Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 11:58 AM   #226
Will Prusner

Dojo: AikiSpirit Dojo
United_States
Re: Resisting Aikido Shihan

Quote:
Giancarlo DiPierro wrote: View Post
There are basically three ways you can train with a sword. The first is solo forms usually done with an iaito or shinken. The second is paired kata usually done with a bokken. The third is freestyle training usually done with a shinai while wearing bogu. In the solo forms you can work on the same body skills that are useful in paired practice, but obviously without the ability to feel what another person is doing. In kata training you can work on feeling how to respond in certain ways to a partner who is providing a set attack. In freestyle training you can work on how to apply what you have learned in the first two exercises against an opponent working under the same rules you are.

For me, sword work is an auxiliary practice. I've developed some of my own basic paired kata work and I also practice and teach a traditional style of iaido. For freestyle training a kendo dojo is a good place to start, although if I were to start seriously teaching all three forms together I probably would not focus on the IKF's method of freestyle training. Still, their organization is an excellent reference point for freestyle sword work because, unlike in aikido, the high-level people have succeeded under a rigorous and competitive freestyle training and testing regimen.

If you cross swords (or shinai, at least) with a kendo 8-dan he should have no problem at all striking you at will while preventing you from striking him. And if you do get off a clean hit on him while preventing him from hitting you, there will be no excuses made after the fact that he couldn't do the "real" kendo on you because he didn't want to hurt you or you weren't worthy or some other BS. Like teachers in many other arts, but apparently not aikido, kendo players can and do back up their claims of superior skill in a freestyle resistance training setting where both people are playing by the same rules.
OK, although I still don't think the generalizations apply to all teachers of any particular art.. But what I was more interested in was how and where the resistance would be applied in, particularly, a scenario like a paired partner kata with bokken. I'm just having a really hard time wrapping my mind around how that resistance could be manifested in such an exercise. Which part of the resistor's sword would be applying resistance to which part of the resistee's sword? This interests me because I see in alot of techniques that the empty handed techniques (and the principles behind them) are verified and validated when the same movements are performed with sword in hand, where they supposedly evolved from.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration...

ART! - http://birdsbeaks.blogspot.com/

Old 11-04-2007, 02:21 PM   #227
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

Quote:
William Prusner wrote: View Post
Which part of the resistor's sword would be applying resistance to which part of the resistee's sword? This interests me because I see in alot of techniques that the empty handed techniques (and the principles behind them) are verified and validated when the same movements are performed with sword in hand, where they supposedly evolved from.
Excellent point. Resistance is in the mind (not the body) as determination; you are fighting to resist the tyranny you see !

Old 11-04-2007, 04:04 PM   #228
G DiPierro
United_States

Quote:
But what I was more interested in was how and where the resistance would be applied in, particularly, a scenario like a paired partner kata with bokken. I'm just having a really hard time wrapping my mind around how that resistance could be manifested in such an exercise. Which part of the resistor's sword would be applying resistance to which part of the resistee's sword?
It depends on the movement, and the resistance is not necessarily sword-on-sword. It could be (and often is) sword-on-body. For example, in the basic movements I do in paired bokken training (technically they are not kata but dosa, although they are practiced the same way) the attacker repeats the same attack on both sides, advancing a step each time. The defender remains stationary until forced to move by the attack, at which point he steps back and receives the attack with his sword. If the attacker does not perform the attack correctly enough to force the defender to move, the defender will "resist" by holding his ground and turning his sword into the attacker to cut him as he advances. Whether the defender "resists" in this way depends on how the attacker's movement feels and whether it is being done properly enough that the defender feels like he is in imminent danger of being cut and must move to avoid that. I think it is something that I would have to show you in person for you to understand the subtleties of when to move versus not move in this kind of practice.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:26 PM   #229
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Quote:
It depends on the movement, and the resistance is not necessarily sword-on-sword. It could be (and often is) sword-on-body. For example, in the basic movements I do in paired bokken training (technically they are not kata but dosa, although they are practiced the same way) the attacker repeats the same attack on both sides, advancing a step each time. The defender remains stationary until forced to move by the attack, at which point he steps back and receives the attack with his sword. If the attacker does not perform the attack correctly enough to force the defender to move, the defender will "resist" by holding his ground and turning his sword into the attacker to cut him as he advances. Whether the defender "resists" in this way depends on how the attacker's movement feels and whether it is being done properly enough that the defender feels like he is in imminent danger of being cut and must move to avoid that. I think it is something that I would have to show you in person for you to understand the subtleties of when to move versus not move in this kind of practice.
And the Aiki in this exercise is where???

