Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Aikijo

Hi. Here is a video of me teaching some basics of the jo.

Before you think of the normal videos and demonstrations of Aikiken or Aikijo let me point out that this one is not what you would generally expect.

First I teach students to get to know the jo, to feel the flow of the jo, to move it in harmony with Aiki motion, to eventually have it as part of self.

You could say this is the part of Aikijo called being with the jo.

The uke is not very experienced at all which as you know can make things simpler or more awkward but as I said it is a video of teaching some basics.

Hope you like. G.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbMLEEAsz3s
Old 01-09-2011, 07:13 AM   #2
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom
Re: Aikijo

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Hi. Here is a video of me teaching some basics of the jo.

Before you think of the normal videos and demonstrations of Aikiken or Aikijo let me point out that this one is not what you would generally expect.

First I teach students to get to know the jo, to feel the flow of the jo, to move it in harmony with Aiki motion, to eventually have it as part of self.

You could say this is the part of Aikijo called being with the jo.

The uke is not very experienced at all which as you know can make things simpler or more awkward but as I said it is a video of teaching some basics.

Hope you like. G.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbMLEEAsz3s
Sorry Graham, but I don't see much ukemi in your practice.... I just wonder if you are just teaching "ki" and not "aikido" whooooops I meant "aijudo"

Last edited by Tony Wagstaffe : 01-09-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
Cliff Judge
Japan

So do you think of the jo as a weapon, or is it something else for you?
Old 01-09-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Cliff Judge wrote: View Post
Ha ha haha aha ha ha ha aha ha haa .... oh dear I've just peee'd myself
Old 01-10-2011, 07:38 AM   #5
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England

Quote:
There is some good Kayak movement there.

Henry Ellis
http://aikidoarticles.blogspot.com/
Old 01-10-2011, 07:45 AM   #6
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
There is some good Kayak movement there.
I'd call it lilydipping myself
Old 01-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Nice Try Graham...Keep looking and learning.

William Hazen
Old 01-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
Hellis
England

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
I'd call it lilydipping myself
Little chance of getting splashed

Henry Ellis
Old 01-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #9
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Smile Re: Aikijo

Quote:
Dear Cliff,
If a jo is not potentially a weapon[in this instance ]what else would you say a jo was?You could say a jo could assist you as a walking aid,maybe a rough guide as a measuring stick,a replacement for
tent pole? I am sure you even saw it in two and make imitation escrima sticks?Other uses come to my fevered mind--a resting pole for tired feathered friends/ perhaps a spare part for a prosthetic limb a la Long John Silver?
Have you other uses for a jo?Do you see a jo as a metaphysical object?
Cheers , Joe,
Ps I apologise in advance to anybody with walking difficulties, people with no tape measures, boy scouts/ escrima chaps/pigeons and Long John Silver impersonators[and of course our readers].
Old 01-11-2011, 04:09 PM   #10
graham christian
England

Quote:
Hi Cliff.
Your question did hit home, thank you.

The answer is really in two parts. Firstly I can and have seen it as a weapon, in training and outside of training complete with bruises and accidental damage caused. So contrary to what some may think I have no problem with using it as such, watching others use it as such whether in another martial art or the various Aikido styles.
You could say I used it recently as a weapon when doing some security in a pub. Actually it was a pool cue about to be used like a club to batter someone being held by two idiots. I grabbed the end and pulled it down to waist level spinning the guy round to face me. I was in a good place at the time and so came out with a bit of a wise crack saying to the guy not to use it until he knows how. He gave a few expletives and pulled the other end of the cue to try and take it from me. It was too perfect. I moved foreward with his own force, extended through the cue and did a quick hard nikkyo with it's end and he hit the floor hard.

His friends were too busy laughing at him for a moment which allowed me to then use that opening to diffuse the situation.

To me I thrust through like a spear and then cut like a sword, thats just how see it.

So that doesn't mean now I see it just as a weapon as I see it as a tool of Aiki.

In fact I see it as a friend, a dancing partner.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:30 AM   #11
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Hi Cliff.

The answer is really in two parts. Firstly I can and have seen it as a weapon, in training and outside of training complete with bruises and accidental damage caused. So contrary to what some may think I have no problem with using it as such, watching others use it as such whether in another martial art or the various Aikido styles.
You could say I used it recently as a weapon when doing some security in a pub. Actually it was a pool cue about to be used like a club to batter someone being held by two idiots. I grabbed the end and pulled it down to waist level spinning the guy round to face me. I was in a good place at the time and so came out with a bit of a wise crack saying to the guy not to use it until he knows how. He gave a few expletives and pulled the other end of the cue to try and take it from me. It was too perfect. I moved foreward with his own force, extended through the cue and did a quick hard nikkyo with it's end and he hit the floor hard.

His friends were too busy laughing at him for a moment which allowed me to then use that opening to diffuse the situation.

To me I thrust through like a spear and then cut like a sword, thats just how see it.

So that doesn't mean now I see it just as a weapon as I see it as a tool of Aiki.

Yeh...... so are mops......

I generally go to the dance club to learn dancing, and a night club (not now ) If I want to dance like an ape.....
Old 01-12-2011, 02:48 AM   #12
Hellis
England

Quote:
Hi Cliff.

