Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Seminars

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
PhillyKiAikido

Dojo: Philadelphia Ki-Aikido / New Jersey Ki Society
United_States
"51 years of Aikido: how the art has progress" Terry Pierce (7th Dan Ki Society)

"51 years of Aikido: how the art has progressed"

Pierce sensei will share his over five decades of Aikido experiences in this seminar. It's open to all martial artists, regardless of rank or affiliation.

Time: Sunday April 3rd, 2011, 9am-5pm
Email: phillykiaikido@gmail.com
Fees: $50 ($30 for full-time students)(cash only) lunch included
For more information please check http://www.njks.org.

Terry Pierce Sensei
Chief Instructor New Jersey Ki Society
7th Degree Blackbelt (Shinshin Toitsu Aikido)
Okuden, Shinshin Toitsudo (Ki development)
Full Lecturer for the International Ki Society

He has been training in Aikido and a loyal student of Koichi Tohei sensei (10th degree blackbelt in Aikido) for 51 years.
In 1960, he began studying Aikido and later co-founded the N.J. Aikikai in Merchantville, N.J.
In 1968, he became the Chief Instructor of the South Jersey Aikikai on Long Beach Island, N.J.
In 1974, he founded the N.J. Ki Society in Riverton, N.J.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PKA20110403Seminar.pdf (558.9 KB, 41 views)
Old 03-15-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: "51 years of Aikido: how the art has progress" Terry Pierce (7th Dan Ki Society)

I doubt that Pierce Sensei remembers me, but I had the distinct pleasure of taking a class from him at a seminar, and taking some warm up (!!!) ukemi from him at a Friendship seminar.

As my first real experience with Ki Aikido, Pierce Sensei impressed me greatly. I cannot say enough good things about him, and would greatly recommend anyone from any style in the area to attend your seminar.

Best,
Ron

Last edited by Ron Tisdale : 03-15-2011 at 10:26 AM.

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 03-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
PhillyKiAikido

United_States
Re: "51 years of Aikido: how the art has progress" Terry Pierce (7th Dan Ki Society)

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
I doubt that Pierce Sensei remembers me, but I had the distinct pleasure of taking a class from him at a seminar, and taking some warm up (!!!) ukemi from him at a Friendship seminar.

As my first real experience with Ki Aikido, Pierce Sensei impressed me greatly. I cannot say enough good things about him, and would greatly recommend anyone from any style in the area to attend your seminar.

Best,
Ron
Ron,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with Pierce sensei. I think Pierce sensei will recognize you when he meets you. With your first hand experience, I think you know how easy it's for him to lead and move the uke with Ki.

As you may already know, Pierce sensei started Aikido in 1960 and until in 1974 he founded the N.J. Ki Society, he had trained in Aikikai for 14 years and got all his ranks from 6th kyu to 3rd dan. When I told him that I read in this forum that a lot of Aikidokas are seeking to "bring Aiki back to Aikido" by going to some other martial arts to study the Internal Power/Ki, he said the Internal Power/Ki training had always been a critical part of Aikido curricula during his time in Aikikai, it's sad to see that critical part had been banned or lost in today's mainstream Aikido trainings. He hoped to have an opportunity to walk through the Aikido of the last a couple of decades with the current Aikido students, so the current students get a chance to see how their teachers or even their teachers' teachers were trained in Aikido, that should serve a big help for the current students to pass the art to the next generation.

So in this seminar, Pierce sensei will share with us what he has witnessed of how and why the art of Aikido has changed in the last 50 years. While watching the "from wrestling to dancing" evolution of the art of Aikido, it's also a good opportunity for us current Aikidoka to think of what we missed and how our own Aikido would/should change throughout our Aikido journey.

This seminar is open to all martial artists. The purpose of this seminar is not for profit but for a service to the Aikido community in Philadelphia area.

Are you with Utada sensei at the Henry Street? Pierce sensei and Utada sensei are friends, he demonstated at Utada sensei's 25 years anniversary seminar in 1999. If you were there, you should have met my sempais Bill Orwat and Bengt Lindblad. Hope to have a chance to train with you sometime in the future.

Enjoy Aikido!

Ting
Old 03-21-2011, 01:59 AM   #4
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Ting Piao wrote: View Post
As you may already know, Pierce sensei started Aikido in 1960 and until in 1974 he founded the N.J. Ki Society, he had trained in Aikikai for 14 years and got all his ranks from 6th kyu to 3rd dan. When I told him that I read in this forum that a lot of Aikidokas are seeking to "bring Aiki back to Aikido" by going to some other martial arts to study the Internal Power/Ki, he said the Internal Power/Ki training had always been a critical part of Aikido curricula during his time in Aikikai, it's sad to see that critical part had been banned or lost in today's mainstream Aikido trainings.
I've never met him, so I can't say that what he's doing is the same as what the "internal power" advocates are doing. Of course, he can't say that either, unless he's met them, and the above seems to imply that he hasn't.

The "we already do it" answer seems pretty common - in people who haven't actually met up with those guys yet. I will say that I've trained with a lot of Ki Society people - all the way up to the top, and it didn't seem to me like the same thing at all, although there are, of course, overlaps and similarities.

Best,

Chris

Old 03-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Quote:
Are you with Utada sensei at the Henry Street? Pierce sensei and Utada sensei are friends, he demonstated at Utada sensei's 25 years anniversary seminar in 1999. If you were there, you should have met my sempais Bill Orwat and Bengt Lindblad.
Yes, Yes, and yes...that is where I had the good fortune to take the warm up ukemi! We were worried that they might not make it, so we let Pierce Sense bounce us around just in case they didn't make it. Oh what fun!