WIlliam Hazen

Old 11-04-2007, 09:20 PM   #230
dps

Quote:
Don McConnell wrote: View Post
Not sure I know where Lancaster is in Ohio, but I'm sure you know where Charlotte North Carolina is. Come train. I'm no shihan but it will be fun. Don't expect I'll see you anytime soon....suprise me though.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&cl...to&iwloc=A&f=d
http://www.lancasteraikido.com/
http://www.budoseek.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6258
Post #10
"Giancarlo DiPierro first learned aikido as a college student on the East Coast in 1996. He later studied at the New England Aikikai, the dojo of the late shihan Mitsunari Kanai, a former uchi-deshi, or apprentice student, of the founder of aikido and one of the early pioneers of American aikido. He has also practiced with many other senior instructors at dozens of seminars and through regular classes at several dojos."

Interesting threads,
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...072#post160072
\
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11374

Last edited by dps : 11-04-2007 at 09:23 PM.

Trust only movement. Life happens at the level of events not of words. Trust movement. --Alfred Adler

Old 11-04-2007, 10:33 PM   #231
Don
Dojo: aikido of charlotte

OOOOOO.....its just up the road from Circleville! My company has a plant in Circleville. I may be going there soon on a bus. trip....Maybe I'll get to go there.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:06 AM   #232
nagoyajoe

Dojo: Kokikai Hombu Shushinkan Dojo, Nagoya
Japan

I just checked the http://www.lancasteraikido.com/ site. Actually, the katakana for Lancaster is incorrect. It should read: ランカスター. No videos or pics though.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:33 AM   #233
G DiPierro
United_States

Quote:
Joseph Pielech wrote: View Post
I just checked the http://www.lancasteraikido.com/ site. Actually, the katakana for Lancaster is incorrect. It should read: ランカスター. No videos or pics though.
I suppose that is the more common rendering in katakana, although it's not really close to the way the word is pronounced here. There is a clear ur sound at the end rather than an aa. They also don't usually pronounce the second 'a' (it sounds a bit like LANK-ster), so I even thought about using ク rather than カ, but I figured that would be going too far.

Quote:
Don McConnell wrote: View Post
OOOOOO.....its just up the road from Circleville! My company has a plant in Circleville. I may be going there soon on a bus. trip....Maybe I'll get to go there.
If you are in Circleville you should definitely stop by. It's only about a half an hour drive. Despite what the website says (I need to update it), I'm not doing a regular aikido class right now, but you would be welcome to come down and train privately for an hour or two. The only thing I would ask up front is that you keep an open mind. I suspect I do a lot of things differently than you do, and since you have been doing aikido for a while you probably assume that many of the things you do are right because that is how you learned them or that is how some high-ranking teacher does them.

As far as I'm concerned, nothing I do is absolutely right, it is just the best that I know at the moment. Anything and everything is open to be thrown completely out the window whenever new evidence comes along that there is something that is better or that makes more sense. Essentially, I take a scientific approach, since this is exactly how scientists regard their own theories and understanding (at least in principle; in practice people often bet their career on an idea and then have a hard time letting go when it is proven wrong).

