Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-17-2003, 07:42 AM   #51
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Hi Peter,

I decided to ignore the poster in question due to his rudeness. Sorry you had to see that. I hope all is well!

Ron
Old 12-17-2003, 11:25 AM   #52
Erik
Paul,

I'd say you nailed it!
Old 12-17-2003, 11:56 AM   #53
Alfonso
my apologies sirs, for indulging in being flippant.

apparently you're not parent to a little girl, so you wouldn't catch the reference to Mojo Jojo of Powerpuff girl fame (the literal english translation could be one of his rants)

I think the point of that particular discussion is related a bit to this topic.

Aikidog website is in a sense a transgression to Aikido traditions , aesthetics, it's "culture"... and yet, the "culture" and its traditions are questioned these days for being invented.

Take, the Masakatsu-Agatsu proverb. I learned (not sure how) the acception of overcoming oneself as the ultimate victory.

And yet, it appears that this is a product of our culture projecting our own beliefs onto the translation, if I am understading the discussion Prof Goldsbury offers in e-budo.

I shouldn't be surprised, given what I've been taught in Anthropology lessons, about what cultures are and how they come about.

I see mr. Delucia's presentation of Aikido as part of the change, the times that are affecting the "culture" of Aikido.

ah. my apologies again if my poor attempt at humor has offended you.

Last edited by Alfonso : 12-17-2003 at 12:02 PM.

Alfonso Adriasola
Old 12-17-2003, 12:30 PM   #54
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Thanks for the clarification, Alfonso. Yep, I'm generationally challenged, I've got no clue as to what kids watch these days. Sometimes I'm challenged in the humor department as well...

my bad.

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 12-17-2003, 10:07 PM   #55
SmilingNage
United_States
I went to the website and Delucia has a response to the aiki forums questions.

One warning light that has been pointed out before, is the lack of credentials. All references are vague. And no teachers are directly mentioned. That to me speaks volumes.

He maybe a good teacher, but if you dont supply a detailed history citing previous teachers and awards, thats sound very suspect. That casts a serious credibility shadow over what he is trying to do.

I am not attacking the fellow, but I ve always been taught to research before you train.

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:38 PM   #56
Chris Birke
I'm going to post Jason's reply here, for people who haven't gone to his website to see it. It seems he indended to post it here origionally. (Jason, I doubt they're blocking you; I bet it's just some weird internet bug, keep trying.)

//

Jason DeLucia Reply to Aikiweb Forum "What The Hell"

With regard to the individual and his comments regarding Mr. Ueshiba wearing tights.

Maybe you didn't know that Mr. Ueshiba was undefeated in sumo until he had a match against Sokaku Takeda and lost. What do you think these men wore when they did sumo. It's easy to be flipant when you've never put any thing on the line especially your life and then to stand around being condecending to people who have paid the real price of serious injury, broken bones, broken liver, brain damage ect. First, if you were trying to look clever you reveal ignorance. If your trying to show intelligence it's stupid and if you want to use fighting words, you better fight. As someone who has lived, fought and trained in Japan for the better part of a decade, being critisized by you in this manner is laughable.

Mr. Ueshiba took challenge constantly, so I see no need for Aikidoka to shy away if they choose to compete. If anyone is being disrespectful toward the art or it's practitioners, it's people who hide behind the premise of nonviolence but use fighting words a true pacifist does not not use words to insight violence. You can see from your remarks about Mr. Ueshiba in tights until you know that Ueshiba did sumo in a loin cloth you felt you were pretty clever or funny, you tried to be a beacon for something you don't know much about and in the same breath tried to put yourself on the same level with words that can only be acsended to with actions. This is common among arm chair Martial Artists, opinionated egotists and cowards. You want to pretend to have an understanding as deep as Mr. Ueshiba's or at least lead people to believe that you're some learned creature who has a unique understanding and insight.

I say with authority that you mislead people when you try to use a platform like this and embody it's antithesis. If you would honestly like to discuss something about Aikido, make it about Aikido instead of standing around pointing to what you think is or is not Aikido and being effrontery in the process.

p.s. If your wondering why these comments were not posted on the aikiweb, it's because we were denied access.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:49 PM   #57
Chris Birke
I think I owe Jason a partial apology, as I got him involved in this without asking him.

I wanted his take on Aikido to be discussed (and it is) but I didn't want to put the man on the line.

When you are discussing an idea, it's a fallacy to attack the man. Even an idiot can say 1 + 1 is 2. Saying he's wrong because he's an idiot doesn't make sense. Ideas must be evaluated independently.