On the "we already do it" topic...i see no real need to go there, as much as I respect Chris (and perhaps agree with him to some extent). I am willing to simply look at each thing for what it offers. If I bring them together, that's up to me.

Best,
Ron (hope to at least drop by the seminar, nursing a bad knee (15 CCs of yellow icky fluid out...healing begins from now! KWATZ!!))

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 03-28-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
PhillyKiAikido

United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
Yes, Yes, and yes...that is where I had the good fortune to take the warm up ukemi! We were worried that they might not make it, so we let Pierce Sense bounce us around just in case they didn't make it. Oh what fun!

(hope to at least drop by the seminar, nursing a bad knee (15 CCs of yellow icky fluid out...healing begins from now! KWATZ!!))
Ron,

They've talked many times about how much they enjoyed that seminar. They said they met many big shots of Yoshinkan in that seminar, that was almost a Who Is Who of Yoshinkan.

Yeah being bounced is the feeling that I got too from Ki-Aikido. Tohei sensei knows his students are not smart enough, so he taught the simple way, just asked us to remember "up and down".

Hope your knee is getting better. I told my sempais about you, you're very welcome to drop by. If you can't be on the mat with us, you're welcome to watch and hang out with people.

Thanks!

Ting
Old 03-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
PhillyKiAikido

United_States

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
I've never met him, so I can't say that what he's doing is the same as what the "internal power" advocates are doing. Of course, he can't say that either, unless he's met them, and the above seems to imply that he hasn't.

The "we already do it" answer seems pretty common - in people who haven't actually met up with those guys yet. I will say that I've trained with a lot of Ki Society people - all the way up to the top, and it didn't seem to me like the same thing at all, although there are, of course, overlaps and similarities.

Best,

Chris
Hi Chris,

Thanks a lot for your input. I have to admit that I don't know much about the popular "Internal Power". My understanding is that it refers to the training of Ki/Chi/Qi/internal energy, no matter how they are described. If that's not the case, I apologize for my ignorance, then I would question why it's called "internal".

Since you have exposed to both, I wonder if you can do me a big favor to make a comparision of the two, the similarity and difference both in forms/training methods and in nature. That would be a good education for me, you can either post here or PM me.

BTW, thanks for the great work for organizing the Aikido Celebration 2011.

Thanks!

Ting
Old 03-28-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Ting Piao wrote: View Post
Hi Chris,

Thanks a lot for your input. I have to admit that I don't know much about the popular "Internal Power". My understanding is that it refers to the training of Ki/Chi/Qi/internal energy, no matter how they are described. If that's not the case, I apologize for my ignorance, then I would question why it's called "internal".

Since you have exposed to both, I wonder if you can do me a big favor to make a comparision of the two, the similarity and difference both in forms/training methods and in nature. That would be a good education for me, you can either post here or PM me.

BTW, thanks for the great work for organizing the Aikido Celebration 2011.

Thanks!

Ting
Of course there are people who have some of the outer form, but not much of the inner workings (I'm not saying that this is or is not the case here). My general impression would be that Tohei (if we're using him as the example) never went as far down the path that the the people we're usually talking about have, and that his methodology is not nearly as detailed or rational as what they're doing.

Just my opinion...

Chris

Old 03-29-2011, 11:54 PM   #9
PhillyKiAikido

United_States

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
Of course there are people who have some of the outer form, but not much of the inner workings (I'm not saying that this is or is not the case here). My general impression would be that Tohei (if we're using him as the example) never went as far down the path that the the people we're usually talking about have, and that his methodology is not nearly as detailed or rational as what they're doing.

Just my opinion...

Chris
Chris,

"Of course there are people who have some of the outer form, but not much of the inner workings", that's a good point.

Thanks very much for sharing your honest opinion, I can tell that you are a person who likes to think and learn. I totally understand your impression and the reason behind it.

As far as I know, Tohei sensei's Ki training methodology was mainly from Yoga and Misogi, it's different from the traditional Chinese/Japanese internal martial arts Ki training. I had exposed to some of the Chinese internal trainings long before I heard the word "Aikido". When I started with Ki Society, I truely doubted how much Tohei sensei knows about Ki since the Ki Society's training "is not nearly as detailed or rational" as what I knew it should be. Well, after over ten years watching and studying in Ki Society, now I have to admit Tohei sensei knows, uses and teaches exactly the same Ki/Qi/Chi/Internal Energy as any other masters (I've known) do.

Tohei sensei's methodology is different from what I've seen, that opens a door for me to think about the nature of Yoga, Zen and other arts and religions. "All roads lead to Rome."

Though comparing to OSensei's methodology, Tohei sensei's Ki teaching is a lot more detailed, it's still true that his teaching is abstract and hard to follow. In my humble opinion, the true knowledge of Ki is difficult to learn because it's invisible, untouchable and opposite to our common sense (if our sense can be called "common"). In order to help their students understand and learn about Ki, teachers throughout the martial arts history have been utilizing some tools such as Silk-Reeling which can help the students to enter the door of the internal world. Once the students enter, the tools are not necessary. But some teachers such as OSensei and Tohei sensei teach directly without using many popular tools or just using their own tools such as prayers, misogi, breathing or Kokyu-Ho, etc. It may be difficult and time-consuming for their students to learn it, but once they learn it, they are already on a high level. Do OSensei and Tohei know the Silking-Reeling? The question should be "Do they need it?"

I'm not defending or representing any one, it's just my own opinion at this moment, I'm still learning. I appreciate the opportunity to exchange ideas and thoughts about Aikido with you on this forum.

Enjoy Aikido!

Ting

Last edited by PhillyKiAikido : 03-29-2011 at 11:58 PM.