Old 11-05-2007, 02:59 AM   #234
Josh Reyer

Japan

Quote:
I suppose that is the more common rendering in katakana, although it's not really close to the way the word is pronounced here. There is a clear ur sound at the end rather than an aa. They also don't usually pronounce the second 'a' (it sounds a bit like LANK-ster), so I even thought about using ク rather than カ, but I figured that would be going too far.
Be that as it may, ル is used to transliterate final "l", never final "r". Examples:
ball/bowl - ボール
mail - メール
cancel - キャンセル

Whether the "r" is strongly rhotic or not (the final "r" in my name is quite rhotic), it's either ア (like door - ドア, computer - コンピュータ) or a lengthed "a" (Reyer - ライヤー, typewriter - タイプライター, helicopter - ヘリコプター). A Native speaker of Japanese will see ランカステル and assume it's "L/Rancastel".

And actually, using "ku" instead of "ka" would be perfectly acceptable, if that's how it's pronounced. "Gloucester" is "グロスター" and "Worcester, MA" is "ウースター", after all.

Last edited by Josh Reyer : 11-05-2007 at 03:08 AM.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer

Old 11-05-2007, 04:03 AM   #235
G DiPierro
United_States

Quote:
Joshua Reyer wrote: View Post
Whether the "r" is strongly rhotic or not (the final "r" in my name is quite rhotic), it's either ア (like door - ドア, computer - コンピュータ) or a lengthed "a" (Reyer - ライヤー, typewriter - タイプライター, helicopter - ヘリコプター). A Native speaker of Japanese will see ランカステル and assume it's "L/Rancastel".

And actually, using "ku" instead of "ka" would be perfectly acceptable, if that's how it's pronounced. "Gloucester" is "グロスター" and "Worcester, MA" is "ウースター", after all.
Thanks. In that case, I guess I should be using ランカスタ instead, since the pronunciation of the final 'r' is closest to the way it is in computer. Fairfield County is right on the northern border of Appalachia, and so you start to get a drawl here that you don't hear in Columbus. If you pronounce it lan-CAS-ter (or worse, LAHN-cah-sta, as in the UK), people will know that you aren't from around here, and this is the type of place where being from around here means a lot. Some people probably do say LANK-ster but I think that you would be more likely to hear that in the rural areas outside of town. Within the city of Lancaster I would say that something closer to LANK-ə-ster is typical.

Last edited by G DiPierro : 11-05-2007 at 04:17 AM.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:56 AM   #236
Will Prusner

United_States

I'm not trying to discredit anybody's convictions regarding this matter, however, I found these passages in "The Art of Peace"; following each other actually. I think they shed some light both on the topic and dynamic of this thread.

"The Art of Peace is the principle of nonresistance. Because it is nonresistant, it is victorious from the beginning. Those with evil intentions or contentious thoughts are instantly vanquished. The Art of Peace is invincible because it contends with nothing."

and...

"There are no contests in the Art of Peace. A true warrior is invincible because he or she contests with nothing. Defeat means to defeat the mind of contention that we harbor within."

Really makes me question both physical and intellectual interaction. I wish I could say that this is how I always conduct myself in daily life (and internet forums, haha).

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:07 PM   #237
G DiPierro
United_States

Quote:
"The Art of Peace is the principle of nonresistance. Because it is nonresistant, it is victorious from the beginning. Those with evil intentions or contentious thoughts are instantly vanquished. The Art of Peace is invincible because it contends with nothing."

and...

"There are no contests in the Art of Peace. A true warrior is invincible because he or she contests with nothing. Defeat means to defeat the mind of contention that we harbor within."
I'd say this means that the person doing aikido should not resist anything, not the person attacking. But feel free to interpret it however you want.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:25 PM   #238
Will Prusner

United_States

Quote:
I'd say this means that the person doing aikido should not resist anything, not the person attacking. But feel free to interpret it however you want.
To me, it seems that it would require two opposing forces for resistance to be able to exist in the first place. Just as it would require two people to be practicing aikido. If I am but alone, then with whom would I harmonize? So, in the dojo, both people ought to be practicing aikido or it might not be able to be called aikido. Just as in out on the street, for it to be aikido which is being performed, then all individuals must be involved (unknowingly or even unwillingly) in that hamonization.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:43 PM   #239
G DiPierro
United_States

Quote:
To me, it seems that it would require two opposing forces for resistance to be able to exist in the first place. Just as it would require two people to be practicing aikido. If I am but alone, then with whom would I harmonize? So, in the dojo, both people ought to be practicing aikido or it might not be able to be called aikido. Just as in out on the street, for it to be aikido which is being performed, then all individuals must be involved (unknowingly or even unwillingly) in that hamonization.
That's an interesting theory. Can you explain how someone attacking you in "the street", which is to say for real, is somehow more involved with "harmonizing" or "practicing aikido" with the person he is attacking than a practice partner who is simulating a realistic attack, including resistance against being thrown, etc., for training purposes within the dojo?

Old 11-05-2007, 01:49 PM   #240
Will Prusner

United_States

Quote:
That's an interesting theory. Can you explain how someone attacking you in "the street", which is to say for real, is somehow more involved with "harmonizing" or "practicing aikido" with the person he is attacking than a practice partner who is simulating a realistic attack, including resistance against being thrown, etc., for training purposes within the dojo?
Because the guy in the street is performing the role of the perfect Uke. He is giving an honest, committed attack. He's not trying to resist, he's trying to punch a face. What more could you ask from him as far as giving you something to harmonize with?

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #241
G DiPierro
United_States

Quote:
Because the guy in the street is performing the role of the perfect Uke. He is giving an honest, committed attack. He's not trying to resist, he's trying to punch a face. What more could you ask from him as far as giving you something to harmonize with?
How many times have you been in a real fight? What you are describing is how most people in aikido imagine a real attack to be like since it, not coincidentally, precisely matches the fake attacks they teach people to do in the dojo because that is what they need to make their techniques work.

It's very common for people to assume that harmony in aikido means that people should or will harmonize with them and meet their expectations; then when that doesn't happen they get upset and start reverting to the same childish behavior you see on the playground from ten year-olds (see another current thread for examples of this). I believe that it means that the person doing aikido should adapt to and harmonize with whatever the other person does, including resisting your attempts to throw him, which is what any sensible person would and should do.

Last edited by G DiPierro : 11-05-2007 at 02:30 PM.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:58 PM   #242
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Giancarlo:

SO, how many times have you been in a real fight? Your response to Will shows me that you have no real understanding about Aikido and about being in a real fight.

So Giancarlo, what are your qualifications to teach Aikido and Iado. What is your history with real fights? Still waiting for a response.

Marc Abrams

Old 11-05-2007, 03:02 PM   #243
Will Prusner

United_States

Quote:
How many times have you been in a real fight? What you are describing is how most people in aikido imagine a real attack to be like since it, not coincidentally, precisely matches the fake attacks they teach people to do in the dojo because that is what they need to make their techniques work.

It's very common for people to assume that harmony in aikido means that people should or will harmonize with them and meet their expectations; then when that doesn't happen they get upset and start reverting to the same childish behavior you see on the playground from ten year-olds (see another current thread for examples of this). I believe that it means that the person doing aikido should adapt to and harmonize with whatever the other person does, including resisting your attempts to throw him, which is what any sensible person would and should do.
Unfortunately, alot. But none since I started Aikido (February of this year). I think it works!!!

By the way, thanks, but I'm done with this topic. Happy trails, pard'ner!

Last edited by Will Prusner : 11-05-2007 at 03:05 PM.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:49 PM   #244
Don
Dojo: aikido of charlotte

Quote:
The only thing I would ask up front is that you keep an open mind. I suspect I do a lot of things differently than you do, and since you have been doing aikido for a while you probably assume that many of the things you do are right because that is how you learned them or that is how some high-ranking teacher does them.

