Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions > Events Listings: Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-01-2011, 10:43 AM   #26
DH
United_States
Re: Dan Harden in San Francisco Nov 12-13th, 2011

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Dan, emailing + PMing you w/ contact info in case you need transport from airport or any other pre seminar stuff.
Thanks kiddo
I got the earlier one about some sight seeing together. I might be staying with a couple I know in SF, but they might have to work. So I might be up for a lovely lady taking me for a tour...
I will be in town Friday mid morning and the seminar is in concord that night ...so that isn't a lot of time.
see you soon
Dan
Old 11-01-2011, 11:25 AM   #27
BWells
Dojo: ADV
United_States

Just an FYI. The Friday session starts at 6 but I'll be at the dojo around 4:30 if some one comes early. Note that up till 4:30 no one will be at the dojo that day.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:09 PM   #28
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Thanks kiddo
I got the earlier one about some sight seeing together. I might be staying with a couple I know in SF, but they might have to work. So I might be up for a lovely lady taking me for a tour...
I will be in town Friday mid morning and the seminar is in concord that night ...so that isn't a lot of time.
see you soon
Dan
Sounds like we can easily connect before noon without me having to sacrifice TOO much beauty sleep (Mendo time is akin to Island time.... )

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 11-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #29
Janet Rosen

OK... any out of towners besides me looking for place to sleep for this seminar? Any locals have space to offer or anybody wanting to share motel costs? Shoot me a PM.

Janet Rosen
Old 11-03-2011, 08:42 AM   #30
MM
United_States

Quote:
OK... any out of towners besides me looking for place to sleep for this seminar? Any locals have space to offer or anybody wanting to share motel costs? Shoot me a PM.
Would love to be out there for this one, meet, and say hi. But, doesn't look like I'll make it.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #31
Janet Rosen

Someday, Mark!

Janet Rosen
Old 11-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #32
Rob Watson
United_States

Managed to through my back out this weekend ... dancing with 8 year olds should not be taken lightly.

RICEing my way towards being good enough to attend ...

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #33
Janet Rosen

Looking forward to meeting you Rob. I'm nursing a cold and taking it very easy to be ready....

Janet Rosen
Old 11-08-2011, 02:46 AM   #34
DH
United_States

Whew...me too. I'm nursing....uhm....er....something. And I'm doing it with snorkling, scuba diving, daily massages, and coconut drinks in the sun...
I think I need juuuust a few more days....
Old 11-08-2011, 08:47 AM   #35
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Whew...me too. I'm nursing....uhm....er....something. And I'm doing it with snorkling, scuba diving, daily massages, and coconut drinks in the sun...
I think I need juuuust a few more days....
Oh you POOR POOR fella....at least you'll be nice and relaxed when you meet all us TENSE aikido people!

Janet Rosen
Old 11-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #36
Janet Rosen

HEY DAN! I have some of my homemade kimchee. You want I should bring some down to the Bay Area so we can have more, um, like Phi says, "ki"? :-)

Janet Rosen
Old 11-09-2011, 10:42 AM   #37
jzimba

I may have already left my heart here. Civilization... a beautiful thing. Was there an e-mail with venue information? I may have missed it in the scramble. If so, please forward.

See y'all Fri.

Z
Old 11-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #38
Janet Rosen

http://www.advdojo.org/newmap.html

The address is :
Aikido of DiabloValley
1674 Challenge Drive, Concord, Ca 94520
phone: 925-676-6763

Janet Rosen
Old 11-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #39
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
HEY DAN! I have some of my homemade kimchee
kimchee, food of the god...as in OOOOH GOOOOODDDD!

reminded me, one of my college house mate, a korean, whose mom whenever she came to visit, she would bring a clay jar of kimchee. he opened that thing, and my eyes watered from across the room, then the paint, on the wall behind me, peeled off. he ate it and he was crying, sweating and in lots of pain, but totally happy. i ate it once, only once, and i had to shove a freezer up my behind for days after. i think kimchee should be listed under WMD or at the very least, paint stripper or possibly for metal etching. then there was the curry pickled mango from an Indian friend which should be in the same category.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 11-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #40
Howard Popkin
Dojo: www.pbjjc.com
United_States

Phi,

Forget martial arts - go into comedy

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
kimchee, food of the god...as in OOOOH GOOOOODDDD!

reminded me, one of my college house mate, a korean, whose mom whenever she came to visit, she would bring a clay jar of kimchee. he opened that thing, and my eyes watered from across the room, then the paint, on the wall behind me, peeled off. he ate it and he was crying, sweating and in lots of pain, but totally happy. i ate it once, only once, and i had to shove a freezer up my behind for days after. i think kimchee should be listed under WMD or at the very least, paint stripper or possibly for metal etching. then there was the curry pickled mango from an Indian friend which should be in the same category.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #41
Janet Rosen

First, the huge THANK YOUs:
To Dan, for being Dan
To Gerardo and Natasha, for suggesting he visit northern Calif and generally paving the way
To Rick and the folks at ADV, for being willing to host so graciously on such short notice
To all the others who attended, for training with open hearts

Second, in the spirit of the Aikido Wag of the East Coast....a review from a confused newbie....

So, I guess I got my locations mixed up; I thought it was the Popkin Bar Mitzvah, but when I showed up, they said "No, its a Dan seminar." I said "Well, too bad, I"m just a brown belt." They told me to shut up and train.
There was a guy talking something about Japanese arts and about bows, so I thought it was a class on that cool gift wrapping thing they do. They told me no, it has a martial application, so I thought "Cool! Never did kyudo before." But they never brought out a target, just a whiteboard that kept falling down so I guess he was demonstrating no-touch throws. Finally he got his ki under control and started drawing circles and arrows.
I started to get nervous about missing the Popkin Bar Mitzvah but they said to shut up and train, here push this guy. So I pushed him and he stood there. So I pushed him harder and he stood there but I didn't feel like I was pushing him. So I got all Brooklyn on him and pushed really hard with a lot of attitude and then I wasn't pushing anymore because I was moving up, down and around like it was a carnival ride.
I've got a whole lot of notes about stuff I'm supposed to practice, which I guess I have time to work on since I don't have to write a note saying Thank You for inviting me to the Popkin Bar Mitzvah.

Janet Rosen
Old 11-14-2011, 06:43 AM   #42
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
So, I guess I got my locations mixed up; I thought it was the Popkin Bar Mitzvah, but when I showed up, they said "No, its a Dan seminar." I said "Well, too bad, I"m just a brown belt." They told me to shut up and train.
hey, sounded like you and i went to each other seminars. my seminar was very touchy, feely californian stuffs. we were told to get in touch with our inner women thing. i think our seminar locations got switch some how. i tell you that those martial arts organizers need some reorganizing.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 11-14-2011, 12:54 PM   #43
Thomas Campbell

Quote:
So I got all Brooklyn on him and pushed really hard with a lot of attitude
Old 11-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #44
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
There was a guy talking something about Japanese arts and about bows, so I thought it was a class on that cool gift wrapping thing they do. They told me no, it has a martial application, so I thought "Cool! Never did kyudo before."
Well kyudos to you!

Gambarimashyo!
Old 11-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #45
Howard Popkin
United_States

sorry I missed the bar-mitzvah, but it sounds like you got lots of good presents !

Old 11-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #46
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Quote:
Howard Popkin wrote: View Post
sorry I missed the bar-mitzvah, but it sounds like you got lots of good presents !
Howie:

You missed your own bar mitzvah! Oy Vhey! What is your mother going to think? Next thing you know, you will become one of them.....

Marc Abrams
Old 11-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #47
Howard Popkin
United_States

Old 11-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #48
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
Well kyudos to you!
Dang, I'm slipping, somebody ELSE slipped a pun in before me...must be getting all dazed and confused thanks to Dan. Yeah. I'm going to blame it on him

Janet Rosen
Old 11-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #49
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Howard Popkin wrote: View Post
Dunno about that, but I think we gave Dan a very nice reception!

Janet Rosen
Old 11-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #50
Janet Rosen

In all seriousness: I wasn't planning to do an actual "seminar review" because I don't have much to add to what others (with way more years and experience in aikido) have said before after having a chance to meet and train w/ Dan. There is one thing I would like to address, which is the often-bandied about phrase "It has to be felt", used on aikiweb so often that it merits its own "IHTBF"

I had always taken this to mean that one has to be on the receiving end of Dan's stuff to truly gauge what it is. Now that is certainly true. But it applies just as much to the learning process.

I am lousy on learning movement in terms of really gross movement like stepping and turning. But I am one of those people who has the mixed blessing/curse of being very very sensitive to changes within my body - I've always been able to feel and relate whether a sensation or pain was coming from an organ or a muscle or something else, for instance.
So usually it is fairly easy for me to follow an instruction whether it's anatomic/physiologic, like engage your lats or do a Valsalva or more energetic, like breathe into your low back or move the heat from your head to your hands.
But there is NO WAY I could have correctly done most of what Dan was asking of us without his hands isolating on my body what to keep still/not engage and what to focus on engaging. A couple of the very basic things I was taught this wkend I still can't do but at least having had them isolated and felt, I can call upon that and focus on learning to isolate and engage.
So...yeah....videos pointless, even talking pointless....IHTBF!

Janet Rosen