where you will learn a lot and make great friends.

If you want to study the different styles a little more you might like to take a look at this page: http://www.aikidofaq.com/guide/index.html and go from there.

If I can do anything else to help you - please don't hesitate to ask. BTW:

Best of luck

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 08-08-2000, 05:57 AM   #3
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Do symbol

Quote:
shadow wrote:
Well I'm sure this topic has been broached before but for the sake of someone not only new to this forum but also new to aikido I'd like to ask again.
I have recently started aikido, I'm in my fifth week of training now and really enjoying it.
My question is about the different styles....where I have started training it is iwama stlye aikido. I am just asking about what is the difference in stlyes and wether if you hold a grade in one...say 4th kyu, will it count again in the others? For example I am going to travel overseas soon (I am in australia) I am travelling to japan and I would not like to stop aikido for the period of time that I am away, so if I start at a dojo that practices a different style will I have to start again? is there much difference?

Thanks to anyone who helps me with this query

-damien
Welcome to Aikido.

My take is that:
1. Go where your responsibilities take you.
2. Once there, study in the dojo where you can learn the most.
3. Let the rules of rank and other crap sort themselves out.

Greg - studies Iwama style Aikido in the wilds of Alabama.

Greg Jennings
Old 08-08-2000, 06:40 AM   #4
chillzATL
United_States
well, if your dojo is recognized by hombu, your rank will be recognized there as well. It's always best, IMO, to just take a white belt with you and train with that. You will learn new things regardless of what belt you wear to class. While some dojo may not recognize your rank, very few if any will refuse you the opportunity to train with them. Enjoy the experience.
Old 08-08-2000, 09:02 AM   #5
BC
Ki Symbol

In regards to your desire to train in Japan, I thought I would just offer up some information, since it came up last week in our Summer Camp. During a discussion about traveling to other dojos to train, and particularly Japan and Hombu Dojo, a number of our senior instructors from our organization stressed the importance of having your instructor or sempai either make contact for you ahead of time at the foreign dojo or write a letter of recommendation for you to train there. The reason for this was that one of the senior instructors mentioned how one of his students traveled to Tokyo and showed up at Hombu Dojo unannounced without such a letter or communication, and was turned down when he requested to attend classes there. Additionally, you might find people at the foreign dojo to be much more hospitable to you if you do have some form of introduction established beforehand. Lastly, you might also be able to get a class schedule to confirm when classes might or might not be held. Just a couple weeks ago, a student from out of town showed up at our dojo to attend a class only to be told that our normally scheduled class that night had been cancelled for a special beginners' session (this information had unfortunately not been posted on our website yet). Best of luck!

-BC
Old 08-08-2000, 08:45 PM   #6
shadow
Dojo: Aiki Kun Ren (Iwama style)
well thank you all for your help. I was just wondering for futures sake. I am training at a very friendly dojo with great people and a good instructor, grades do not bother me much I just enjoy training and also I like the amount of emphasis placed on ukemi, which can be useful in many other situations especially my skateboarding and snowboarding. hehe
Although there is my first grading coming up in a couple of months, my sensai isn't sure wether I will have been attending for long enough even though I am learning very quickly. I was given a grading sheet....all the names of the movements are in Japanese and I don't know yet which is which. Maybe it's about time I get a book?
Anyways thanks again

damien
Old 08-09-2000, 02:34 AM   #7
Pete
"Pete"
IP Hash: 22791998
Dojo: Shinwakai Aikibudo
Anonymous User
Slightly OT but hey!!

I found writing the fundamentals down as I learnt them helped me to a) remember the movements, and b) learn the Japanese terms much easier!!

Just an idea............

Pete

Old 08-09-2000, 10:45 AM   #8
Nick
United_States
yes, it's much easier to say "Shomenuchi kyokunage hantai tenkan" than "Top of head strike where u throw them in a circular motion."

-Nick
Old 08-09-2000, 08:18 PM   #9
samurai_x
Dojo: Musubi
Ki Symbol

Hope this will enlighten u in some way.As i have experienced there r some AIKIDO styles that r very particular when it comes to the ranks.Example:
1.Some styles do not allow students from other affiliations to train in their Dojo.
2.Some allow u to train but u have to go back to white belt.
3.There r also others who let u train regardless of sytles and ranks.
4.There was also this Dojo where in they allow u to train but u have to go down one kyu from ur current rank.
I'm from a KI AIKIDO Style in our Dojo we welcome every AIKIDOKA regardless of AFFILIATION , STYLE and RANK.But there r also some KI AIKIDO Dojo's that don't.
So, i think it's also the Sensei's decission whether to welcome them or not. But for me to PROMOTE,and the ADVENCEMENT or PROPAGATION of AIKIDO why not WELCOME ALL.

SCOUT "TUOCS" TUMULAK
Head Instructor-TIMEX DOJO, PHILIPPINES
Instructor-MUSUBI DOJO,PHILIPPINES
KI AIKIDO

Old 08-11-2000, 07:55 PM   #10
chrisinbrasil
Dojo: Lenwakan
Hi shadow,
I must humbly state my opinion. I too will be moving to Japan soon and have informed myself as well as possible with former students from there. I was told by the great majority that Hombu Dojo isn't quite as mystical as it is made out to be. You show up, pay, train like a madman, and go home. The idea of going with a white belt is always good. I'm inclined to believe that the situation described by our friend BC is an acception to the norm. Oh, and a practical Japanese language course might be helpful too, I've found it to be for myself anyway.
At your service,
Christopher