Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-17-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
tim evans
United_States
Nervous Newbie - About to Test

I was informed today my 5th kyu test date is in sept.I have 70% of the techniques down rolls are good the only thing is my cardio is awful I mean I,ve watched a few tests to get a ideal on whats involved and this aspect of it makes me nervous any tips on test conditioning is greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 07-17-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
tim evans
United_States
Re: nervous newbie

sorry wrong board
Old 07-17-2009, 09:51 PM   #3
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States
Re: nervous newbie

Try doing practice tests to see how you handle it.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:53 AM   #4
PhilMyKi
Dojo: Seibukan, Milton Keynes
United Kingdom
Re: Nervous Newbie - About to Test

Remember to breath or you go a funny colour I can testify that this is easier said than done! As for CV, fall down and get up a lot, I always try to swim a mile in my lunch break (and fail as soon as I see some totty go into the sauna! )
Old 07-18-2009, 06:01 AM   #5
caelifera

United_States

I'm trying to get my cardio/endurance up myself. I'm not a doctor, but I would just try pushing it a little each class AND do something that gets your heart moving every day.

I'm going to go and try out my advice now. Good luck with your test.

Powerful, loving, sound-minded spirit. 2Tim 1:7
http://ghoppersgrotto.blogspot.com/
Old 07-18-2009, 06:42 AM   #6
Garth Jones
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

You have plenty of time to prepare for a 5th kyu test. Just keep going to the dojo, working on the techniques, and doing regular CV exercise (walk, run, bike, swim, whatever works for your body). Even regular brisk walks will make quite a difference over two months. Just take it gradually.

Then the hard task - relax! IMO the most important part of the testing process is now, the preparation. The actual test should be just another moment in your training. Do the best you can - celebrate what goes well and use the test (the good and the bad) as a map for your next phase of training.

Cheers,
Garth
Old 07-18-2009, 08:07 PM   #7
RED
United_States

Remember, slow is fast, fast is smooth.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:01 AM   #8
Rolf Granlund
Dojo: Shinsuikan/Genoa, Ohio
United_States

For me, the worst part of testing has always been remembering to breathe. If I can remember to breathe, the cardio aspect always goes a little better. And don't forget to smile and enjoy yourself.

With Respect,
Rolf Granlund
Old 07-19-2009, 05:27 AM   #9
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

I have an advice for you. Though I kow it will be difficult for you to follow.

This is only 5th Kyu, the requirments are typiclly very low, and you are not expected to be able to do more then you normally can (otherwise, your Sensei would not have recommended you to test).
All you really need to do, is to keep training seriously, and do your best at the test, nothing more. Most chances you will pass.

good luck
Amir

P.S.
You may replace 5th Kyu with any other rank, including dan grades. A good Sensei only sets you with a rank test if he believes you are worthy of the rank. You train every day to prove your rank, and the test is only an affirmation show.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:13 AM   #10
tim evans
United_States
Smile Re: Nervous Newbie - About to Test

I have picked up my training to 3 to 4 days a week and I can see the pieces coming together slowly but surely.I have good instructors and I,m confident I will be ready on time just need to get the butterflies out.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:42 AM   #11
bleepbeep
Dojo: kyokan dojo bacolod city/dale city aikikai, va
United_States

To minimize nervousness, think of it as just another day at the dojo and you are practicing the techniques being called out. Just be mindful of balance and form.

I would like to suggest have fun, too but it might be misinterpreted as irreverence, which it is not.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #12
StevieT
United Kingdom

Take some water on board before you start the test. Otherwise I find that the combination of nerves, the physical exertion, and the curious effect that Aikido has on one's ability to remember to breathe makes me dry up very quickly.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:17 PM   #13
CarrieP

United_States

That was me about a year ago. And I was just informed I'll be testing for 4th kyu in about 2 weeks. Heh.

All advice here is good so far, but I'll add or reinforce a few things.

* If possible, do your level best to get on the mat, warm up, maybe even go through a couple of techniques with your sempai before the formal test starts, if possible. I had this option for my test and was too nervous to do it, and my test suffered as a result.

* Definitely do a practice test or two if offered. At the very least, get some experience with having techniques called out, and then doing them. You want to try to get faster with hearing the technique names and pulling up that recall of what the technique is. You are learning a foreign vocabulary, and it may take some time for your brain to just "know" what the techniques are.

* Keep showing up to train on a regular basis. That will do you a lot better than trying to do cardio on the side. Cardio on the side is nice eventually, but don't worry about it right now. If you are doing an hr class 3 days a week, completing a 10-20 minute test is well within your abilities as-is. The best way to condition for aikido is to do aikido. If you *really want* to do cardio, just don't overdo it.

* If your dojo is a more social one, plan to do a group dinner after. It will give you a space in which to relax after the test, to toast your success or drown your sorrows.

* Think of the test as another practice, to try to take some of the edge off of your first test. I personally have a fair bit of test anxiety, which I am constantly working on managing. At this point, though, I'm comfortable enough in my practice and with the people I train with that, no matter what the result of the test (pass or fail, my emotional response to it), I will learn a lot from it, and keep on training. Ultimately, all grading in aikido is practice, just a specific, formal type of practice where you get a grade afterwards.

* Definitely make sure to breathe. This will help your stamina, help you to relax, help you to recover if you get worked up over something.

