Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-18-2005, 03:52 PM   #1
AikiWeb System
Article: Aiki Syntax, Part 2: Tori by Ross Robertson

Discuss the article, "Aiki Syntax, Part 2: Tori" by Ross Robertson here.

Article URL: http://www.aikiweb.com/columns/rrobertson/2005_11.html
Old 12-03-2005, 07:04 AM   #2
Paul Laxon
Dojo: Aikido London
Thumbs down Re: Article: Aiki Syntax, Part 2: Tori by Ross Robertson

Hi Ross,

Thanks for publishing this series of articles. Ever since I saw you demonstrate these ideas at the 2003 Aikido-L seminar in Toronto I've been wanting to ask you if you'd write a more detailed description of the concepts you had briefly talked about at that time. I was amazed at how, after talking for 10 or 15 minutes to someone who only had 3 or 4 months experience in aikido, that person was able to handle 2 attackers with relative ease.

The only other thing I'd really like you to explain is what exactly you tell the person you are preparing? How do you boil down all this information for them?

Thanks again for sharing your ideas.

Paul
Old 06-21-2006, 12:19 PM   #3
R.A. Robertson
Dojo: Still Point Aikido Center
Re: Article: Aiki Syntax, Part 2: Tori by Ross Robertson

Quote:
Paul Laxon wrote:
Hi Ross,

Thanks for publishing this series of articles. Ever since I saw you demonstrate these ideas at the 2003 Aikido-L seminar in Toronto I've been wanting to ask you if you'd write a more detailed description of the concepts you had briefly talked about at that time. I was amazed at how, after talking for 10 or 15 minutes to someone who only had 3 or 4 months experience in aikido, that person was able to handle 2 attackers with relative ease.

The only other thing I'd really like you to explain is what exactly you tell the person you are preparing? How do you boil down all this information for them?

Thanks again for sharing your ideas.

Paul
Hey Paul!

Great to hear from you. For kids, I will often say something like "take whatever body part they have given you, and put in gently on the ground away from their feet. Then let go." You'd be surprised how many techniques can be described that way (so why get bogged down with endless techniques that often get in the way?).

Another example: any connection between uke's and tori's hands makes a potential "doorway." So, using katatedori as an example, if you duck under the "front door," ikkyo or sankyo results, and sometimes kaiten nage. Going through the "back door" will almost always give you shihonage. For katatekosadori the reverse is true.

So, in this case, you've essentially taught the student one thing (here's the door, walk through it) and introduced them to four or more techniques. Yes, it's still useful for them to learn the names of these forms that result, and of course they still need to practice.

But in a crisis, what would you rather have a student have to remember?

Good luck, and if you decide to experiment, let me know how it goes.

Ross