Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-08-2008, 03:00 PM   #101
Will Prusner

Dojo: AikiSpirit Dojo
United_States
Re: I'm Leaving Aikido

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
ah, actually, any of the more informed sites pretty much concluded that type of claim is bunk. Check aikidojournal.com and e-budo for some reasonable threads on Ueshiba and any possibilities of him actually training in Chinese arts while in Manchuria.
Thanks for clearing that up and for the suggested reading.
I stand corrected.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration...

ART! - http://birdsbeaks.blogspot.com/
Old 01-08-2008, 04:53 PM   #102
gregg block

United_States

Quote:
Roman Kremianski wrote: View Post
I don''t remember calling anyone here a liar. An old dude beating up 3 burly bouncers DOES sound like something out of Karate Kid. It's the first thing that came to my mind. I have this funny feeling many will agree. And it's also kinda humorous on it's own, once you get over the Aikido pride and the insulted Aikidoka with a chip on their shoulder.

The beauty of the keystroke? I am using my real full name here, along with me real dojo.Yes, I'm 3rd kyu in Aikido. I trained in Aikido for 2.5 years and that's the rank I achieved. Shortly following that, I left to experience other arts. Nothing really to hide there, as a simple google search of my dojo and a glance at our grading list will tell you. I hold no significance in the Aikido world, just a pocket of my personal experience that I sometimes share under my real identity on a respectable internet forum. Everything that comes out of me is the opinion of a young college student, not a shihan...since when did you have to hold a certain kyu before you can comment?

Stories don't impress me. I spar with guys who've knocked opponents out while competing in professional MMA. I hold no significance in that world either, just like in Aikido, I dove in as a young guy to learn and suck up the knowledge around me. Here is a story: I got 5 stitches bellow the right eyebrow after getting slammed by a skilled wrestler. Learned a lot from it.

So yes, there are real situations, and there are stories, but that's still all they are. People here need to relax.

Why am I still here? Because I've trained in Aikido, am interested in Aikido, and am curious about the opinions of other Aikidoka. If I really didn't care, I'd just be on Bullshido.

"Video or it didn't happen" isn't the end all...but it really is one step above "A friend of mine told me..."
Good for you Roman. I for one frequently enjoy your posts and humor. Kind of refreshing to me
Old 01-08-2008, 09:30 PM   #103
Infantryman1990
United_States

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote: View Post
The only story that immediately came to my mind reading this thread, was the story of Terry Dobson working as a bouncer, disarming a drunk wielding a chainsaw.

In gassho,

Mark
The late Terry Dobson also had a story that after 10 years of Aikido under O' Sensei, "Mr. Impeccable" (as he called himself while telling the story) found his building caught fire in New York. In his one hand he grabbed a salt shaker, in the other a pepper shaker, and ran downstairs.

His gi, his typewriter, everything was destroyed.

His point: you never know how you're going to respond in a crisis.

--
Ryan Riggs
Plano, Texas

Currently on the disabled list.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:48 PM   #104
crbateman

Quote:
Ryan Riggs wrote: View Post
The late Terry Dobson also had a story that after 10 years of Aikido under O' Sensei, "Mr. Impeccable" (as he called himself while telling the story) found his building caught fire in New York. In his one hand he grabbed a salt shaker, in the other a pepper shaker, and ran downstairs.

His gi, his typewriter, everything was destroyed.

His point: you never know how you're going to respond in a crisis.
A man's gotta eat...
Old 01-09-2008, 12:54 AM   #105
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
Michael Gelum wrote: View Post
....., but atemi,atemi,geri and more atemi, sure kept both of us standing.
Geri, that can be troublesome, usually keeps me seated! Find it a good idea to keep some imodium in my pocket .

