Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-10-2005, 12:30 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: How well are kihonwaza (basic techniques) taught at your dojo?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of July 10, 2005:

How well are kihonwaza (basic techniques) taught at your dojo?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Perfectly well
  • Exceptionally well
  • Very well
  • Somewhat well
  • Not very well
  • Not at all well
Here are the current results.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:17 AM   #2
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States
Re: Poll: How well are kihonwaza (basic techniques) taught at your dojo?

I think this poll is really uncovering how much each of us values kihon waza. How much of the basics is too much?
Old 07-14-2005, 01:32 AM   #3
rogueenergy
Dojo: Aikido of Lincoln
United_States

Quote:
David Knowlton wrote:
I think this poll is really uncovering how much each of us values kihon waza. How much of the basics is too much?
The question for me is how, as a beginner, am I supposed to know how well kihon waza is taught?
Old 07-14-2005, 06:37 AM   #4
MikeLogan

United_States

Nice Catch, Nick.

Just under a year ago I moved back home and away from my first dojo in DC. Upon starting at my current dojo I was complimented on my basics, which was primarily a result of my instructor, but also partly due to my quantum mechanics professor.

The latter was fond of telling us that it is impossible to memorize every fact and equation necessary to come to the solution of many of the questions faced in that class, and that only building a solution from a keen grasp of the fundamentals of physics, etc etc, would we have a chance of approaching and solving the problems we were given. Apply likewise to the endless scenarios and techniques available to any given combat situation. It's impossible from rote memory to execute any&every single technique available. It takes familiarity bred from constant conscious and unconscious awareness of the basics expressed ( balance, maai, breath, stance, connection) in order to build a solution out of the exact scenario you are faced with.

that's a lot of talking for not having had any coffee this early, so feel free to disregard where necessary.

mike.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:19 AM   #5
Berney Fulcher
Dojo: Roswell Budokan
United_States

I'm kind of in Nick's spot. Exactly how much of what we do is 'basics'? Where do the basics stop?