Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-29-2002, 10:12 PM   #1
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
Cool why not?

Since there was nothing here at this site:

An Aikidoka with years of training walks into a bar...so much for awareness.

Don't be shy; that shouldn't be hard to top...

~~Paula~~
Old 06-30-2002, 11:20 AM   #2
Katie Jennings
Cool Humor

Hi..
What should be in this section is that thing defining all the Dan grades...
Old 06-30-2002, 01:23 PM   #3
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Re: Humor

Quote:
Originally posted by Katie Jennings
Hi..
What should be in this section is that thing defining all the Dan grades...
I have long suggested that belt rankings be eliminated in favor of suspenders.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 07-01-2002, 01:11 AM   #4
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Quote:
I have long suggested that belt rankings be eliminated in favor of suspenders.

Sensei actually did this one time. The gentleman he did it to, for some reason, had a hard time keeping his pants up in class. On several occasions they had dropped off him. When sensei presented him with a pair of blue suspenders after testing...my sides hurt I was laughing so hard

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 07-01-2002, 12:53 PM   #5
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry
Suspenders are a completely different thing in the UK. Worrying!
Have fun.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 07-01-2002, 05:46 PM   #6
Paula Lydon
Talking

Real story:
In my second year of training I got up to take ukemi during a sho-dan test, and after a polite 4 or 5 techniques Sensei asked for another uke. As I was exiting stage right (backwards, of course) I tripped on my hakama, exicuted a beautiful, graceful backward roll and landed in the senior student's lap. Everyone snickered but for him...ooooo, I think his continued neutral face was worse than a scowl. Oh well, whatareya gonna do?

~~Paula~~
Old 07-02-2002, 02:50 AM   #7
Bronson

cool, aiki-humor!

During a demo one time sensei did a technique and his uke said OH SH*T rather loudly. Later someone asked him what he'd said and without skipping a beat responded "It was japanese"

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 07-02-2002, 07:16 PM   #8
Paula Lydon
Talking

Yeah, I've used that "It was Japanese" thing, too! Hey, don't you hate it when you're going through your, say, jo kata--you know, looking dynamic, proficient and oh so cool--when the darn thing flys through or out of your hands at the worst possible moment...like when Sensei happens to glance your way? You've just gotta laugh at the instant karma!

~~Paula~~
Old 07-02-2002, 11:44 PM   #9
Bronson

I remember one of the first times I was to lead the class in jo kata. I ended up cracking myself right on the little ankle bone...really hard. It served as a great tension breaker though. I was fine as soon as I could get up from the pain and the laughing at myself

Bronson

Old 07-03-2002, 04:28 AM   #10
gadsmf@aol.com
Dojo: Kokoro,Tucson
Eek!

I think humour should be an important part of any martial art, especially Akido which can be frustrating at times when you're relatively new to it.
My favourite incident was trying desperately hard not to laugh, along with my fellow students,when one of our senpai involoutarily passed gas rather loudly during koho tento.

DL Gadd
Old 07-03-2002, 06:54 AM   #11
Genex

Dojo: Warrington Seishin Kai
Agh the old anal gas defence make your apponents eyes water so they cant see what your doing, very effective...
i remember last week my friend who i just introduced to aikido was trying to hold it whilst we were doing iriminage...Change partners!
pete

like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. - The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on the Pan-galactic Gargleblaster!
Old 07-04-2002, 06:42 AM   #12
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
Real story:
I think my ukemi's coming along fairly well for someone with 2 months experience, but early last month I attended the Virginia Ki Society's Summer Camp seminar, taught by Sensei Clarence Chin.
Wonderful man.
We were practicing some sort of tenkan where uke winds up getting rolled at a rather high velocity from an extremely simple move.
Well; as I said, my ukemi's pretty good - for a beginner. Also, my work had left me with a rather limiting stitch in my back. You can guess what happened: When it was my turn as uke (we were working in lines), I ran at nage, reached for his hand and was thrown - and my ukemi went right out the window. I wound up doing a rather spectacular Superman imitation; accompanied by a surprisingly calm "Uh oh...." followed by a solid, meaty smack as 205 pounds of dimwit hit the mat at the previously mentioned high velocity.
Didn't actually hurt, but I had the inestimable sensation of 60 shodans laughing their little dark-blue-puffy-skirt-covered butts off at me.
Ah, well. At least by the time we left Virginia (lovely state, by the way), just about everyone there knew me - and that's the important thing. LOL!
Thanx!

Dave
Old 07-10-2002, 05:45 PM   #13
Kent Enfield

United_States
I was once at a seminar with Saotome sensei. He was explaining that though we should have one main teacher, so that we have a consistent approach to fall back on, we should train with as many different instructors, particularly uchi deshi of O-sensei, as possible. They all emphasize different aspects of his aikido. Saotome sensei concluded the lecture with "I am not O-sensei. Sometimes my wife, she says, 'Oh, sensei!' but that's different." Half the attendees burst into laughter. The other half just stared blankly.

