Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Websites

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-12-2012, 12:48 AM   #1
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Zukai Coach Aikido

Posted a few interesting scans from the book "Zukai Coach Aikido" ("Illustrated Coach Aikido") by Tsuruyama Kozui, published in 1971:

http://www.aikidosangenkai.org/zenph...-coach-aikido/

Best,

Chris

Old 03-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
Tengu859
Dojo: Yushinkan NYC
United_States
Re: Zukai Coach Aikido

I almost missed this thread. Chris are there any intresting tidbits in TK's book in regard to his involvement with Takuma Hisa and the early days of the Takumakai? This is one of those books that i've always been curious about. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks again.

ChrisW

PS more, more, more...!!!(scans)
Old 03-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Chris Western wrote: View Post
I almost missed this thread. Chris are there any intresting tidbits in TK's book in regard to his involvement with Takuma Hisa and the early days of the Takumakai? This is one of those books that i've always been curious about. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks again.

ChrisW

PS more, more, more...!!!(scans)
The book's kind of hard to find these days, even when I bought it (around 10 years ago) I had to go through some specialty used book sellers in Japan.

The book itself isn't all that interesting, it's part of the "Zukai Coach" ("Illustrated Coach") series of paperbacks that cover a whole range of sports and martial arts (I bought it because I was training with some of Tsuruyama Kozui's folks and I was curious). Basically it's a general overview of "Aikido" - he was a Takumakai instructor, but the Takumakai often uses the name "Aikido", also he tended to be kind of eclectic.

The book portrays Morihei Ueshiba as one of the branches off of the tree from Sokaku Takeda rather than a completely new martial art.

I'll put some more scans up when I get the chance - the one's that I put up are the most interesting, I think.

Tsuruyama himself was kind of controversial and made some enemies in the Daito-ryu community. I have no idea whether or not they were justified.

The folks that I trained with had a whole box of audio tapes of Tsuruyama talking to Takuma Hisa, he was meticulous about recording everything. I haven't heard them - but apparently they cast some light on his "troubles".

Best,

Chris

Old 03-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
Tengu859
United_States

Chris,

Thanks again. Just a quick question about the techniques presented in the series. Are the techniques similar to Hiden Mokuroku, Soden waza, or Prewar Aikido(Budo Renshu/Budo)? I'm a bit of an Daito ryu/Aikibudo junky(so forgive the questions)...!!! :0)
By the way, thanks for your very intresting blogs. Great job. If i'm ever in Hawaii...

ChrisW
Old 03-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Chris,

Thanks again. Just a quick question about the techniques presented in the series. Are the techniques similar to Hiden Mokuroku, Soden waza, or Prewar Aikido(Budo Renshu/Budo)? I'm a bit of an Daito ryu/Aikibudo junky(so forgive the questions)...!!! :0)
By the way, thanks for your very intresting blogs. Great job. If i'm ever in Hawaii...

ChrisW
The techniques he shows (mostly hand drawings) look pretty much like modern Aikido techniques - it seems he kept things pretty bland. I'll put up a few scans later. His students weren't terribly secretive, but they would only allow photography of a small portion of the Daito-ryu techniques - and it seems that this is the pattern that he followed in the book.

Best,

Chris

Old 03-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
Tengu859
United_States

Chris,

Cool. Much thanks. I look forward to those scans. I'll leave you alone for now...take care.

ChrisW
Old 03-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #7
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Chris,

Cool. Much thanks. I look forward to those scans. I'll leave you alone for now...take care.

ChrisW
Updated with a few more scans - I hope that you'll find them interesting...

http://www.aikidosangenkai.org/zenph...-coach-aikido/

Best,

Chris

Old 03-14-2012, 06:28 AM   #8
Tengu859
United_States

Chris,

Thanks for sharing. It was a nice peek into a book, that I would never have had an opportunity to see. Interesting scans(like you said, nice and vague). One more question...Did TK have connections with the budoka presented in the photos, or was he just presenting an overview of people involved in DR and Aikido? The dust jacket scan was intresting as well. Maybe the budo world is a bit smaller than I thought. Thank you. All the best.

ChrisW
Old 03-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #9
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Chris,

Thanks for sharing. It was a nice peek into a book, that I would never have had an opportunity to see. Interesting scans(like you said, nice and vague). One more question...Did TK have connections with the budoka presented in the photos, or was he just presenting an overview of people involved in DR and Aikido? The dust jacket scan was intresting as well. Maybe the budo world is a bit smaller than I thought. Thank you. All the best.

ChrisW
In the book it was intended to be an overview, I think. I know that he had interactions with at least some of them, but I couldn't say how much or how little.

Best,

Chris

Old 03-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #10
Tengu859
United_States

Chris,

Thank you for the info. It's much appreciated. Take care.

ChrisW