As far as I'm concerned, nothing I do is absolutely right, it is just the best that I know at the moment. Anything and everything is open to be thrown completely out the window whenever new evidence comes along that there is something that is better or that makes more sense. Essentially, I take a scientific approach, since this is exactly how scientists regard their own theories and understanding (at least in principle; in practice people often bet their career on an idea and then have a hard time letting go when it is proven wrong).
Giancarlo: First thank you for the invitation. Second (and I really am saying this in the most sincere way I know how to) what you have said here implies to me that you do see things in the fundamental training that you have questions about, sometime perhaps valid questions pretaining to resistance. It's okay to want to strip away what may be teaching artifacts and get to the root of a technique or to understand how to deal with aggressive resistance. If you search the threads, I posted not too long ago a thread where I was asking for advice because I felt I was at a plateau and was not resolving some of those types of issues for myself. And people offered some good suggestions, which I appreciated. But you don't manage to get constructive help by coming on a forum like this and saying how you resisted this Shihan and that Shihan, challenging people and then not giving your training history! In the end, how well you do your aikido on the mat is what matters and not your lineage, but it does establish how the community here will react. Its the only thing they have to go on! You really really do raise some valid points as evidenced by the other threads on resistive training. But those questions have been overshadowed by your attitude! Now you've got people pissed off enough to go searching out your training history to verify or expose you! Do you really WANT that type of publicity?!!! I'm really not trying to rag on you but I would respectfully suggest you think about this and IF you are not intentionally just trying to stir up the water, tone it down, and see if maybe some other folks have constructive suggestions and so that they might actually listen to you. It's up to you, but that would seem to be a good way to get this thing back on an even keel....just my take on this whole thread.....

Old 11-05-2007, 04:13 PM   #245
Stephen Kotev
United_States

Quote:
What is it you want to me to stop, Steve? Posting on aikiweb? Do my posts disturb you that much? I have already said several times (this is probably the fourth or fifth time now) that if you don't want to read my posts then put me on your ignore list and don't come back and visit this thread. I won't mind, really. If you don't like what I have to say then don't read it. But I don't think you or anyone else (except Jun Akiyama, of course) is in a position to tell me not to post here, even if you were to ask nicely (which I don't think you actually did, BTW).

As far as meeting up with people I have no problem doing that. As you point out, I was in DC recently at the same seminar you were at. Nobody there asked me to demonstrate or prove what I can do. If you really wanted answers to the questions you raise why didn't you ask me to do this then? We could have even gotten it on videotape if you wanted.

Finally, Peter's Goldsbury offer was not to try to resist a shihan, but to offer advice on how the aikikai could improve their standards and practices. You might want to reread that post you linked to a bit more carefully. As far as trying to resist a shihan, as I said before I would be very interested in accepting that challenge. I think the problem that you will have is finding a shihan who is willing to do it.
Giancarlo,

Why should we take you seriously?

If your statements were made in-person we could test them immediately. Unfortunately, this is not possible. I don't think it is childish to verify credentials. Many are willing to accept "rank is over rated" accompanied with outside corroboration.

Take for example the internal' martial arts conversation on this bulletin board. There were many critical claims about Aikidoka's knowledge of ki. Many disagreed and others visited the claimant/s. They returned and verified or illuminated the original statements.

Attention has now turned to you. You are making several claims that people want to verify.

Two simple responses will change everything:

A.) Public statements of support from individuals other than yourself that verify your skill and ability

B.) Public statement from a former teacher vouching for you as their student. A statement of rank would be even more convincing.

The people who met you at the Endo Seminar did not have positive things to say about their experiences training with you. Why have not others who have personally met you replied in your defense?

