Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Language

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-30-2003, 03:26 PM   #1
Arianah
Dojo: Aikido of Norwalk
Ki Kanji

Hey all,

A couple of weeks ago my sempai and I had a short discussion about kanji. He mentioned that he was looking into the differences between the two common ways of writing "ki," the one (as pictured on this website) with a cross with four marks at the corners under the "bar", or the one with the "x" under the "bar". He said that he was trying to find out if there were differences in connotation between the two. I always thought, since I primarily saw the "x" version on typing programs, and the "cross" version in handwritten calligraphy that the difference came because the cross was too hard to represent in a computer font, or the cross was an artistic embellishment for calligraphers.

Are there differences in meaning between the two?

Sarah

Out of clutter, find simplicity.
From discord, find harmony.
In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity.
-Albert Einstein
Old 01-30-2003, 03:55 PM   #2
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
As far as my meager understanding of Japanes language goes the one with the x-character is the newer (official) kanji for ki and the other one the older character for ki.

The computerfont reasoning does not hold as I have them both on my computer, besides ki is not that difficult a character compaired to some others.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 01-30-2003, 03:57 PM   #3
Jeff Tibbetts
Dojo: Cedar River Aikikai
United_States
Erik, I'll confirm that I read the same thing, that the "x" is the newer one that was simplified some time ago.

If the Nightingale doesn't sing-
wait
Old 01-30-2003, 05:29 PM   #4
Kent Enfield

United_States
Yup. One's just the modern, simplified version and the other the older version. "Ki" isn't the only character this happened to, by the way. Any decent kanji dictionary should have a list of them. The only annoying part is that some dictionaries list these kanji under their traditional radicals, even when it's no longer in the character.

At the same time as this, the Japanese goverment also updated the kana system, eliminating the kana for we, wi, wu, ye, and yi, and making the way things are spelled more sensical by their modern pronunciation. No more writing "kaha" for "kawa" or "dofu" for "dou." For some reason they didn't do this for particles though, hence "wa," "o," and "e" being written as "ha," "wo," and "he."

This is also why you sometimes see Ueshiba written as "Uyeshiba." The latter is a direct transliteration of the hirgana for his name, as it was written in the first part of the 20th century. It'd still be pronounced the same.

Kentokuseisei
Old 01-30-2003, 07:28 PM   #5
jimvance
Dojo: Jiyushinkan
All written language undergoes changes, and we have just happened to see one in the character for Ki. Kanji as we know them have been through a lot of different changes, most of them due to writing and printing technology. The change from the "grain" radical to an "x" has happened not only to the word "ki" but to a lot of other characters. The Chinese have done this much more than the Japanese, I think more because their entire language is pictographic and lacks the addition of syllabary enhancers. They change the "four dots" you see under the character for "MU" (empty) into a straight line for example. I read a book where they said this was done as a response to the use of fountain pens instead of brushes, because dots are easier with a brush than they would be with a more rigid pen nib. Kind of made sense to me.

Jim Vance