My feelings in a nutshell are that Aikido needs way more randori training. Learning against a resisting opponent is invaluable.

Jason is closer to this approach than many, and although his website is goofy (sorry Jason, your website needs some serious simplification) his martial arts are rock solidly grounded for discussion.

People attacking his credentials: would you fight him in an even weight class if you had to? Would your respected sensei? Would you get destroyed? Is that reflective of something? Sometimes people can make their own credentials.

I evaluate a martial artist by his skill, not his lineage.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:35 AM   #58
Erik
Damn, I thought about doing the Sumo comment! Knee pads also are not that rare on the mat amongst the not so young knees.

However, this was an interesting comment,

p.s. If your wondering why these comments were not posted on the aikiweb, it's because we were denied access.

Knowing our host, this seems pretty unlikely to me, and, how hard would it be to register a second account?

Also,

People attacking his credentials: would you fight him in an even weight class if you had to? Would your respected sensei? Would you get destroyed? Is that reflective of something? Sometimes people can make their own credentials.

I can think of lots of people who could destroy me, on and off the mat, probably him included. It doesn't mean a damn thing as to whether or not they do aikido. Some of those people don't even do a martial art.

I would also like to see his "aikido" credentials. I'm not questioning his credentials as a fighter, nor the direction he's trying to take the art, which I'm inclined to think is positive. I'm simply curious who got him started down the aikido path? It's something I admit to having mixed feelings about. On the one hand, "the must train X years with a shihan" as the only way to learn aikido disgusts me as lunkheadedness. On the other hand, if you teach aikido, which for the most part still has it's lineage intact, then I don't think it's too much for someone to have spent a couple of years, at least, with a mainline Aikido instructor.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:29 AM   #59
Chris Birke
Eric, that's a good point you make, martial effectiveness isn't an end all determiner.

I regard it pretty highly, personally, as I tend to seek my philosophy from who I consider the best philosophers and my fighting from who I consider the best fighters, but, I must remember that by far my most skilled and favorite instructor is also a man of absolute integrity (the two go hand in hand very well).

I forgot that in Aikido things are a bit different in the sense of evaluating martial effectiveness and that the integrity of a person is tied in more tightly than mma at large. The question deserves it's own thread, and I done made it. =D
Old 12-18-2003, 08:51 AM   #60
SmilingNage
United_States
I dont want this to degrade into a melee, but posting credentials is important. It keeps crackpots from springing up claiming to be Martial Art teachers when they dont have the background or authority to open a dojo/training hall. That is just a general statement not direct at anyone in particular.

When I go to train at a dojo, I want to know the background of the teacher. Who were his teachers? How long have they been studying? How long have they been at this particular location? Who presented him with his rank?

This isnt personal attack. Its a search for answers to basic and honest questions.

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:11 AM   #61
Talon

Dojo: Aikido Zenshin Dojo
Canada
i participated in the past thread on MMA that Mr. Delucia was activelly posting in. I must say that I aways found his posts admirable. He comes across as a person with alot of experience in Martial Arts and a person that fell in love with Aikido like many of us. Furthermore, he comse acrros as an inteligent person that has no problems relaying information in a proper manner.

Whether his site is impressive or not doesnt really matter. Its the quick to judge comments that come from some of the people on these forums that are concerning to me. Some people didnt even know who he was yet they were quick to type their opinions of the site and the man.

I hope Mr. Delucia applies the Aikido techniques in the MMA events that he is intending to compete in. I for one would like to see him in the ring and chear for him. Remeber Aikido is a differnet path fro differnet people and O'Sensei never backed out of a challenge himself so there is nothing wrong with Mr. Delucia to chalange himself in the ring if thats his path.

As far as credentials are conserned, I belong to a small Dojo and my Sensei chose not to affiliate due to the hassle with politics and other costs and issues which have nothing to do with training. That was his choise and that doesnt make him any better or worse of an instructor than someone with a list of credentials.

When I picked my dojo I observed the way the Sensei perforemd techniques, explained the details of the techniques to their students and the way the students participated in class.

I pickd the dojo where the Sensei apperaed to me to be the best teacher and had the most realistic approach to Aikido since thats what I was looking for. The last thing that I was looking at were his credentials on paper, his past teachers or his affiliations.

All the best to Mr. Delucia and the rest of the Aikidoka on the forums.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:18 AM   #62
Michael Neal
I personally was more offended by the Aiki Golf site. The Delucia site is a little odd, but at least he is practicing Aikido as a martial art. I was even publically attacked by a senior member of my former Aikido dojo for daring to criticise the Aiki Golf site.
Quote:
My feelings in a nutshell are that Aikido needs way more randori training. Learning against a resisting opponent is invaluable
I think this is a worthwhile endeaver, some Aikido dojos do no randori at all, the ones that practice randori don't do it enough.

Probably 30 minutes of every practice should be dedicated to it (or at least 30 minute a week), even if it is just one on one light randori.

Every once in a while Aikido students should put on padded grappling gloves, headgear, and mouthguards and not try and knock eachothers heads off but practice techniques against more realistic strikes and such.

These types of things will boost the average Aikidoka's confidence and refine their technique for practical application.

You can do all this and still preserve the traditional aspects of the art.

Last edited by Michael Neal : 12-18-2003 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:16 AM   #63
Ted Marr
I've seen several references to this "offensive" aikigolf website on this thread... would someone be kind enough to provide a link for those of us who are curious?
Old 12-18-2003, 11:41 AM   #64
Erik
Quote:
Ted Marr wrote:
I've seen several references to this "offensive" aikigolf website on this thread... would someone be kind enough to provide a link for those of us who are curious?
www.kiaigolf.com
Old 12-18-2003, 11:51 AM   #65
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Quote:
Ted Marr wrote:
Google--> Kiai golf

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 12-18-2003, 11:55 AM   #66
Erik
Quote:
Chris Birke wrote:
I forgot that in Aikido things are a bit different in the sense of evaluating martial effectiveness and that the integrity of a person is tied in more tightly than mma at large. The question deserves it's own thread, and I done made it. =D
Chris, this isn't what I meant. Aikido is a damn subtle and refined art at high levels. Without going into character, it's possible for someone to apply a shiho nage, have it work, and I would not call it aikido, or not "good" aikido. In my opinion, it's about feel and what the person is doing, rather than a person's character as such. Effectiveness is part of it, but it's not it, by itself.

I started to write more but realized it would be a long post, and not on the topic, so maybe another day and in another thread. I do have a couple of lineage stories to share in the other thread, eventually.

Last edited by Erik : 12-18-2003 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:26 PM   #67
Michael Young

Dojo: Alamo City Aikido
In response to Mr. Delucia's statements about my posting.

O.K....I will not deny that O'Sensei practiced sumo, or that he wore a thu...or a loincloth...or even, might have been naked at some point in his life....but show me a picture or tell me a story you have heard of O'Sensei or his Deshi or any other Shihan or high ranking instructor with lineage and legitimate credentials practicing AIKIDO with blood on their chest, muscles flexing, and in tights. What is the purpose of displaying such pictures of yourself on a web site Mr. Delucia, is it to promote Aikido or to promote yourself? If it is the former and not the latter, then you have failed miserably IMO, and maybe you might want to consider (as some others here have suggested as well) re-designing the site. I have worn kneepads and knee braces and other bandages (haven't tried a loincloth yet ), etc. during my Aikido practice, but I was also wearing a keiko-gi and/or hakama at the time. I even have a drawing of O'Sensei given to me from Michio Hikitsuchi Sensei (he was one of O'Sensei's earliest students and he is the last 10th dan in Aikido living in the world, whom I had the opportunity to practice under him at one point)where O'Sensei is in a loincloth pulling a large tree out of the ground...but the picture is about a story from his history, not about his practice of Aikido. I don't want to keep splitting hairs over the statement I made about the description of your outfit on the site. IMO it was an example of what is wrong with your website. I was not trying to be flipant, or clever, nor was I trying to attack you Mr. Delucia, and in fact have posted a follow up pointing this out from the original post.

I will also not deny that O'Sensei took on challengers in his life...particularly the earlier years of his martial arts training. But I have heard stories, directly from Uchi-Deshi, of O'Sensei, as well as read from his and his Deshi's writings, that challengers were not allowed in the AIKIDO dojo...when they approached and demanded challenge they were denied or kicked out by the students. Why would O'Sensei deny challengers and do such things, if he truly was this purported great martial artist. Aikido is not combat, it is not fighting, it is not meeting aggression with aggrerssive response. Do your reading, asks high ranking legitimate instructors, and even preferably O'Sensei's direct students if you get the chance...I have Mr. DeLucia. ALL of my kyu and balck-belt rankings have come from direct students of O'Sensei. I too have practiced in Japan, and had the great opportunity to travel in Japan and meet and practice under a number of Shihan. Do I step into rings to test the effectiveness of my Aikido? No, and neither do your Mr. Delucia. Don't delude yourself or others into thinking you are practicing Aikido in a MMA ring. As I stated before...you may be applying some of the techniques and principles you learned in a dojo..but you are not practicing Aikido there. I don't deny that you may be a very good or even great martial artist...but just like me, you have a long way to go in your Aikido practice, and I wish you the best in that endeavor. Reading books, watching videos, and 10 years of Aikido practice doesn't give anyone a unique vision of Aikido, at least not insofar as to claim to have developed something new and better.

As to myself and why I think I can post an opinion. First of all, this is America and anybody can do so...hardly the best reason, but one none-the-less. I love to see most of the opinions and ideas shared here on the boards, rather from non-practitioners, beginners, different countrymen(and women), experienced practioners, and even those from other MAs. Rergardless wether they are an expert on some subject or not. Everyone has something to offer, including you Mr. Delucia...but here is my Caveat Emptor...keep it rational, respectful, and non-threatening. Don't hurl insults and challenges to others because they disagree with you...I try not to do so myself, and if something comes accross that way, I apologize immediately...It is simple courtesy that we all need to apply here, and sometimes, I guess, courtesy is not that simple, and needs to be practiced constantly...that is part of Aikido...not from my mouth, but from my instructors'.

Let me put some of your statements about me, into a question/answer format. Do I step into competetive rings to test myself? No. Have I ever? Yes. Do I put my body on the line to test my Aikido or myself? Well, that is a complicated question that deserves a little longer answer. My current Aikido instructor is in law enforcement, he prefers not to tell everyone precisely what it is he does, but he has no problem with me stating the fact that he was a street cop for a few years and worked drug vice in Baltimore. Now, his mettle was tested everyday he went to work...both in direct physical confrontations, and his communication and interaction with criminals and citizens. That is true life and death....not a contest in a ring. He is my instructor, his views and take on Aikido have been tested and developed directly in life and death struggles... someting interesting he has related to me is that everytime he got into a contest of trying to aggressively "beat" or "conquer" someone, it turned into a struggle of muscle to muscle and who was biggest and fastest. As he began to progress further in his Aikido, he learned how to manipulate aggressive criminals through Aikido principles...never thinking about winning/losing, defeat/conquer...but instead allowed the aggressor to "find where he/she needed to go". His instuctor in Aikido is a Shiahn and Uchi-Deshi of O'Sensi as well, that is where my instuctor's lineage comes from. He brings all of this to the dojo, and in fact I left another instructor and school to train with him because of precisely those reasons. So, do I need to go out and pick fights to test Aikido and see if it works? No I don't think so, I'll trust these guys.

We practice very hard in our dojo, with a critical eye toward the practical application of the physical and internal sides of Aikido, while not loosing site of the tradition and principles as of non-aggression...these things are not mutually exclusive...I don't say that from an "armchair" perspective either...

Not to turn this into a diatribe of self-aggrandizement, but you have inferred that I am both stupid and a coward for having the audacity to relate my opinions about your website...it doesn't really concern me that YOU think so, but I also think that if I am going to legitimately keep posting on this subject, I have to answer those allegations. Let me relate where I come from and why I study Aikido...I deal with life and death everyday too..I am constantly in harm's way...I work as a professional firefighter in the 9th largest city in the US. I can't even count how many times I have been in life and death struggles. I have been shot at while trying to stop the bleeding of patients; I have been inside burning building while they collapse around me; I constantly deal with the effects of crime, disease, and natural disasters and the harm they do to other people (including the crewmen I am responsible for) and myself. I have no delusions about the profession I have chosen, nor do I expect praise from others in order to do it...I know what I signed up for from the beginning.

What I do expect is not to be called a coward, I don't think I deserve that. As for being stupid...well, there is no denying that I have done stupid things...but I hardly think that qualifies me as wholly stupid. I have earned a college education and have promoted in my profession to the point that I now am an offcier in command of my own crew...There must be some trust in my intelligence from my superiors to be placed in such a position. Now, in my job and daily life, I have not had to engage in a direct physical confrontation with anyone...although I try to apply the principles of awareness, correct action, and courtesy in everything I do. What I have had many times is the opportunity to avoid physical confrontation, and help others to do so, when things have gotten heated, and I attribute this to my Aikido practice. I took striking MAs for years also, and competed in tournaments, but got tired of that stuff and decided to seek something else out...(there is nothing wrong with other MAs, I simply am doing someting else now). So, yes, Mr. Delucia I have and do put my life on the line...and am responsible for looking after others who do so also. Its not a ring with a referee, its real life, and it is where I try to test the mettle of myself and Aikido. I don't think any of that qualifies me as an "armchair martial artist".

None of my words were fighting words Mr. Delucia, they were simply opinions that you and others have the opportunity to discuss the legitimacy of, about your website. I also spoke respectfully about you to one of your students in a private message and on this thread. I never stooped to saying I am an expert on anything, or hurling insults or veiled challenges. I did say I had no knowledge of you as martial artist or instructor... I have no intention of fighting or competing with others Mr. Delucia, I have enough of that to do inside of myself. I do wish you, and your students, the best in your martial arts and personal developement...but I still stand by opinions about your website.

Regards,

Mike

PS. I'm not a pacifist either...but that's for another thread...
Old 12-18-2003, 01:30 PM   #68
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Two days ago I prepared a note for this thread but it disappeared under Aikiweb's time limit. Oops! (My response at the time was not so moderate.)

Although I too would like to know who Mr. Delucia's teachers have been, even if he learned his aikido from a book, this is still following Osensei in practice, right? (We all do remember that episode where he was asked to teach Naginata which he promptly undertook to study by placing a pulp novel on the KAMIDANA and dreaming it's curriculum. If Mr. Delucia did that, we'd call him a fraud, right?)

I mostly support Mr. Delucia. Is what he does (juding by the site) textbook aikido? Hardly. But then, who among us follows the ideal so assiduously? Aikido has plenty of wiggle room here and there are sanctimonious bliss-ninnies cloaking their martial incapacities in universal-love rhetoric just as Mr. Delucia alleges.

If he wants to take his training into competition, it is not the venue nor his panties defining his aikido but his attitude. This is between himself and his conscience.

And if he promotes himself? It seems he stoops to commercialism and sponsorship. Well, maybe his father wasn't as wealthy as Osensei's. And remember, when that dole ran out, it was soldiers, admirals, spies, plotters, and assassins supporting the founder. Wiggle room, indeed.

More comments follow after my initials.
Quote:
Michael Young wrote:
O.K....I will not deny that O'Sensei practiced sumo, or that he wore a thu...or a loincloth...

DJM: That was a clever rejoinder, wasn't it!

....but show me a picture or tell me a story you have heard of O'Sensei or his Deshi or any other Shihan or high ranking instructor with lineage and legitimate credentials practicing AIKIDO with blood on their chest,

DJM: "Blood on their chest." Assuming you're speaking metaphorically...The story is told, of Ueshiba accepting a challenge from a judo player, crushing the man's hip thus ruining his career (apologies for providing no reference; I think I read this on Aikidojournal.com or in one of Stanley's books). Shioda boasts in his Aikido Shugyo of breaking a bottle over a man's head and then driving the broken shards into his face. One of the founder's close students was executed as a war criminal (in Aikido Masters by Stanley Pranin, if I recall aright.) Several highly regarded Ueshiba Honbu Shihan are infamous for injuring students (see editorial by Stanley Pranin.) Many went out to try their technique in the street.

What is the purpose of displaying such pictures of yourself on a web site Mr. Delucia, is it to promote Aikido or to promote yourself?

DJM: Golly. What would we make of it if he circulated pictures in which he had pinned TWO men at once and was standing over them, er, as we have seen with pictures of Osensei?

....kneepads and knee braces...loincloth...keiko-gi...hakama...O'Sensei is in a loincloth...your outfit...

DJM: No stranger to the attraction of esthetics myself, I still have to remark that all this is ephemera--cultural, historical, or utilitarian perhaps, but hardly worth serious consideration. Aikido is not defined by underwear and skirts.

....challengers were not allowed in the AIKIDO dojo...when they approached and demanded challenge they were denied or kicked out by the students.

DJM: As were some interviewers. The UCHIDESHI infamously cloistered the man from things of which he himself seemed to approve (PAG relates, "I am struck by the powerful response which O Sensei's personal presence evoked in these individuals. And a number of them have very particularly remarked on his openness to foreigners even in situations where many around him were leery and advised against taking on one or another student for reasons of nationality or social status." see http://143.207.8.139/cgi-bin/ubb/ult...c&f=9&t=000618.)

Why would O'Sensei deny challengers and do such things, if he truly was this purported great martial artist. Aikido is not combat, it is not fighting, it is not meeting aggression with aggrerssive response.

DJM: Yeah. I find that kind of disturbing, myself. Neither fish, nor fowl, nor good red herring is this aikido. When challenged, its' not fighting; when ridiculed, it is. More wiggle room.

Do I step into rings to test the effectiveness of my Aikido? No, and neither do your Mr. Delucia....you are not practicing Aikido there.

DJM: Whether he's trying to win a trophy or trying to ratchet up his level of ability with stiffer training--only he knows this in his heart.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 12-18-2003, 11:14 PM   #69
Usagi Yojimbo
Dojo: Shinkikan Aikikai Aikido of Corpus Christi
Ai Carramba!!! Stumbled into a war zone here... alright, well in my opinion, as we've heard one too many times already, Aikido is in no way about fighting. So it's not really true Aikido in the sense that it's used aggresivly in fighting. I mean, I've been taught Aikido is all about pacifism and what not, to avoid the fight altogether if possible. Am I mistaken in this assesment of the art? If so, then I'm wrong and it really IS Aikido. If I'm right, however, then it's just fighting. I personally do sparr with a friend of mine. I LIKE sparring. I figure there's no way to get stronger without getting your arse kicked first. Of course I don't really use Aikido while sparring (one reason being I'm not fast and fluid enough to use it effectivly, two, as I said before, it wouldn't be true Aikido). Well, I altogether don't have a problem with the guy instructing or anything, as long as it's done in a more traditional method. One of the reasons I like Aikido, is because of its tradition, as all Martial Arts (although Karate I still haven't figured out...). The main thing that bugs me is the name "AikiDog" or whatever it was. In my thoughts, "what the hell?" applies directly to this. Aikido is something from Japan. Japanese culture is, or maybe just was, strewn (sp?) with honour. Honour was the very basis of samurai (yes I do realise they were people too and would act dishonourably at times, but there were still good samurai as well). And to call yourself a "dog" while practicing martial arts just makes me wonder what the holy hand pies is moving through that head of yours. One too many landings on your head perhaps? If you can get past the blatant self-promotion and the "dog" thing, then there's some good. ... Aikidog my ... foot...

My head hurts...
Old 12-19-2003, 02:08 AM   #70
Thalib

Dojo: 合気研究会
Indonesia
Wow... long rants... but I agree with most of them.

Though I disagree with DeLucia's (Did I spell the name right?) Aikido, or should I say AikiDog, I do not believe it's worth the effort saying wether he's right or he's wrong. These type of things has a history that even dates back to even before I was born.

Yes, some of us are offended by DeLucia's use of Aikido, but as long as we keep true to ourselves, why are we bothering over this? What DeLucia is doing is his business.

Things like this just amuses me sometimes, but since it has no bad effect on my Aikido, all I do is just smile.

When I have to die by the sword, I will do so with honor.
--------
http://funkybuddha.multiply.com/
Old 12-19-2003, 10:32 PM   #71
Michael Young

Dojo: Alamo City Aikido
In regards to the Aiki-golf site:

http://www.kiaigolf.com/

At least the guy is wearing a Hakama and Gi..

HAHAHAHAHAHHA!

-Mike

PS. Nobody get their hakamas (or whatever you wear on the mat ) in a wad please...I'm just poking some fun at myself.
Old 12-19-2003, 11:04 PM   #72
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
I see the picture with Doran Sensei causing her to vibrate is gone.
Old 12-20-2003, 12:43 AM   #73
indomaresa
Dojo: Aiki Kenkyukai
can someone help Mr. Jason get online here? I'd like to hear from him too.

Maybe he can e-mail someone on this thread, to be posted here?

The road is long...
The path is steep...
So hire a guide to show you the shortcuts
Old 12-20-2003, 05:52 PM   #74
Michael Neal
Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
I see the picture with Doran Sensei causing her to vibrate is gone.
Actually its still there, LOL

http://www.kiaigolf.com/aikido3.htm

"Note the calm flow of Ki from Doran Sensei -- and its vibrant electrical effect on Jamie Sensei!"

Priceless

Old 12-21-2003, 05:23 AM   #75
shihonage
United_States
Quote:
Michael Neal wrote:
Actually its still there, LOL

http://www.kiaigolf.com/aikido3.htm

"Note the calm flow of Ki from Doran Sensei -- and its vibrant electrical effect on Jamie Sensei!"

Priceless
"Causing the perverted enemy to attack

I must then stand behind his form

And so cut the enemy down

With a golf ball"

- O Sensei