Last edited by CarrieP : 07-31-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:23 PM   #14
RED
United_States

Cardio and th kyu shouldn't be a super huge problem I think unless you are horridly out of shape. Then again on my 5th kyu test I was winded by my first technique-- but that's because I forgot to breath. Just remember to breath. Being nervous won't help. I was told that when I test to act like you have to go to the bathroom real bad lol.. so you just go in, do what it is that you do effectively, ad get out. You're not gonna wow anyone with 5th kyu.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #15
tim evans
United_States

Quote:
Maggie Schill wrote: View Post
Cardio and th kyu shouldn't be a super huge problem I think unless you are horridly out of shape. Then again on my 5th kyu test I was winded by my first technique-- but that's because I forgot to breath. Just remember to breath. Being nervous won't help. I was told that when I test to act like you have to go to the bathroom real bad lol.. so you just go in, do what it is that you do effectively, ad get out. You're not gonna wow anyone with 5th kyu.
Well Maggie if I can get through it without looking like a deer in the headlights I would be satisfied.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:07 PM   #16
Suru
United_States

Approaching test time, my sensei would teach techniques for various kyu. I hope yours do(es) too since that's a big help. Oh and be nervous. There's nothing anyone can say that's going to chill you out for a test. Evaluation apprehension is certainly no stranger to many others and me. On the bright side, when your sympathetic nervous system gets going, it will be like natural cocaine, keeping you alert and on your toes.

Drew
Old 08-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #17
RED
United_States

Quote:
Tim Evans wrote: View Post
Well Maggie if I can get through it without looking like a deer in the headlights I would be satisfied.
Try not looking at your uke. So long as you know your stuff the movements should be natural. When I feel intimidated I try using soft eyes so I don't directly see the mass of what is approaching me. This I warn only works however if you have a keen sense of where your uke is and how they are moving without directly looking at them. If you can master soft eyes, it can make things smoother, fluent and a lot less intimidating. The reason I started doing it is because I'm 5"2' and a small woman, everyone and everything scared me at first in aikido.

"Do not stare into the eyes of your opponent: he may mesmerize you. Do not fix your gaze on his sword: he may intimidate you. Do not focus on your opponent at all: he may absorb your energy. The essence of training is to bring your opponent completely into your sphere. Then you can stand where you like. "-- O' Sensei
Old 08-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #18
GMaroda
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Steve Thomas wrote: View Post
Take some water on board before you start the test. Otherwise I find that the combination of nerves, the physical exertion, and the curious effect that Aikido has on one's ability to remember to breathe makes me dry up very quickly.
I second this. If you don't have to pee, you're not hydrated enough!

That and have fun! Sure it's nervous, but it's controlled and no sensei worth their salt is going to let you test unless they already know you're going to pass!
Old 08-03-2009, 08:53 AM   #19
Suru
United_States

I learned in cross country and track not to drink much before running or between events. My coaches said to just drink enough to refresh. But that was a long time ago, so maybe theories have changed.

Drew
Old 08-03-2009, 12:01 PM   #20
RED
United_States

Quote:
Drew Gardner wrote: View Post
I learned in cross country and track not to drink much before running or between events. My coaches said to just drink enough to refresh. But that was a long time ago, so maybe theories have changed.

Drew
He's right I think. You want just enough to hydrate, anymore and it will give your cramps. Never drink cold water when doing something strenuous. This is simple science. When you drink cold water it not only can give you cramping, but your body has to exert calories to bring the water to body temperature before it can be used for hydration. Always drink room temperature water. It's not as refreshing, but it will be more effective in hydration.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:28 PM   #21
Ryan Seznee
Dojo: Does it matter?
United_States

Quote:

Drew
He's right. One should never take more than three mouthfuls of liquid while they are doing anything strainuous. I would recomend that you don't take any drinks directly before class, the water splashing around in your stomach will make you feel ill (people with weak stomachs tend to throw up a lot when they take their first water break).
Old 08-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #22
Karo
United_States

Quote:
On the bright side, when your sympathetic nervous system gets going, it will be like natural cocaine, keeping you alert and on your toes.
Or it will paralyze you and impair your memory, so you're just standing there with your brain totally blank... (Yeah, that would be me.)

I'm just saying, people have different reactions to stress

Karo
Old 08-29-2009, 08:38 PM   #23
tim evans
United_States

Well testing is 3 weeks away and to be honest I,m just wanting to get through it cleanly and not sloppy I have picked up the classes but my pins is whats going to kill it for me.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:40 PM   #24
Voitokas

United_States

Three weeks is plenty of time to work on your pins - ask some sempai to work with you after class, maybe. It'll be fine!

I am not an expert
Old 08-29-2009, 11:43 PM   #25
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States

Hi Tim. How are you doing on your cardio? I'm doing my first test on Sept. 19 (we test for 6 kyu first), and that's something I need work on, big time. I do a lot of walking, and am pretty good at low-level endurance stuff (working hard for hours in the yard, etc.). But I figure for the jiyuwaza part of the test I need higher-intensity, shorter-duration cardio (working really hard for a few minutes), plus remembering to breathe. So my thinking is that I should be training exactly that. Like sprints on the elliptical or something. Anyway, if you've found anything helpful, I'm all ears. :-)

Is your test on the 19th, too? Is this your first? In any case, I'm sure you'll do great.

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My Aikido blog: Grab My Wrist

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba