Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-05-2002, 08:46 AM   #26
Harms
Dojo: Lunds aikido
One of my sensei Stina Durell used to recite three guidelines at the start of every practise session with tanto for what to do if ever faced by some one with a knife:
1. Run away. Knives are sharp.
2. Do not try to do a technique. Just use your reflexes to try and do the right thing. Reflexes har faster than a thought.
3. You last choice is to try and anticipate what he will do and use an appropriate technique.

I belive that this is what you should do in any situation. I belive we practise to learn reflexes and a way of moving not to learn a technique.

I know many who have used their aikido in real life but not allways the fighting aspects. To know how to fall and regain balance is the most common usage so I don't think it's something I don't use in the "Real world" (tm)

As for dancing, I belive that my moves on the dancefloor has improved because of aikido
/Tobias Harms
Old 07-05-2002, 09:55 AM   #27
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Closer to home, have you ever gotten an uke who's response to your technique is entirely unexpected? Maybe its just me. I've been so conditioned to expect what uke would do after executing a certain move, that when he does something unexpected like lunge at me with a shoulder tackle, I do not respond adequately. Maybe its how I've been training. I don't know about other aikidoka's...

At least in the dojo, there's always a second chance. Unlike in the real world... one encounter, one chance.

As for other activities are concern, aikido didn't help my dancing. I'm as crap as ever. But it sure did help my golf!

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:23 AM   #28
SlowLerner
Re: The Real World

I think the problem here is a lot of people think reality is sport fighting, they don't understand real violence.

In reality you are going to have the odds stacked hard against you. You can train all you want at what ever flavour of the month martial art and you will just get beaten by someone who cheats with weapons or numbers.

Fighting is like trying to put a fire out with petrol. It just doesn't work in reality. You will either get your ass kicked or go to jail. There is no 'line' that gets crossed where you decide you can finally use your lethal martial art.
It's a continuum of escalation that you are either contributing to, or you aren't.
As if you are going to get the other guy to 'tap out' and he will shake your hand and say well done. He will just get you back later and 'cheat'.

What is required are techniques and strategy to allow you to escape. What is the point of jiyu waza? Is it to look cool and beat up a bunch of people at once? Fighting one person doesn't 'work' let alone a whole group of people.
I used to feel like I had failed when I didn't throw someone with a technique. But it's only failure if you consider that the goal. The goal should not be to fight and beat the other person, but to not get hit or grabbed yourself.

I used to question why Aikido doesn't have 1 on 1 randori, but now i believe it's because it doesn't make sense when you consider it this way. It doesn't make sense to test Aikido against other styles, because their rules dictate that you have to fight and beat them.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:20 AM   #29
SlowLerner

I also believe that if a martial art is to be considered self defense, the techniques need to be such that uke is unable to reach you with their other hand just in case they are carrying a weapon. This is one point that differentiates from sport oriented techniques. I hear people say, 'i'd just run away', but if the guy knows how to use it, you aren't going to see it.

Perhaps i'm being dramatic.

My greatest real world benefit in training Aikido is I find it demands all my focus. I don't have any brain power left to stress about work etc..
Old 10-17-2016, 06:20 AM   #30
SlowLerner

Quote:
Steven Wright wrote: View Post
I think the problem here is a lot of people think reality is sport fighting, they don't understand real violence.
Just want to clarify, when I say 'here' I'm not referring to the people on this thread, but the topic itself.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:05 AM   #31
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Steven Wright wrote: View Post
Just want to clarify, when I say 'here' I'm not referring to the people on this thread, but the topic itself.
Good, because the people on this thread wrote what they wrote 14 years ago.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:20 PM   #32
SlowLerner

LOL. Hence my username.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:47 PM   #33
ninjedi

United_States

Also good to keep the law in mind, even (especially?) when defending yourself.

You can win the fight, but still lose everything, including your freedom.