Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-28-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States
Weapons bag

I just ordered my new iaito (should be getting here Tuesday) and now I am in the search of a good bag for it. Most of what I am finding are leather or imitation leather and I'm not really interested in that. What I am looking for is more of a good quality nylon bag, like what bujin had. I found a nylon bag on nine circles and it seems appealing.

Have any of you purchased this? I'm actually thinking about getting the brown one since it will match my iaito. I checked to see if any bujin bags were on aikido24/iaido24 and nada.

If any of you know any other suppliers I should check into, please let me know.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
ninjaqutie

United_States
Re: Weapons bag

Jun, I just realized I posted in weapons instead of supplies. Feel free to relocate this for me if you feel it is necessary.

Thanks!!!

~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:33 AM   #3
Peter Wong

Ashley,
did you visit Janet Rosen's site?
Old 05-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
Janet Rosen

Thanks for the plug! But I don't work in vinyl or luggage type bags, just cottons (twills and canvas). I used to refer queries for luggage style bags to Bujin and hope they are able to offer them again soon.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 05-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

A couple of people from my dojo got weapons bags from nine circles. They had a table at the last seminar I attended. They are nice bags although they are not long enough for a jo to fit inside of the zipper compartment. There is a set of loops on the outside of the bag that will hold a jo though so it works fine for them. I'm glad I got my bjin bag before they were gone but the Nine Circles bags are almost as nice.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
ninjaqutie

United_States

Quote:
Peter Wong wrote: View Post
Ashley,
did you visit Janet Rosen's site?
Actually, I have visited her site and what she makes is lovely (I had the pleasure of seeing one of her bags first hand), but that isn't really what I am looking for at the moment.

I am looking for a nylon bag that has some padding in it to protect the iaito during car travel. I found another site that looks promising, but I am always one to read reviews or want to see things first hand, so buying sight unseen and no reviews is a bit scary for me...

Thanks everyone!

Old 05-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #7
lbb
United_States

I'm not really up on all the terminology, but the Bujin bags are made out of cordura, or maybe it's what they're all calling "ballistic" fabric nowadays, whatever that means. It's a synthetic of a particular weave and durability, is all. "Nylon" is, of course, a much broader term. The Bujin bags are really hard to beat in terms of the quality of materials and workmanship...if you can find something comparable, don't hesitate.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:25 AM   #8
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

If you really need to protect your iaito while travelling, consider using a plastic rifle case. You have Big 5 Sporting Goods in your area and they sell one for around $25 that will carry all your weapons, sports a solid handle, and is lockable. Hard plastic on the outside and an egg crate foam interior. I have several and have carried both my swords and scoped rifles in them without incident. They aren't elegant, but they are really tough and excellent at protecting the contents.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 05-30-2011, 12:31 AM   #9
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
I'm not really up on all the terminology, but the Bujin bags are made out of cordura, or maybe it's what they're all calling "ballistic" fabric nowadays, whatever that means. It's a synthetic of a particular weave and durability, is all. "Nylon" is, of course, a much broader term. The Bujin bags are really hard to beat in terms of the quality of materials and workmanship...if you can find something comparable, don't hesitate.
Cordura is a specific brand of a specific form of nylon. BTW it is made by a company owned by the Kochs.

Janet Rosen
Old 05-30-2011, 06:13 AM   #10
Rabih Shanshiry

United_States

Kingfisher has recently started offering a weapons bag from a similar material to the Bujin bags. The Kingfisher version is not quite as beefy, but it is the best I've seen if you can't find a Bujin.

bTw: what iaito did you get and what did you upgrade from and why? Might be in the market myself soon...
Old 05-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #11
Janet Rosen

I'm not the OP but heartily recommend you look at iaito from mugendo budogu, Peter Boylan's website.

Janet Rosen
Old 05-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #12
ninjaqutie

United_States

Quote:
Rabih Shanshiry wrote: View Post
Kingfisher has recently started offering a weapons bag from a similar material to the Bujin bags. The Kingfisher version is not quite as beefy, but it is the best I've seen if you can't find a Bujin.

bTw: what iaito did you get and what did you upgrade from and why? Might be in the market myself soon...
Thanks for letting me know, I will go check out their site now

I got my iaito from Budo Aoi. Though their turn around time sucks, the quality of their iaito is top notch. I ordered mine from their in stock list, so it was shipped out immediately. I upgraded from a wooden bokken with wooden saya. I've been trying to save up for one for almost two years and finally bit the bullet and got one.

There are several reputable suppliers out there, and I am sure you will hear tons of various ones. I like Aoi, but a lot of people like tozando and nine circles too. Other people from my dojo have one from swordstore or bugei as well and are pleased.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #13
Rabih Shanshiry

United_States

Thanks for the info Janet and Ashley. Sorry to sidetrack the thread!
Old 05-30-2011, 07:50 PM   #14
ninjaqutie

United_States

No worries!