Kentokuseisei
Old 07-30-2002, 08:09 AM   #14
Genex

Smile

last week we were doing "chin smaking"

basicaly bokken work we did a move similar to Shiho nage you brought the bokken to the neck, twisted and brought your partner to the floor if they didnt move they'd loose their head, anyway you have to keep the bokken right on their throat and a few ppl had problems doing this and your chin got a right wallaping, anyway for me and two friends it wasnt bad at all in fact we're the only ones without bruises wanna know why?

sensei put it best, we were padded, we're all metal fans and as a rule we generaly have rather impressive gotee's or beards and didnt really feal the bokken strikes against our chins, for some reason the whole class was envious

i wonder if O-sensei grew his beard to stop young aikidoka giving him bruises ?

pete

like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. - The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on the Pan-galactic Gargleblaster!
Old 08-07-2002, 11:50 PM   #15
aries admin
Dojo: Aikikai Philippines
True Story:

An office mate who started training in our dojo approached me and some question about the previous practice. This was office hours and he just passing by when he saw me in my work area. He took the opportunity to ask me some questions. During the course of a very short conversation, my boss sitting on the other table, called my name. Guess what I answered: YES SENSEI! Ooops sorry sir! That brought down the house. Everybody laughing.
Old 08-08-2002, 04:44 AM   #16
Joshua Livingston

Does anyone else have the problem of always responding Hai! to everyone?

It's especially funny when I use it at the Mexican resturaunt that our Dojo often frequents. I always get the best "What the hell?!?" looks.

Joshua Livingston
Aikido of Ashland (USAF)
Gold Coast Jujutsu
Capoeira Zambia Congo Group
Old 08-08-2002, 04:58 AM   #17
Genex

Smile

I've got to say i've not Used Hai that much out of the Dojo but when someones talking to me and i'm agreeing i look like a nodding dog

half bowing!!!

Oy what next?

i have answered Domo Arigato to someone at an italian resterant, what was worse was he was actualy japanese and spouted a load of words that i didnt understand i had to explain it was a habit from aikido training, he perfectly understood but you should have seen the looks from other ppl

pete

Old 08-08-2002, 10:21 AM   #18
Paula Lydon
Oh yes, hai domo to many people who then think I'm schizo and babbling to my secret friends. Also the bobb-n-bow like I've got a hitch in my back. I also chuckle to myself when I notice how I'm moving through a crowd...like rondori! Shifting, gliding forward, touching, subtling redirecting people, slipping right inside their aura and out again. Just another freak at the mall, that's me!

~~Paula~~
Old 08-08-2002, 12:25 PM   #19
Bronson

I've bowed to people at work while passing tools, pens, or whatever. I've also bowed when entering or leaving buildings or rooms. Lots of funny looks

Bronson

Old 08-08-2002, 02:09 PM   #20
IrimiTom
This is starting to look like a "you know you're an Aikidoka when...." thread...

how bout you think it's perfectly normal to twist your own wrists in 5 different ways while on the bus or somewhere like that and people start looking at you and then looking away....
Old 08-08-2002, 02:13 PM   #21
akiy

Quote:
Tom Grana (IrimiTom) wrote:
how bout you think it's perfectly normal to twist your own wrists in 5 different ways while on the bus or somewhere like that and people start looking at you and then looking away....
I think the real trick, though, is to do stretches that make other aikido people blanch...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 08-08-2002, 05:02 PM   #22
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States
During Aikido shinsa, shite is performing free-style goshin waza. Nothing pre-planned. Sensei chooses ukei. At one point, ukei strikes with an extremely hard shomen tsuki. Shite pivots to the inside and attempts an arm drag take down by catching ukei's right wrist with his left hand and cutting down on the right elbow with the right hand. Problem ... ukei started retracting the stike as quickly as he threw it and shite caught his sleeve and pulled. "RIIIIIP"

Off came the ukei's right sleeve. Slight pause .. grins ... Ukes frowns and strikes again. Shite responds by throwing the sleeve in ukei's face. Ukei responses by throwing it back. Sleeve went back and forth about 5 times before Sensei stopped them. The entire dojo was roaring. You had to be there.
Old 08-09-2002, 04:59 AM   #23
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Once I was approached by a young girl in Copenhagen (That's the Capitol of Denmark !! ). She was obviousely japanese and with a few phrases of hard-to-understand-english she made it obvious to me that she wanted me to take a picture of her in front of the city hall (beautiful building by the way). I nodded and took the camera, stepped back a bit, took 3 or 4 pictures and then returned the camera with a bow and a loud 'Dozo' (~here you are). She looked puzzled but quickly uttered something along the lines of 'Domo arrigato' (~thank you) to which I responded 'Doo itashimasute' (~you're welcome). Then she fully comprehended the odd chance of finding a Dane that could actually speak japanese and her eyes went very big and her chin dropped. What she did next I don't know, since I was walking away quickly before she would get the idear of further exploring my knowledge of japanese which is restricted to phrases like 'my name is...', 'how much is that' and 'what time is it'.

Last edited by JJF : 08-09-2002 at 05:03 AM.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 08-09-2002, 08:10 AM   #24
BC
Quote:
Paula Lydon wrote:
I also chuckle to myself when I notice how I'm moving through a crowd...like rondori! Shifting, gliding forward, touching, subtling redirecting people, slipping right inside their aura and out again. Just another freak at the mall, that's me!
Ha! I've been to Pearl St., and I doubt you'd stand out too much!

I was on an elevator once a few years ago, and was habitually rocking my head from side-to-side to crack my neck, when a nice elderly woman asked me "are you doing that because you're happy?" My response in between chuckles was "no, just stretching my neck." Still makes me laugh today...

Robert Cronin
Old 08-11-2002, 12:08 PM   #25
Paula Lydon
Jun--

Do tell! What were you referring to? It would take a lot to unnerve other martial artists, I would think. Got something special up your hakama?

~~Paula~~