Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-06-2000, 04:26 PM   #1
Lisa
Dojo: Aiki Budo Centre
Talking

Hello everyone..

kinda new to the forum, but been training in aikido for over 1 year, i am now 6th kyu, and looking forward to more. I have been traing hard for the past few months especialy. on average i train about 8 hrs a week, 2 of those are helping in the childrens class, which i find most rewarding. my 11 yo and 7 yo also train (2hrs). I was just wondering what is the average everyone else trains..and if there is such a thing as overload..not likely, but ya never know. Included in the 8hrs is 1 hr of weapons..personal Fav.
I am activly wanting higher ranking, which is why i say yes to keeping ranks, and i feel its a motivator for ppl, to get different colors, i am SOOO motivated to getting my dan (s). but i train hard..and do my best, i find going to beginer classes to be most benificial in perfecting my technic..
(perhaps a spelling class would help also,lol)
thoughts anyone?? (not on spelling)

Lisa
Old 09-06-2000, 04:35 PM   #2
Shipley
Dojo: UBC Okanagan Aikido Club
Canada
Take a peek in the polls, one of the early ones was how many days a week do you train. Most people train 2 hours when they go (at least in my experience) so you can multiply it out.

2 to 4 days would be my guess though.

Paul
Old 09-06-2000, 04:58 PM   #3
Nick
United_States
As I like to say (and do, so so often):

Train maybe 2 or 3 days a week, an hour and a half or 2 hours at a time. Use what you learned there 24/7.

Ja,

-Nick
Old 09-08-2000, 01:44 AM   #4
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Hi Lisa!

When I first took up Aikido I simply overdid it. I practiced every week-day and two or three days a week both morning and evening practice (I was unemployed at the time). It was fun but my motivation was my desire to grade quickly and within a little less than half a year I lost my 'drive'. It was too much. I coulnd't process all the information I gathered and I found my self more and more confused. In the end I had to stop but now I'm back after a 3 year break and I have found a level of practice much better for me. Twice a week (1½ hours each) plus two or three weaponsclasses (1 hour each)

I don't know if my experience translates to everbody but for me there is definately such a thing as overdoing it.

Whatever you do - have fun!

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 09-08-2000, 02:13 AM   #5
Simone
Dojo: Augsburg/Haunstetten
Germany
Hi Lisa!

I agree with JJF, for me there is such thing like overdoing, too. If there are courses at university, I train 4 - 5 times a week between 1.5 and 3 hours each, 3 times otherwise. I would prefer 3 times a week. It's not because I'm not fit enough. It's because I can not process what I've learned when I train too often. My progress seems not to be related to the amount of training I do. Sometimes my teacher has to stop me from training (at the moment, I'm highly motivated to get my shodan). So 2 - 3 times would be very fine, I think, at least for peaple who are like me.

Hope that helps,

Simone