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 01-09-2008, 02:01 AM   #106
nagoyajoe

Dojo: Kokikai Hombu Shushinkan Dojo, Nagoya
Japan

Very funny Mr. Bateman! I needed to smile after a day like today! Thanks!
Old 01-09-2008, 06:02 AM   #107
BK Barker
United_States

You know I am a lowly yellow belt and can't hold a candle to many that post on this site but I am also a straight forward, honest, to the point practical guy. I have seen many posts in this thread that I agree with but for the life of me I can not think of any reason for a post like this only to serve malice and try to smear something/someone. If someone wants to leave something whether it be a job, a town, or a martial art they are an adult it is thier choice they can move on with their own agenda so if they offer it shake their hand and wish them luck and thank them then just let them go on their way.

As Lynn Seiser stated on the first page....

Quote:
Then I bow back with a smile
as you bow politely
and leave the dojo.
I also believe this is one of the bests post's I've seen on this topic made by Gregg Block
Quote:
I guess if I started with Aikido I might have felt as you do. Your a young man you should probrably venture elsewhere, who knows you may find yourself returning at a later time. Aikido will still be here and we will welcome your return.. Good luck
As for the originator of this thread I will say... thanks for your time and I hope you can find what you are looking for and have a safe journey... Good luck.

BK
Old 01-10-2008, 10:29 AM   #108
SmilingNage
United_States

Aikido has such a high attrition rate something like 9 out of 10 quit in 1 st year. It is no of surprise that threads like this get created.

What can one say, at least he gave it a 3 yrs it didn't sink in for him. Good for him for giving Aikido such a long grace period before bailing. I hope he applies this to all the martial arts he encounters.

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:15 AM   #109
Daniel Ranger-Holt
United Kingdom

Quote:
Joshua Reyer wrote: View Post
The idea of aikido is not "he punches me, I respond with shiho-nage", but rather "through shiho-nage, I learn how to manipulate this shape of energy coming at me." To be sure, there are many in aikido who don't quite understand this distinction.
Yeah, the more i think about this post and my Aikido in general i think perhaps i just never grasped it well enough. I approached Aikido in a very "i want to learn street self defence" way. And even though i understood the centre point, speheres, etc etc. I think it just deviated away too much from what i wanted to learn which is quite simply..."i'm attacked, what do i do" energy and shapes and dynamic spheres, ki energy, slicing with wooden swords. I sadly don't think i ever really saw how this applies in a real life situation.

On the mat you can demonstrate perfect centre point, and downward spirals etc but i found in the mess of the street it's just not real. So yeh, i didn't understand the distinction, and don't have time to spend another two years learning about circles and energy. I want to protect myself.
Quote:
Larry Camejo wrote: View Post
The OP would do well to re-read Kevin L.'s post #60 and Mark M.'s post #63.
Imho if one truly wants to leave anything then they just leave, there is no need to let anyone else know. Imho those who make an issue of it and announce their leaving are actually looking for a reason not to, i.e. they are looking for a reaction from someone to tell them that there may be another option to leaving.
I think the point of this thread is not about leaving Aikido at all, but about attempting to warn people that many Aikido dojo do not provide what they say with regard to usable real world skills. I agree totally with this.
I still think that the OP went to an Aikido dojo in an attempt to get bouncer training.
I announced i was leaving to see if any others had the same feelings as i, and to almost help me as to if i was making the right choice. I'm not stubborn enough to disregard opinions of those who have had much more expierience than me. Of course i want to find other options rather then leaving, i spent two years three times a week. Wouldn't you want to seek other peoples opinions, who have more expirience than yourself before leaving a martial art??

The posts have been great, some people agreeing with me. Of course i know many people see Aikido as more than a form of self defence and almost a religion or something. I don't, but i'm aware some people would have got offended. Look, my actual name is up here, if i intentionally wanted to upset people i wouldn't have posted it on the biggest Aikido forum on the internet. I'm just saying what i felt.

As for the point of my thread, you got it right, the Aikido i have been taught, and the Aikido i have seen. Including countless videos, is not the art for me. It's great self defence when your being attacked on the mat...but i find the Aikido i have seen. (Thousands of videos of dojos all around the world online, about 15 dvd's and Casettes) wouldn't work for real. Unless, im finding now, it's drastically different, or other martial art techniques are blended in with that Aikido.

