Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Websites

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-26-2000, 09:58 PM   #1
Kevin
Dojo: Aiki Zenshin Dojo, Aikido of Fremont
United_States
Cool

Please tell me what I can do to make my website much better. Any ideas? Maybe one day, I will be able to get a Yahoo Award just like AikiWeb.

Kevin
Old 07-28-2000, 06:08 AM   #2
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Suggestions...

Hi!

I took a tour on your aikiod-site and I think you are on the right path. I do however have a few suggestions:

1. Let's have some more comments on the pictures. Some of them have nice explanations, but some of them stand all by them self which renders them a little less interesting.

2. I can't seem to be able to get the enlarged version of the pictures - not even using your suggested method. (I'm using a PC with NT and MS Internet Explorer 5.5)

3. Personally I would loose the flaming letters - but that's a matter of my subjectively opinion and taste.

4. Why not include a membersection with pictures and stats on all club members - well at least those who can be considered as steady members.

5. You could include directions to the dojo, and information about who to contact for a trail-lesson or a visit.

I hope some of this can give you some inspiration - and I hope you will have fun expanding your site.

Best regards

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 07-30-2000, 07:56 PM   #3
Erik
Quote:
Kevin wrote:
Please tell me what I can do to make my website much better. Any ideas? Maybe one day, I will be able to get a Yahoo Award just like AikiWeb.

Kevin
Quick suggestions would be to nuke the advertising. All of it.

Then I'd nuke the framage. Although, if you nuke the amazon ad, you could then remove the sliding bar which would make the site look better. Personally, I'd just get rid of it.

Lastly, I'd move the site off geocities if I could. One option might be http://www.freeservers.com who will host a site free of ads for $5.95/mo. I have a site there that gets blasted with the ads (I'm too cheap and for what that particular site does it's fine). Their service is pretty decent and I may be moving another site to them fairly soon.

.02 and worth every penny.
Old 08-04-2000, 09:04 PM   #4
Kevin
United_States
Smile

Thanks Everyone for all the tips.
My site is under remodeling. It no longer has the black background and frames. I still need some help fixing up my site. Any neat java or html codes would help. It would really help if someone could tell me how to make a navigation bar like the one to the right without messing the text.
<--------------
Thanks
Kevin
website is http://www.aikidouniverse.com
Old 08-04-2000, 11:31 PM   #5
Erik
Quote:
Kevin wrote:
Thanks Everyone for all the tips.
My site is under remodeling. It no longer has the black background and frames. I still need some help fixing up my site. Any neat java or html codes would help. It would really help if someone could tell me how to make a navigation bar like the one to the right without messing the text.
<--------------
Thanks
Kevin
website is http://www.aikidouniverse.com
I don't understand what you mean by the one to the right? Usually navigation bars are contained in a table so you move the table to the right (or split the cell), throw your images in and bingo everything is happy. You don't need fancy html or anything. I noticed you were using Front Page which is certainly capable of this.

Or do you mean something else? Something like http://www.countlessfalls.com/other/index.htm?

Otherwise, you are moving in the right direction in my opinion.

[Edited by Erik on August 5, 2000 at 02:47am]
Old 08-05-2000, 12:33 AM   #6
Axiom
Dojo: TC Aikido Center
Unhappy Please no entrance page!!!

Sorry, but entrance pages our my biggest websurfing pet peeve. I, like many other people I know(especially the more technologically savvy...not neccessarily correlated) like to open as many windows as you need, and wait for them to load. This doesn't work terribly well when you have to wait for the entrance page to load, then you have to click it, and then wait for further loading. Throws off your timing and websurfing groove. And its unnecessary, unless it has some sort of information on it that is vital to viewing the rest of the page.

Next, picture galleries #1 and #2, as linked to from the navbar, seem a bit odd, personally. Each one of those galleries being divided into several other galleries makes the purpose seem kind of moot. Is there perhaps a more technical reason behind this? I'm not very into webdesign(if only you could do it entirely in asm or C++!<G>...sort of sad when you're better at those than at HTML...), so I wouldn't know.

One other suggestion, mostly echoing an earlier posting- get rid of the amazon banner. Its rather incongruous, and there are much better places to search for bargains on books, such as http://www.asces.com
, that aren't quite so ubiquitous. And it'd be nice if you could get some of those banners side by side, instead of vertical.

Otherwise, it seems nice. I'd provide more competent feedback in netscape was a bit more stable, but its having a bit of trouble with this 'working correctly" thing. I would get rid of the flaming letters, too, and instead use that nifty animated Gif you have as a link to your site(though perhaps, instead of doing it letter by letter, do the two letter transliterations at a time "Ai" then "Ki" then "Do")

Also, yet another suggestion- perhaps aikido universe is a rather generic name for a rather specific site. Your site seems to be for a particular dojo, but the name sounds like it'd be a site somewhat similar to aikiweb- ie, not affiliated with anything specific(other than, of course aikido), but rather a general look at the whole subject. You might want to change your name tho something else. Though having grabbed that domain name might be a good idea, whether you want to squat on it, or prevent others from doing so.

Anyway, I suppose I'm not that good a judge of websites, not making them myself(if you want a good laugh, you can visit mine(though it has nothing on aikido yet) at http://www.geocities.com/pjpii_2000/ )
Have a nice day, and sorry if this seems to critical
Alex Magidow

_________
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind
-- Gandhi
Old 08-05-2000, 10:32 PM   #7
Kevin
United_States
Talking

Hey Everybody,

Thanks for the comments.
Just too let you know. I have just remodelled my site.

Here are the new stuff.

*No more frames. Hip Hip Hooray.
*No more Amazon Banner. Boo for me but I did move it somewhere else so it would be annoying.
*New white background. No more dark pages.
*I fixed the text alignment.

Now for the bad stuff.

Some pages are still black. :{ On purpose of course.
I am only 75% done.

Well thanks for your comments,
Kevin
http://www.aikidouniverse.com