Graham

There are advantages to such a girl friend, never answers back, she will watch your choice of TV programmes, doesn't drink, so cheap to take out, at the end of the evening stick her where she belongs in the broom cupboard....could catch on ........

Henry Ellis
Old 01-12-2011, 04:38 AM   #13
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Sometimes a stick is just a stick.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #14
Cliff Judge
Japan

Quote:
Hi Cliff.

It sounds as though you feel it is hazardous? I don't intend any disrespect with this comment. Your anecdote is one where uke has the jo. You describe teaching students to be with the jo. You describe it as a partner. I'm simply saying you don't seem to regard it as an extension of yourself in the way that a weapon must be.

I'm very clumsy with the jo myself, but I've made a lot of progress with the sword lately. I can tell you that kata training, assiduously, under the tutelage of a good instructor DOES work wonders with regards to weapons. As your level of comfort and proficiency increase, it opens new doors for expression of your Aikido.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:13 PM   #15
graham christian
England

Quote:
It sounds as though you feel it is hazardous? I don't intend any disrespect with this comment. Your anecdote is one where uke has the jo. You describe teaching students to be with the jo. You describe it as a partner. I'm simply saying you don't seem to regard it as an extension of yourself in the way that a weapon must be.

I'm very clumsy with the jo myself, but I've made a lot of progress with the sword lately. I can tell you that kata training, assiduously, under the tutelage of a good instructor DOES work wonders with regards to weapons. As your level of comfort and proficiency increase, it opens new doors for expression of your Aikido.
Thank you Cliff. Hazardouse? No. Seeing it as an extension of self- yes. As I've said in previous thread one of the principles I practice is to 'be with' hence the exercises in the video. Only when you're comfortable with and comfortable moving with and striking with does it become part of you. Thus an extension of yourself. This principle applies to all weapons and even learning to drive a car does it not? At first you feel separate to it, then you gradually get used to it until it is like an extension of you. That's all the video was designed to show.

Kata done with any weapon to me have the same purpose, that of you and your body getting used to those actions until the movements become smooth and easy. Again no different to any other activity where you drill a movement over and over again. There are finger drills done in learning the piano.

So from this viewpoint I can do certain numbered moves from a kata, all well and good, but they may not be enough for me or I may prefer to concentrate on one particular part and keep practicing that one until comfortable. For example I may practice cutting from tai-sabake over and over etc. So I think I agree with your view there.

If I'm reading you correctly you seem to imply that I see weapons not as weapons which in one way is true.

I practice being attacked by a weapon, lets say someone thrusting through with the jo. At first of course to me it is a very dangerouse situation and I feel tense just being in that position. Then no different to what happens in practicing kata as I get used to it and the ways of moving and taking the jo and executing techniques from that I of course get more comfortable and more proficient. Now I personally find that the principles I use in normal Aikido or empty hand if you like, when applied to the receiving of the attack are exactly the same, or at least that's my aim. So I welcome the attack and move to be with it rather than against it and doing it this way works for me.

So by moving to be with rather than against it with the feeling of welcoming it makes the significance of it's danger dissappear, makes the motion more in tune with Aiki etc. At those times it feels like it's not my enemy at all it's just part of me coming back to me. This is how it is to me rightly or wrongly. Of course I am not saying that makes it easy or that lot's of practice on all the variables isn't needed.

Finally, as you say you found you are a bit clumsy with the jo I can only say that for me personally I found that moving my center to align with the center of the jo made it much more comfortable for me.

Regards.G.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:27 PM   #16
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Kata done with any weapon to me have the same purpose, that of you and your body getting used to those actions until the movements become smooth and easy. Again no different to any other activity where you drill a movement over and over again. There are finger drills done in learning the piano.
That's not my understanding of what kata are for -- what you describe is more what I'd call kihon training. Kata are encounters, whether or not there's actually another person there. That's what it's about: the encounter.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #17
Janet Rosen

Hmmm ... Interesting semantic distinction and one I think we discussed a bit in another thread... FWIW, I see kata as a way to first develop "muscle memory" for correct movement, posture, timing, intent, etc then with more experience to start exploring deeper layers of how subtle body changes affect things.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 01-13-2011, 01:38 AM   #18
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
I see kata more as études.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:20 AM   #19
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
I like that analogy!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 01-13-2011, 03:49 PM   #20
graham christian
England

Solid proof. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-fT4fcLulk

Sensei Yogi, yellowstone park.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #21
C. David Henderson
United_States

Well, the bear is pretty good. For a bear. Why is it always animals?

David Henderson
Old 01-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #22
Carl Thompson

Japan

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Nice!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89tude
Old 01-15-2011, 09:55 AM   #23
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:

Dear Graham ,
If indeed this video is genuine I suggest you try and enlist the aid of the bear to instruct everyone at your dojo.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #24
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:

Hi Graham,

That bear looks like it's had a lot of practice!

I particularlylike the way in which it seems so relaxed with the 'jo' and the fact that, the way it's paws are, it is unable to grip the wood, which I see is a real plus to the flowing movements that it is generating. Good clip.

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #25
graham christian
England

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear Graham ,
If indeed this video is genuine I suggest you try and enlist the aid of the bear to instruct everyone at your dojo.
Dear Joe, It's just those bear necessities, forget about your worries and your strife.........