Of course many people say "at our dojo we train FOR REAL our techniques work" then that's fine, but then it becomes less about Aikido and much more specific to the instructor who is teaching that Aikido and then..is it Aikido?? It's a lot more easier to find something that does what it says on the tin, then hunting down rare dojos who actually teach the kind of Aikido i would be looking for. If it's anything close to what i've been taught or seen, then it's not for me.

Also harry i have never seen a real punch ever neatrilised by a shinage or yonko etc, ever. And i've watcher a lot of Aikido. Is this traditional Aikido you train in? or something else. If it is traditional Aikido, then i guess i have been trained wrong. Personally, ive watched a LOT of aikido, and i belive it's as simple as the aikido. It's just not nice to admit it. Took me a while to.

And no i didnt start aikido to learn bouncer protection. I decided to become a bouncer about a year and half in. I learned Aikido because something happened for me to want to protect myself. Obviously the job came along and then i thought it would be suited for Aikido. But found personally it wasn't.
Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote: View Post
Having a few simple skills and strategies and working on getting them down in an uncooperative environment in a few months is realistic working with those that have the same career need. Walking in to a traditional martial arts school which has so many other goals and students with probably even more reasons and goals, I really can't understand why it took two years for the OP to figure this out that the training wasn't what would fit the bill. Why he thinks another school built on cobbling together various traditional martial art moves is going to fit the bill either is beyond me. Yes punch and kicking is easier to pantomime and feel like you doing something. NOT a big revelation.
Are you just being plain rude or is this some kind of friendly sarcasm?? Regardless i will respond and assume it's friendly sarcasm as we're all adults here. Yeah, as i said previously, the best tool in being a doorman is humbling yourself. The amount of times ive been asked if i want a fight and will every single time reply "no of course not" or something similar, it works for the most part, simply humbling yourself. But occasionally people dont ask if you want a fight, they just fly in with a headbutt or a quick jab...and that's where MY aikido let me down. It took me two years to figure it wasn't for me because i was partially in denial, i was stubborn and didnt want to leave, and because i was told it will come with time. And it did in a way, but, not quick enough i guess.
Don't feel intimidated or angry against another another "art" if you're talking about Krav it's not my religion or my life, if i get bored or want to move on i will take what it gave me and move on. It's just damn good fun, and enjoyable at the moment. Barely a few months of lessons and my confidence has gone right up, as opposed to the unsure haze of Aikido i and other people have. And that was after two years. Krav isn't pretty and yea it's cobbled together moves from other martial arts, it's not even called a martial art because it's not meant to be. It's self defence. No belts or ranks. But the training is real speed, reactions are built up, something i never ever got from aikido in two YEARS and it's just better suited for me. Don't be mad about it my friend. TRY IT!

"Honestly, you sound as foolish as someone who expects to be able to write a novel because they learned how to spell and then finding disappointment, they decide the solution is to learn how to spell in another language."

