Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-14-2005, 03:26 PM   #1
AikiWeb System
Oscar Ratti Passes Away

Posted 2005-09-14 15:23:58 by Jun Akiyama

Oscar Ratti, perhaps best known in the aikido world for his graceful illustrations in his book (co-authored by Adele Westbrook), "Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere," passed away on August 11th, 2005 in Manhattan at the age of 76.

He was born on September 11th, 1928, in San Terenzo (the sea coast also known as the Gulf o the Poets and also home of the Shelleys) and moved to Naples when he was quite young. Tuttle Publishing states, "He received his degree in classical studies and law from the University of Naples where he was intercollegiate Greco-Roman wrestling champion and a member of the championship judo team. He later came to the United States and began to study aikido with Yasuo Ohara, one of the first instructors to teach in New York."

In addition to the classic "Dynamic Sphere," Mr. Ratti also helped author and/or illustrate Code of the Samurai, Secrets of the Samurai, The Tales of the Hermit Vol 1, Vol 2, and Vol 3.

His illustrations have grown to be immediately recognizable in the world of aikido and have become a part of the bookshelves of countless aikido practitioners (myself included). My condolences go out to all of Mr. Ratti's friends, family, and loved ones.

Last edited by akiy : 09-15-2005 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:09 PM   #2
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Re: Oscar Ratti Passes Away

I have always enjoyed the wonderful drawings of Mr. Ratti. I still recommend his book Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere to my students as a classic. His contributions to the Aikido world will always be valued. My condolences to his family and friends.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:32 PM   #3
Jerry Miller

United_States
Unhappy Re: Oscar Ratti Passes Away

I can remember when "Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere" first was published. There were several people in the Dojo with copies. I did not get my own until just a few years ago. I wonder if he knew the influence this publication had. It is indeed a sad day.

Jerry Miller
Old 09-14-2005, 06:43 PM   #4
crbateman

This is indeed a regrettable loss. Although not active for many years in the global Aikido community, his beautiful artwork for "Dynamic Sphere" has long since set the standard by which such work is judged. May he rest in peace.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:52 PM   #5
Paul Kerr

Sad news. Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere was the first book I ever bought on Aikido. I suspect there are many who can say the same thing. Those illustrations are iconic in our community. My condolences.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:32 AM   #6
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere is not only a great aikido book, it's one of my favorite books, period. Everyone at my dojo is familiar with it, and I'm sure Mr. Ratti's passing will sadden my fellow students.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:52 AM   #7
sullivanw
Dojo: Portland Aikikai
United_States

What a sad day. I remember being enthralled by the illustrations and the analytic nature of Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere when I purchased my first copy years ago. I love the text, but always seem to end up passing it on to friends who are interested in Aikido because the illustrations do such justice to the art. My condolences to his loved ones.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:27 PM   #8
Eric Webber
Dojo: Aikido West Reading
United_States

I am truly saddened to hear of Mr. Ratti passing on, his works have been an inspiration to the aikido community for over 30 years. He will be missed tremendously. My condolences to his family and friends, as well as to the aikido community as a whole. May his memory always live on with us.