Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-22-2005, 04:31 PM   #1
AikiWeb System
Article: Aiki Syntax, Part 3: Uke by Ross Robertson

Discuss the article, "Aiki Syntax, Part 3: Uke" by Ross Robertson here.

Article URL: http://www.aikiweb.com/columns/rrobertson/2005_12.html
Old 03-07-2006, 03:34 AM   #2
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany
Re: Article: Aiki Syntax, Part 3: Uke by Ross Robertson

Hi Ross,
I like the concept.If I ever will be near you, I'll take my time and visit you.

Yet some concept read somewhat strange and I guess, I can understand on the mat.

However I am totaly confused by your definition of uke and nage/tori. from my understanding ukemi, means "to take", that would imply that uke is the one that "inhalates", while nage "exhalates".

That does not change really anything, I just would say, that uke starts as a nage and turns to uke during technique and vice versa.

By the way, are you planning to visit "good old Europe"? Could be interesting to show us your ideas in a seminar.

Unfortunately I am not in the position to organise one, but if you are coming, please publish in Aikiweb. I would not like to miss it just because I was not informed.

Kind regards Dirk
Old 06-21-2006, 11:01 AM   #3
R.A. Robertson
Dojo: Still Point Aikido Center
Re: Article: Aiki Syntax, Part 3: Uke by Ross Robertson

Quote:
Dirk Hanss wrote:
Hi Ross,
I like the concept.If I ever will be near you, I'll take my time and visit you.

Yet some concept read somewhat strange and I guess, I can understand on the mat.

However I am totaly confused by your definition of uke and nage/tori. from my understanding ukemi, means "to take", that would imply that uke is the one that "inhalates", while nage "exhalates".

That does not change really anything, I just would say, that uke starts as a nage and turns to uke during technique and vice versa.

By the way, are you planning to visit "good old Europe"? Could be interesting to show us your ideas in a seminar.

Unfortunately I am not in the position to organise one, but if you are coming, please publish in Aikiweb. I would not like to miss it just because I was not informed.

Kind regards Dirk
Hi Dirk,

Indeed we often do change roles during a single technique. This makes it difficult to say this person is uke, that person is tori. It really depends on which way the energy is flowing at any given moment.

As for visiting Europe, of course I'd love to! As an independent instructor (no current affiliation) it's a bit harder sometimes, as dojo often have obligations to instructors in their own systems. But naturally I'd love to have the chance to share what I know with anyone who is interested.

By all means, if an opportunity arises, let me know! Meanwhile, if you ever find yourself in the Austin, Texas area, please know that our doors are open to you.

Many thanks for the kind words.

Ross