Ok so you was beign rude earlier. But regardless, that...above? was awful. Do you even know what you meant writing that?? Say "no Daniel". Bow your head, and stop being silly. Let's strip it down. You're just upset someone disagree's with you about Aikido. Look at how the other people have posted. They might not agree with me, but at least they disagree with some decorum. My goodness sir, shocking. *shakes head*
Quote:
Budd Yuhasz wrote: View Post
So, I can relate to finding an art that isn't workging out, though I can also allow that it depends what you put into it. But, I do welcome OP to continue posting here. I think it's helpful here to hear all perspectives of people that practice aikido. If everyone agreed about everything and didn't question anything, it would get dull pretty quickly . . .
^^ There we go Mr hocker.
Quote:
Michael Gelum wrote: View Post
A few questions I have, you do not have to answer if you do not care to. Why do you want to be a "Bouncer" ?
Because the money is very very good for a short amount of hours. Freeing up my days to spend more time with my daughter and to persue my hobbies and music. Nothing more. Plus i got tired of 9 years behind a desk and wanted something completely different.
Why do you train at a church-based Aikido club and want to be Bouncer in a bar?
Church based has nothing to do with it, it's just the hall they hire out my friend. As to the rest of this question, please refer to my answer above.
Your Sensei ,according to the website, does not have any experience in this type of occupation, why did you choose this dojo?
Because it was the closest one to me. I rang, explained i wanted to learn self defence for the street and went from there. I want to clarfiy again, this is not to do with how i was taught, i think its to do with Aikido in general. I accept there are offshoots and some dojos who teach a different kind of Aikido than the one everyone else has seen and been taught. I know this now. But in general, it was just the Aikido, not the Teacher.
Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Matthew wrote:
The dynamics of how we train in aikido, while principally sound, do not carry over as a direct dynamic of reality. This is why you find guys like me that study aikido for many years, then proceed to go out and get their ass handed to them by someone that could careless how long you studied aikido, or how you do a proper iriminage!
There are those out there that can demonstrate aikido principles in non-compliance..the problem is, it ends up looking like other stuff, and it the teaching point of aikido gets lost...so why bother?
Isn't this what i've been trying to say to people? and you're last point is spot on too.
Quote:
Michael Quinn wrote: View Post
Aiki training has weaknesses , such as constant emphasis on wrist grabs, compliance etc. Hoever, its strengths are tai sabaki body movement, trying to turn your opponent, ukemi, multiple attack randori, defence against knives, attacking the attack with you entry movement etc. The video supplied reinforces in my eyes aiki has answers to all those attacks. Away from Aiki, you can look at Geoff Thompson of the BCA, who teaches everything from fear control, to all out training, but even he and his peers will always return to traditional for the core principles. Cross training may be your answer, for punching as your back-up, or kicking or groundwork, but again i would keep Aiki as your core style. My own plans are to return to Aikido myself. Cheers!.
Really good post, funnily enough many students at the Krav Class said to me i will find some similarities in Aikido to Krav with some of the locks and holds, and i wouldn't have wasted my time in aiki. No one seemed to have a bad word to say against it. But still understood my reasons for leaving. Some of the techniques looked similar to Aikido except it was all done at full speed and less fiddly, and flashy..to the point. Takedown, done. Maybe in the future i will return to Aikido, who knows. But not for the moment, until i feel like i am confident i can protect myself. Then perhaps go back to Aikido as you did to learn body basics etc.
Quote:
Peter Ralls wrote: View Post
if you want your aikido to be more effective, you have to try and train realistically. If your dojo does everything slow motion, it's going to be hard to get much realism there. I am a big believer that if one martial art doesn't meet your needs or make you happy, go find another one. So I fully support your desire to go try different martial arts, I think that is a very good idea. But if you decide you want to come back to aikido, I would suggest finding a dojo where they train faster and more realistically. There are dojos out there that do. And last of all, my opinion is that the only way to make your martial art practise truly realistic is to actually use it in real life and learn for yourself what works and doesn't. It seems to me that you are already well along the way there. Good luck in your training.
Twenty four years?? lets be honest, if you're telling me Aikido works, then i'm no one to disagree. That's a long time, and ten times more dangerous than my job. It is interesting however that you note some judo techniques have needed to be used, and sweeps and such. None of which are studied in Aikido. So once again suggesting Aikido by itself (what i was studying) isn't enough. But...i have read your post and took in your words. Thanks for taking the time to write that.
Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote: View Post
You will never know this until you are in a fight... The mental and physical conditions (both the positive and the negative) that occur in a fight (not to mention the stakes) are impossible to faithfully reproduce in the dojo. You can train to be prepared, and that makes good sense, but only being is truly knowing...
Exactly, i hadn't had a fight (cept as a kid) until i started doorwork of course, and this is what promted me to post and change my "martial art" This is what im saying. So many people claiming this and that, but how many of them have really been in a fight or a scuffle on the floor or had someone fly at them. Its just so so so different to spending time on the mat in a Dojo bowing, it really is. That's why when the Police, or Army peoples post here i really do sit up and take notice. As who would know better about real life situations? No offence, i would feel more comfortable alongside them, then some fat old Aikido whos been plodding about for 20 years bowing on a mat. (I'm podgy myself, i can say that)
Quote:
Saji Jamakin wrote: View Post
I've never had that problem. I am total Aikido. No additives, no supplements, no preservatives. I insist that I learn all my self-defense the aikido way and have been very satisfied.
Perhaps it's because I only have experience with Shodokan, (Tomiki), Aikido.
In my dojo within the first 3 weeks I was thrown into multiple attackers, free style, tanto randori. (That means alternating attacks with fake knives by two attackers for those of you who are unsure). The free style ment any attack was valid -- slashing, overhand stabs, underhand stabs, angles, etc. I did okay. Yes I got stabbed a coulple of times...by the intial attack or by the other attacker when I had successfully subdued the initial attacker. (Very Hhumbling)..
The point is and the point my instructor was trying to make is that my aikido needs to be tested at as near full speed uke and I could safely get.
This sounds like the Dojo i should have walked into. If it was, i'd probably still be there now. Is this style of Aikido what some people refer to as the "sport" aikido? sorry if i sound dumb on this, i know nothing of it. Someone else suggested this to me as well. I may have a peek at that as well in the future.
Quote:
William Oakes wrote: View Post
Aikido has such a high attrition rate something like 9 out of 10 quit in 1 st year. It is no of surprise that threads like this get created..
The time i was there i lost count of the amount of people who came and went, seriously. Although i'm not sure how many other martial arts this applies to. But, some are local people i speak to and they explain their reasons for leaving, and they are the same as mine, except they were sensible enough to leave early. Where i plodded on, stubbornly. Once guy said "to much philosophy, sticks and wrist grabs i just want to stop someone taking a swing at me" He does Krav now.

Just to end it, Here is something important i feel. I would rather take on an opponent who is insisting on a fight, with my few months of Krav training right now, then i ever would with my Two Years of Aikido. And i really am sorry to say that, but it's my expierience. It's not even about the Krav, change krav to Boxing, Muay Thai, Tae Kwondo etc. It's just the Aikido...or zzz my aikido. Not saying i would defeat this oppenent, chances are i wouldn't but i can guarantee personally i'd have a damn better chance then i would waiting around to throw a wrist lock or Iriminage on the guy.

Cheers...sorry bout the long post. I dont get as much internet time as i'd like. And thanks guys for the discussion.

Last edited by Daniel Ranger-Holt : 01-14-2008 at 02:20 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:06 AM   #110
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

Quote:
Daniel Ranger-Holt wrote: View Post
I announced i was leaving to see if any others had the same feelings as i, and to almost help me as to if i was making the right choice. I'm not stubborn enough to disregard opinions of those who have had much more expierience than me. Of course i want to find other options rather then leaving, i spent two years three times a week.
I agree that you should leave Aikido, or at least whatever Aikido dojo you're studying at now. It is obviously not meeting your needs.
Quote:
Wouldn't you want to seek other peoples opinions, who have more expirience than yourself before leaving a martial art??
Actually, no. I would seek information from those more experienced before starting the martial art. When I leave I just leave as the decision has been made.
Quote:
some people agreeing with me. Of course i know many people see Aikido as more than a form of self defence and almost a religion or something.
Not sure if you're referring to me here, but it's not a religion for us. In fact we are probably one of the most un-philosophical Aikido methods around. However I will severely question anyone who makes incorrect blanket claims about something that I take very seriously.
Quote:
As for the point of my thread, you got it right, the Aikido i have been taught, and the Aikido i have seen. Including countless videos, is not the art for me. It's great self defence when your being attacked on the mat...but i find the Aikido i have seen. (Thousands of videos of dojos all around the world online, about 15 dvd's and Casettes) wouldn't work for real.
Sad that the world of today lets video, tapes and youtube replace what could be found out using common sense (which of course is not so common). Everyone I know, including myself, who have used any martial art or just pure survival instinct to survive when seriously attacked off the mat did not have a camera available at the time to film anything. Many will never know what the dynamics of any of the conflicts were, except for personal reports and evidence of the scars and bruises. Of course these same ones who do not know and have not been there will assume a lot about what training method is or is not good for self defence, regardless of what actually did work. Interesting that. I've personally found Aikido easier to apply in the street since (unlike Uke in the dojo) I really don't worry too much about keeping my attacker safe - that is almost entirely up to him.
Quote:
Unless, im finding now, it's drastically different, or other martial art techniques are blended in with that Aikido.
It can be drastically different depending on the school and teacher you train with. From my own experience there are maybe 4 major schools of Aikido that could teach someone to viably defend himself. Within these schools you may find maybe 1 in 10 persons have actually had to use the art in an actual conflict. So the pickings of Aikidoka who are both experienced in and train in a method that is conducive to real world self defence is very slim imho. But when you find them you experience an Aikido that is quite formidable as a combat system and there are no doubts about effectiveness. And no, though many may believe this, one does not need to mix in outside techniques to have it work well. But this is an even rarer creature to find imho. From my own experience one can be trained to defend oneself using Aikido or any other method in a 16-hour weekend course, but the method needs to address issues that are critical to self defence and nothing else.
Quote:
Of course many people say "at our dojo we train FOR REAL our techniques work" then that's fine, but then it becomes less about Aikido and much more specific to the instructor who is teaching that Aikido and then..is it Aikido??
You'll find that almost everything about the Aikido you learn comes down to the Instructor. The rest is up to you. Whether it's Aikido or not really depends on whether your Instructor actually knows Aikido and more importantly how to apply its principles to actual combat in this case.
Quote:
It's a lot more easier to find something that does what it says on the tin, then hunting down rare dojos who actually teach the kind of Aikido i would be looking for. If it's anything close to what i've been taught or seen, then it's not for me.
From what you have said, the martial Aikido schools will probably not look anything like what you have seen, but they will be Aikido as long as the principles are there. I agree that it is easier to find something that does what is says on the tin. However what no one tells you is that what's in the tin only tastes good if you know how to prepare it well.
Quote:
Also harry i have never seen a real punch ever neatrilised by a shinage or yonko etc, ever. And i've watcher a lot of Aikido. Is this traditional Aikido you train in? or something else.
Not sure if you're still talking to me but if you are, the name is Larry.

The thing is one does not attempt to make the technique work on a particular attack (i.e. force the technique upon the attacker), but rather the technique must match the energy and direction of the attack for it to make sense. Shihonage can work with a "real punch" (I'm assuming this to be something like a hook/sucker punch), but that has more to do with how one sets up the waza and breaks the attacker's balance. A lot depends on how you evade the initial attack and then use your new position to break the balance of the attacker and use his momentum to assist your waza. If you're working against his motion then any waza will be difficult.
Quote:
If it is traditional Aikido, then i guess i have been trained wrong. Personally, ive watched a LOT of aikido, and i belive it's as simple as the aikido. It's just not nice to admit it. Took me a while to.
Not sure what you refer to as "traditional". What we do is Shodokan (the "sport" Aikido you referred to) it involves a lot of training against a person who fully resists and fights back, so one quickly learns what works and why it works. As far as "traditional" goes, though we are not Aikikai, the Aikido that we practice is an evolution of what existed in the very early days of Aikido's development (i.e. very similar to Daito Ryu Aikijujtsu as taught by Ueshiba M.)
Quote:
And no i didnt start aikido to learn bouncer protection. I decided to become a bouncer about a year and half in. I learned Aikido because something happened for me to want to protect myself. Obviously the job came along and then i thought it would be suited for Aikido. But found personally it wasn't.
My apologies for an incorrect assumption. However I beg you to take a look at the author mentioned in my first post. It may shed some light on things - Bouncer's Guide To Barroom Brawling: Dealing With The Sucker Puncher, Streetfighter, And Ambusher and Real Fighting: Adrenaline Stress Conditioning Through Scenario-Based Training. There is some very good information in those pages regarding working as a bouncer as well as facing real life attacks, regardless of the method you train in. The interesting part is that all of the major bouncers in this book, including the author practice a very martial system of Aikido and other MA.