Regards,
Stephen

Old 11-05-2007, 04:25 PM   #246
G DiPierro
United_States

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
SO, how many times have you been in a real fight?
Several times, many of them on the mat during aikido classes. I know it's hard to believe that someone as bland and uncontroversial as myself could get into a fight with people as mature and respectful as those who practice aikido (and post on aikido forums), but there you have it. In all of these cases, the way I was attacked was very different in intent, energy, and intensity from the way people attack in standard compliant training. The idea that the compliant attacks seen in most aikido training are in any way honest or sincere is a complete joke.

Instead of attacking with the intention of failing, as most people normally do in aikido, they attacked with intention of succeeding. And these were people who do not train in an art where there is any emphasis on learning how to mount a successful attack against someone trying to prevent it. I think that a person trained in such an art, like boxing, wrestling, or MMA, or even someone who has been in a lot of street fights, would present a much more challenging attack. So I choose to spend my training time working towards handling the most challenging attacks I can while still allowing me to be successful often enough to learn something, rather than training against the least challenging attacks that could theoretically be imagined just so that I can experience successfully performing some fancy techniques over and over again.

Quote:
So Giancarlo, what are your qualifications to teach Aikido and Iado. What is your history with real fights? Still waiting for a response.
My qualification to teach is my skill level. I have students who are yudansha and instructors in other forms of Japanese budo. They have been to Japan and/or trained directly with Japanese master-level instructors. They have other teachers who teach and train JSA. They choose to study Iaido with me because they like it and feel that they are learning something worthwhile. Among serious martial artists, this is really the only qualification that counts. Ranks and belts and what-not are just marketing tools to draw in the masses and keep people in line.

Last edited by G DiPierro : 11-05-2007 at 04:30 PM.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #247
G DiPierro
United_States

Quote:
Stephen Kotev wrote: View Post
Attention has now turned to you. You are making several claims that people want to verify.
Could you please enumerate exactly those claims that you wish me to verify? I have asked this several times and not received a response. Just constant reference to these mysterious "claims" along with the idea that if I had rank from a major group that would somehow constitute verification of these "claims." Tell me what claims I have made specifically that you would like to see verified.

Quote:
Two simple responses will change everything:

A.) Public statements of support from individuals other than yourself that verify your skill and ability

B.) Public statement from a former teacher vouching for you as their student. A statement of rank would be even more convincing.

The people who met you at the Endo Seminar did not have positive things to say about their experiences training with you. Why have not others who have personally met you replied in your defense?
I guess you only talked to the ones who had bad experiences then. This was certainly not everybody. Frankly, I would not ask anyone who knows me or trains with me in person to post here in my defense. They had nothing to do with creating this thread and I don't see any reason to drag them into this mess. I chose to expose myself to this by posting here, knowing as I did what kind of people read and post on this forum and the kind of responses I have gotten in the past and would be likely to get in the future. Dealing with them is entirely my responsibility. If that's not enough for you, so be it. As I said, while I was in DC you would have been welcome to ask to me to demonstrate or verify anything you want, and you still are if you are willing to make the trip to meet me. That's all I'm going to offer.

Last edited by G DiPierro : 11-05-2007 at 04:43 PM.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:25 PM   #248
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Quote:
Instead of attacking with the intention of failing, as most people normally do in aikido
This puzzles me.... Anyone who teaches Ukemi with the intention of failing is not teaching Aikido...A poor assumption on your part.

William Hazen

Old 11-05-2007, 05:58 PM   #249
nagoyajoe

Dojo: Kokikai Hombu Shushinkan Dojo, Nagoya
Japan

Quote:
Joshua Reyer wrote: View Post
Be that as it may, ル is used to transliterate final "l", never final "r". Examples:
ball/bowl - ボール
mail - メール
cancel - キャンセル

Very nicely done, Josh! Excellent explanation. Bravo.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:08 PM   #250
stan baker
Wake Island

what is the big deal he blocked satome sensei

stan

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Closed Thread