Regards.
LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 01-14-2008, 09:59 AM   #111
lbb
United_States

Quote:
The time i was there i lost count of the amount of people who came and went, seriously. Although i'm not sure how many other martial arts this applies to.
I observed it in three other styles, and I suspect it applies to every martial art worthy of the name -- that is, any style that's sticking to what it is, and isn't using gimmicks to retain students. Not making a value judgment here about who goes for it and who doesn't, but real martial arts will always be a minority taste. There's just too much repetition and too much practice, practice, practice. The average person nowadays doesn't want endless practice, and they want instant gratification and instant "mastery" which (okay, here's where I DO make a value judgment) probably explains the relative popularity of stuff like Guitar Hero vs. playing a real guitar, or a "martial arts" videogame vs. the real thing. Besides this, martial arts are time-consuming and not terribly convenient. In order to keep martial arts in your life, you have to be wired in a way that most people are just not wired nowadays.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:35 AM   #112
antonis paps

Greece

everyone worries what will happen in a real fighting situation..
well..i 've been there.. the truth is you cant tell..
and even if you do krav manga or something like that..
you will only feel better...but you wont be
you get better with experience..and thats the way it is
either you do boxing, .. aikido or whatever

Τὰ πάντα ῥεῖ , What Flows, Is.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:53 AM   #113
justin
United Kingdom

i get the feeling you enjoyed your aikido however it doesnt tick the right boxes for your work, how about doing both something for your work, and something you enjoy aikido

just a thought
Old 10-05-2010, 08:38 AM   #114
nagoyajoe

Dojo: Kokikai Hombu Shushinkan Dojo, Nagoya
Japan

Quote:
Andrew Riegle wrote: View Post
I bet you're fun at parties.
You have no idea!

何よりもわかりやすいことは
自分も死ぬ人間のひとである。
(金子大栄)
Old 10-05-2010, 10:13 AM   #115
mickeygelum

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States

Quote:
Daniel Ranger-Holt wrote: I'm Leaving Aikido
BYE !

Quote:
Not making a value judgment here about who goes for it and who doesn't, but real martial arts will always be a minority taste. There's just too much repetition and too much practice, practice, practice. The average person nowadays doesn't want endless practice, and they want instant gratification and instant "mastery" which (okay, here's where I DO make a value judgment) probably explains the relative popularity of stuff like Guitar Hero vs. playing a real guitar, or a "martial arts" videogame vs. the real thing. Besides this, martial arts are time-consuming and not terribly convenient. In order to keep martial arts in your life, you have to be wired in a way that most people are just not wired nowadays.
I agree, I have stated the same to others many times.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:58 AM   #116
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Sorry, couldn't resist. Been guilty of it myself a few times...

Old 10-05-2010, 12:19 PM   #117
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post

Sorry, couldn't resist. Been guilty of it myself a few times...
Keith:

Due you have a problem with resurrection? [Don't take the bait Luke Skywalker]

Marc Abrams
Old 10-05-2010, 12:36 PM   #118
lbb
United_States

Well, it is October.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #119
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Due you have a problem with resurrection? [Don't take the bait Luke Skywalker]
What type? Christian? Hindu reincarnation? Nietzsche's eternal recurrence? ...

Nah, will resist.

No one has ever called me Luke. I have been called Anakin quite a few times though. "I declare, whatever do they mean?" I say with the most innocent looking face I can fake...

Old 10-07-2010, 03:52 AM   #120
CarlRylander

The idea of Aikido is so good that a lot of people would stick with it, I guess. Wiki says it's just gone a bit sloppy.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:24 PM   #121
Icekler
Dojo: Aikido Monterrey Aikikai A.C.
Mexico

Even if you stayed in aikido, I would tell you that way of thinking isn't going to get you anywhere. Besides, you're a beginner yet, you don't truthfully understand what it is to use aikido. You seem to be searching for other things that you won't find here, but you didn't seem to find all that can be found here.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #122
Michael Neal

oy vei
Old 10-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #123
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Freaking Cylons are at it again!

William Hazen